Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JOHNNIE JACKSON - new 2 year contract at AFC Wimbledon (p44)

Comments

• Options
    Blimey charlie

• Options
    Been told the contract renewal was based on a top 8 finish. Not sure how correct this is.  . .  Wouldnt be surprised if Michael Beale is approached.
  • Options
    I'm somewhat surprised that TS pulled the trigger, and it's not at all good to have so much instability.  But a poor season results-wise, and pretty unattractive fare generally, hardly makes a case for JJ.  Anyone who watched us grind out results in recent unimpressive displays vs Cambridge, AFCW, Shrewsbury would surely not get too taken in by win % stats.  

So maybe JJ didn't "deserve" this outcome -- but other than being the incumbent I'm not sure he did enough to get another go this year.  Did he really get the most out of this (admittedly underwhelming) squad?
  • Options
    not the right answer lets be honest the players this year have been appauling and that 

Harris 
    Warburton 
    a return of bowyer 

are a few i've seen banded around. 

Maybe adding 2+2 and coming up with 5, BUT Harris was pretty outspoken at the weekend and I reckon he could be on the way out at Gillingham........just a thought.
  • Options
    Shocked at this, thought JJ at least deserved a summer transfer window to turn things around. 

We better have someone lined up, knowing us though we haven't and will spend 6 weeks trying to find someone having been rejected by our first second and third choices. 

Will put on hold renewing my season ticket for now until things are a bit clearer 
  • Options
    Top 8 was a pretty aggressive renewal trigger from where we started! Not a fan of the contract mechanism used here - and certainly not a fan of it kicking in before a coach has had a complete season including a summer transfer window if it is going to be used. I just hope we don't put off any decent candidates in this search by pulling any contractual gimmicks. Straight up get the best manager available within our budget who is enthusiastic and committed to the project.
    I think the contract mechanism is pretty smart in this context. I think like a lot I was very much on the fence with Jackson; wanted him to succceed but was yet to see much that indicated he would and a lot was being placed on the coming transfer window. The unusual contract means it's cost less to remove Jackson so there's more money available for the new manager's budget. Seems perfectly sensible to me
  • Options
    Why would Neil Harris be a stupid idea?
    Yes I know Millwall and all that, but he has local knowledge and has decent managerial experience.
    After all Millwall accepted Charlton legend Benny Fenton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    13th in League One is clearly well below the required standard, but I thought Jacko would be given next season so I’m shocked today. 

We’ve been asking Sandgaard to make decisions, he’s done just that but his next appointment is absolutely massive - just trying to think of who’s available with a proven track record, also I think he needs to appoint outside Charlton rather than going with a ‘Charlton Legend’ although I’d have Chris Powell back in a heartbeat! 
  • Options
    I've nothing against JJ but imho he should have gone with Adkin's (wouldn't have been bothered if he'd gone with Bowyer if i'm honest) BUT he got some results as caretaker and TS deservedly gave him a crack. 

I reckon top half must have been the bare minimum that was demanded of him and I doubt we have to pay him off having not achieved it
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Absolutely shocked !!!!

My respect for TS, well earned when he beat all the odds to buy our club, has plummeted downwards.

I'm speechless & upset at the same time.

His partner, all over Jacko's wife at the dinner on Sunday...besties it looked like. 

Now 2 days later, THIS. Maybe the old adage, that you shouldn't mix business with pleasure ? 

Wonder what the players are thinking now ? 

Johnnie. You didn't deserve this.

Can't post anything further now.
    Well OTT
  • Options
    Not surprised and the right decision.
    I too am wondering whether the players knew on Saturday hence the performance and was waiting for something like this today.
    A big decision but big decisions do need taking in business.
    Thank you JJ for the many memories you gave us as a player and for the results that kept us in this division.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I think this is the right decision. His failure to change tactics has been his downfall, as it was with Adkins. We now need a manger who knows how to organise and get the best out of the players. Not saying we’d get these but someone like Warnock or Dyche or Curbishley. Managers who can organise teams and set them up not to be too open and not to lose. 

Having said that, I wish Johnnie Jackson all the best. He’s a proper Charlton legend .. as a player 
  • Options
    Hearing an American Manager may be incoming, my only source who has been quiet for 6 months or so informed me yesterday that this was happening, didnt believe it, who knows?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Absolutely shocked !!!!

My respect for TS, well earned when he beat all the odds to buy our club, has plummeted downwards.

I'm speechless & upset at the same time.

His partner, all over Jacko's wife at the dinner on Sunday...besties it looked like. 

Now 2 days later, THIS. Maybe the old adage, that you shouldn't mix business with pleasure ? 

Wonder what the players are thinking now ? 

Johnnie. You didn't deserve this.

Can't post anything further now.
    Well OTT
    How come ?

Were you there, sitting on the closest table to them ? 
  • Options
    Maybe Skiverton will go and Euell will become manager.
    To me that wouldn't be the worst outcome.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    jbaker said:
    Been told the contract renewal was based on a top 8 finish. Not sure how correct this is.  . .  Wouldnt be surprised if Michael Beale is approached.
    We never reached any higher than 11th all season. If that’s true maybe that was the plan all along. 

Personally I don’t think Sandgaard wanted him in charge in the first place but after those run of results at the start and the crowd getting behind the team and Jackson, it forced his hand.

I thought it was obvious from the caretaker spell that TS was forced into the choice rather than wanting to do it 
  • Options
    Depending on what type of manager we want I would like either Michael Beale or Mark Bowen.

Could Beale have a similar impact that McKenna has at Ipswich or Manning at MKD?

Bowen was my choice before Adkins. Genuine Charlton pedigree and he would know L1 having just taken on the impossible task of revitalising Afc Wombles. 
  • Options
    I think that last season's team were less than the sum of its parts. That's down to the manager, so with regret I find myself in agreement with this decision.

The next one has to be right though, and that's down to the owner.
  • Options
    Wish Jackson nothing but the very best of luck wherever he goes next. He really is legend in Charlton's recent history so I'm gutted he won't be at the club any more in some capacity.

Ultimately though he has been tactically naive and not really shown signs of improving during the season so you can't really argue with the decision.  If it wasn't Jackson the fans would have been far more vocal in how bad things have been.

TS HAS to get this next appointment spot on.