Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    paulg1947 said:
    Valley11 said:
    AndyG said:
    After the initial reaction when Garner was mentioned have people changed their thoughts now ? Would he be a decent signing or not ?
    I’ve no idea with Charlton any more. 

Is Garner a smart up-and-coming coach who plays attractive, modern football, or a Palace reject who got the push from Bristol Rovers? 
    Is TS a good owner, or a power crazed dictator with a guitar who has installed his son as a sort of CEO? 
    Is Albie Morgan the worse midfielder we’ve got, or the man to lead us to the title?

Think I’ll just enjoy the cricket this summer and forget about it for a bit.
    Enjoy cricket ? mm. Is that a 'tongue in cheek' joke? Gee Charlton must be bad to watch.
    When you support Charlton at football and Sussex at cricket, Charlton is my chance to enjoy the good times nowadays.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    AndyG said:
    After the initial reaction when Garner was mentioned have people changed their thoughts now ? Would he be a decent signing or not ?
     I'll put my hand up and admit I thought it was a crap choice before doing any research, it was a case of who's Garner?? 

I've since changed my stance on him, and if TS wants a young, upcoming manager who plays forward thinking attacking football, Garner certainly fits the bill. 

I was pleasantly surprised of his mindset after listening to the 90+ minute interview he gave on a podcast, when he mentioned how he's studied a psychology and NLP, (neuro linguistic programming) that being the way humans develop pathways In the brain that certain thoughts and behaviours become habitual, and implements strategies that assist in achieving personal goals. 

Swindons data record this past season is impressive, especially as they had 7 1st team players when he joined, and how he turned that squad into promotion challengers. 

He's also been in the game long enough to have a good network, working at Premier league, and championship clubs as 1st team coach. 

His time at Bristol was cut short, and he admits he didn't get things completely right, but he was asked to build the whole club culture, with plenty of behind the scenes work too. He stated he learnt a lot from the experience. 

His training sessions are apparently meticulously planned, and he has different ways to educate the players on what he wants to achieve, learning lots from working in India. 

He admits he feels he has to work harder to gain the trust of his squad, due to a short footballing  career, which had little success, I believe he has a drive and passion that more established managers may not, imho. 

His stock is definitely on the rise, and I for one thinks he could very well be successful with us, IF Thomas and Co gets the right resources and building blocks in, including Garner's own coaching team signed too,  the recruitment right,  and IF it's done early so he can get to work in pre season to drive his message home before the league kicks off. A few IF's I know...

It'll be a fresh start for us, one I think that's needed, it'll shake up the squad we've retained who've gotten used to the same faces and routines around the training ground for a few years, bar Adkins last season. 

All of this is just my take on it, and him. To be honest, Im quite excited about him getting the job. It's a bold choice, but I think it's what we need. 
    Excellent post and mirrors what I think, once I saw the image that has been posted previously (will attach again for reminder) and heard him talk my mind was made up, you just cant fluke those kind of team traits/stats, especially at a lower level with a lower budget where you can’t cherry pick players.

I genuinely believe he’s gonna be the manager to elevate Albies game and get the best out of Fraser. I’m excited to see what he can do with better players at his disposal. 
    Well we can only hope, but it’s also possible he’ll be the manager to say that he hasn’t quite got what it takes, if we want to progress. He’s had more chances to prove himself than most young players get, but just when you think it might happen for him he tends to miss that final pass, or will fail to hit the target when shooting. Would be happy if Garner could get ten or twenty percent more out of him of course. 
  • Options
    As stated above, I think Fraser would be a vital cog in Garner's system. That's exciting. I think Chuks and CBT will also be workable, maybe even Kirk.

I can't see how Stockley would fit in though.
    Garner made good use of Davison at Swindon, a not dissimilar player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As stated above, I think Fraser would be a vital cog in Garner's system. That's exciting. I think Chuks and CBT will also be workable, maybe even Kirk.

Also will allow us to mix it up on occasion and when you cross a ball you want him in the middle.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    AndyG said:
     I'll put my hand up and admit I thought it was a crap choice before doing any research, it was a case of who's Garner?? 

I've since changed my stance on him, and if TS wants a young, upcoming manager who plays forward thinking attacking football, Garner certainly fits the bill. 

I was pleasantly surprised of his mindset after listening to the 90+ minute interview he gave on a podcast, when he mentioned how he's studied a psychology and NLP, (neuro linguistic programming) that being the way humans develop pathways In the brain that certain thoughts and behaviours become habitual, and implements strategies that assist in achieving personal goals. 

Swindons data record this past season is impressive, especially as they had 7 1st team players when he joined, and how he turned that squad into promotion challengers. 

He's also been in the game long enough to have a good network, working at Premier league, and championship clubs as 1st team coach. 

His time at Bristol was cut short, and he admits he didn't get things completely right, but he was asked to build the whole club culture, with plenty of behind the scenes work too. He stated he learnt a lot from the experience. 

His training sessions are apparently meticulously planned, and he has different ways to educate the players on what he wants to achieve, learning lots from working in India. 

He admits he feels he has to work harder to gain the trust of his squad, due to a short footballing  career, which had little success, I believe he has a drive and passion that more established managers may not, imho. 

