Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JOHNNIE JACKSON - new 2 year contract at AFC Wimbledon (p44)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2022
    shirty5 said:
    jbaker said:
    Been told the contract renewal was based on a top 8 finish. Not sure how correct this is.  . .  Wouldnt be surprised if Michael Beale is approached.
    We never reached any higher than 11th all season. If that’s true maybe that was the plan all along. 

Personally I don’t think Sandgaard wanted him in charge in the first place but after those run of results at the start and the crowd getting behind the team and Jackson, it forced his hand.

This 100%. TS really didn't want to appoint JJ fulltime but was backed into a corner somewhat by the initial bounce & then supporters clamoring on SM for JJ to be given the role fulltime. 8th position was never realistic - TS knew that and JJ knew that. 

All he had to do was:

"Caretaker until the end of the season" 

That simple. 

• Options
    LTKapal said:
    With Pearce and JJ gone do we have anyone left who endured the Roland era? 
    JFC I think was a late Roland signing 
    7/10 Ben was Roland.  
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Jeez, plenty of people will be happy, plenty will be shocked and surprised, big plus point to it all is that it has been decided early, giving time for the right choice, and ability to get a good window.
    Shame it hasn't worked out for Jacko, but he will always be remembered for his playing career with us and the memorable goals...QPR, those free kicks V  Sheff Weds and United, they are endless, thanks for the memories Jacko and all the best wherever life takes you..
  • Options
    I should imagine S/T renewals weren't heading towards 10,000 either.
    Renewed mine at 13:53 this afternoon

• Options
    Was Jackson’s success when he was caretaker is downfall? Setting the league position for an extension to his contract too high.
  • Options
    A shame for JJ but think it is the correct decision. The initial bounce when he took over forced Thomas to give him the job. Thomas now needs to get a manager in that he has faith in , and let him get on with the job.
      Some of the team selections over the last few games were a bit baffling. It was an ideal time to be giving the likes of Kanu a run out. Selection seemed to be being made with the result and league position all important. 
      Good luck in the future Jacko and thanks for the memories. Those free kicks against the Sheffield clubs will live long in the memory.
  • Options
    Sad news. JJ was a true legend and it is a sad day that he is no longer associated with the club.

But it is hard to say it is the wrong decision. The football for much of this season has been dire and Saturday's capitulation at Ipswich the absolute pits. And as I've posted many times, he was writing his own obituary by his insistence on sticking to a 3-5-2 formation that a blind man could see wasn't working with these players.

He has been let down for sure by a number of these players. I really hope a good number of them follow JJ out of the door.

Good luck JJ in the future. I hope you are successful whatever you end up doing.
  • Options
    i hope we have a replacement lined up otherwise next season we're already going to be struggling
    #KeepTheFaith
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey that’s a genuine surprise. Although does go some way to explaining the contract situations…

Will never understand the complaints about the style of football. We are in League One. In League One it’s never been pretty. Under Powell, under Bowyer. Look at Wigan and Rotherham this season. Both played 3-5-2 with big lumps at either end of the pitch.

If we want to take the MK Dons route here, it’s going to be a long old road and many years of getting it wrong before it all clicks. No doubt it’s probably the better choice in the long term but it’s risky.
    For me personally I can't say I agree with this. Rothertham for instance are very direct, but I wouldn't say they were not pretty to watch - they don't just lump it up to Smith in hope he gets a knock down to another forward player. The often moved the ball very quickly through the thirds, and if not possible, the direct ball up to Smith was played with a lot more quality than just hit and hope, and normally found him moving into a channel where he could bring it down and play other runners overlapping him into play quickly.

We never had that. Our long balls were usually to Stockley who would drop a little deeper, in the centre of the pitch, and basically head it to no one - or get the ball out to the wings and try and get a cross in. It was horrible to watch, and often left us getting turned over easily with players out of position.
    Excellently put.
  • Options
    We need stability now. Whoever gets the job needs backing and time. 

3 managers at an (guessed not calculated) average games in charge of 30 over two seasons is very poor
    Not given performances, no.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    I was on the fence about Johnnie and his inflexibility as the season wore on.    However I then listened to the POTY Live from Charlton Live podcast and he made perfect sense.

The top 3 sides all have played with a pretty rigid formation and he said in football nowadays this was more of a thing than in years gone by.   He also spoke about how the last 7 or 8 games have been "dead rubbers" so to speak and the likes of Jason Pearce (Thomas confirmed in his interview) etc already knew they would not have contracts renewed months back and JJ said the Ipswich performance was a long time coming.   Players with nothing to play for, no contract to earn will just drift and turn in non inspiring performances.    Imagine 7 or 8 of them in a squad of 20 knowing this was going to happen - that is why you get poor performances like we've experienced.

TS said he loved JJ.   JJ was very specific about knowing what he wanted to get and how he wanted to go about it.   TS is the owner and makes the decisions. 

When it comes to footballing decisions, IMHO JJ and Jason Euell know more about it than Thomas Sandgaard does.

And it worries me.
    If you mean JJ said this then he's the biggest fool going. He had the power NOT to play those players if that were the case. Play Deji & Kanu and others that are under contract instead. Players with something to prove like JFC, not Pearce & Famewo who are not going to be here next season. 

• Options
    I’m glad. Sandgaard not so much of a muggings then. 
  • Options
    We need stability now. Whoever gets the job needs backing and time. 

3 managers at an (guessed not calculated) average games in charge of 30 over two seasons is very poor
    Not given performances, no.
  • Options
    My guess- season tickets not selling...
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    @ J block and anyone who thinks our results were awful under Jackson.

We won 15 and lost 13 League matches under JJ.  Not great but not awful.
    Awful was the first 13 matches of the season.

I hope Dobson and CBT don't move on now as it was JJ who gave them their chance and both had good seasons.
  • Options
    Odd decision.
    Just the third manager most of this squad has seen now.
    Can't always be the managers surely?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Wondering what style of football do he and Tommy Jr want? The one where the quarter back throws it upfield to a wide receiver most likely.
    Winning, if not entertaining.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shocked and a little disappointed, thought JJ deserved a crack with his own players.

The replacement needs to be a good and quick one.  
  • Options
    I'm glad that its happened quickly , and I think its the right decision. 

Love Jacko to bits but I am sure we need a new start 
  • Options
    Wow...surprised at that, I honestly thought TS would give him a crack at it. He's acted swiftly though and I won't lie, I'm pretty pleased. Love Jacko, but it just wasn't working.
  • Options
    @ J block and anyone who thinks our results were awful under Jackson.

We won 15 and lost 13 League matches under JJ.

They were awful, the performances in a lot of games too were pitiful. 
  • Options
    Warburton

beale - villa

edwards - FGR

Taylor - exeter

duff - cheltenham

deffo names i would hope we would be looking at and interviewing