His stock is definitely on the rise, and I for one thinks he could very well be successful with us, IF Thomas and Co gets the right resources and building blocks in, including Garner's own coaching team signed too,  the recruitment right,  and IF it's done early so he can get to work in pre season to drive his message home before the league kicks off. A few IF's I know...

It'll be a fresh start for us, one I think that's needed, it'll shake up the squad we've retained who've gotten used to the same faces and routines around the training ground for a few years, bar Adkins last season. 

All of this is just my take on it, and him. To be honest, Im quite excited about him getting the job. It's a bold choice, but I think it's what we need. 
    Excellent post and mirrors what I think, once I saw the image that has been posted previously (will attach again for reminder) and heard him talk my mind was made up, you just cant fluke those kind of team traits/stats, especially at a lower level with a lower budget where you can’t cherry pick players.

I genuinely believe he’s gonna be the manager to elevate Albies game and get the best out of Fraser. I’m excited to see what he can do with better players at his disposal. 
    Very similar to the stats produced by Manning at MK Dons. Neither sides managed to get promoted. However it will be nice to see a team with an actual game plan, rather than looking totally disjointed and clueless. 
    Doesn’t prove you can’t get promoted with a possession style of course. Both would have gone up automatically with one more win. That could come down to one poor performance in which they lost 1-0 but should have scored 2 or 3.

I don’t generally want tippy tappy football at the back but if it gets results and we’re one of the top scorers in the division then that’s very different to what we’ve seen before. Robinson and Peeters tried it but we didn’t have the players for it, especially not at the attacking end of the pitch. It could be great to watch if we get the right signings in.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    At this stage I really don't care if we get promoted, just want to watch half decent football and not leave the ground depressed more often than not.
    Im the total opposite, I’d be happy with the worst football in the world, if it got us out of this league, ive had enough of league one. 
    Yeah but you don't have to go and watch it 😅
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    ozaddick said:
    AndyG said:

Very similar to the stats produced by Manning at MK Dons. Neither sides managed to get promoted. However it will be nice to see a team with an actual game plan, rather than looking totally disjointed and clueless. 
    Doesn’t prove you can’t get promoted with a possession style of course. Both would have gone up automatically with one more win. That could come down to one poor performance in which they lost 1-0 but should have scored 2 or 3.

I don’t generally want tippy tappy football at the back but if it gets results and we’re one of the top scorers in the division then that’s very different to what we’ve seen before. Robinson and Peeters tried it but we didn’t have the players for it, especially not at the attacking end of the pitch. It could be great to watch if we get the right signings in.
    I’d be happy if we could just pass to a red shirt (when we are playing in red of course!)
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    AndyG said:

Both managers who joined very late on though. Garner started two weeks before Swindon's first game with 7 players at his disposal and Manning started the day before MK Dons' second league match, so they both had to try and impress their style on a team in a very short space of time. In both cases I think if the season had gone on a week or two longer they might have made the automatics, so having a full pre-season to prepare might have been what they needed to go up automatically. Plus it's not like they failed completely, both got done in the Play-Offs, and we know full well that all form, ability and sense goes out the window with that nonsense. We finished 15 points ahead of Doncaster and had a two goal lead after two minutes of the second leg, but we still needed to get the luck on penalties to go up. I know people are getting very itchy about us not having a manager in yet but we're still a long, long way ahead of those appointments.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    AndyG said:

Both managers who joined very late on though. Garner started two weeks before Swindon's first game with 7 players at his disposal and Manning started the day before MK Dons' second league match, so they both had to try and impress their style on a team in a very short space of time. In both cases I think if the season had gone on a week or two longer they might have made the automatics, so having a full pre-season to prepare might have been what they needed to go up automatically. Plus it's not like they failed completely, both got done in the Play-Offs, and we know full well that all form, ability and sense goes out the window with that nonsense. We finished 15 points ahead of Doncaster and had a two goal lead after two minutes of the second leg, but we still needed to get the luck on penalties to go up. I know people are getting very itchy about us not having a manager in yet but we're still a long, long way ahead of those appointments.
    True, but as a caveat in Manning's case he didn't need to impose anything - their style was already baked-in
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    I don't particularly want Garner, but I'm willing to get behind him.
    Bring on the Kenneth Williams gif!!🤣
    If ever a quote deserved it, it was that one  :D 
    I know I was chuckling to myself like a child!!😂
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    ozaddick said:
    AndyG said:

True, but as a caveat in Manning's case he didn't need to impose anything - their style was already baked-in
    So what you’re saying is their owners chose a style of play and brought in players and a head coach to fit that?
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    At this stage I really don't care if we get promoted, just want to watch half decent football and not leave the ground depressed more often than not.
    Im the total opposite, I’d be happy with the worst football in the world, if it got us out of this league, ive had enough of league one. 
    Yeah but you don't have to go and watch it 😅
    Just have to ruin my weekend through sleep deprivation, why do we do it to ourselves 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    ozaddick said:
    AndyG said:

So what you’re saying is their owners chose a style of play and brought in players and a head coach to fit that?
    I am probably the last person on this entire site who needs convincing of the benefits of this approach! 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    I sometimes think the highest bonus should be for a home win, and for a home defeat the players should get a financial penalty.
    Not sure how this might work though.
  • Options

I think there's enough difference to say they are very different players. Stockley is an out and out target man and I can't see how he successfully starts in a 433. But if we can bring one in and have Stockley/Aneke as competition then we could be onto something.