Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Stockley is a strange one. He clearly doesn’t fit the model we want to play, but he is a very good goalscorer. If he stayed fit and we played too his strengths he should be up there for top goalscorer in the division. I would expect minimum 20+ if he played 40+ matches in a settled side for us.
  • Stockley will get sold and the magic black box will decide that Davison will play upfront instead of buying a replacement
  • As with Washington, I'm fine with Stockley going if a mobile, good-quality replacement is brought in. I'm not particularly optimistic, but let's see...
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sheffield Wednesday journo reckons they might offer up to £1 mill for him.
  • Paul Pogba: Manchester United confirm midfielder will leave on free transfer - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61659836

No doubt generated a few quid from shirts sales he has been a shocking waste of money. Another awful piece of business by Utd.
    Cost them a 90m transfer fee and probably at least that again in wages over 6 years. Had 1 good season.
  • Scoham said:
    It’s thought that there has been some interest shown in potentially trying to get a deal done, though at this point in time things don’t appear to have gone any further than that.”

He has his weaknesses but it’ll be a big mistake if we sell, we’ve already lost Washington’s goals, I don’t have confidence in our recruitment to replace two strikers effectively, never mind upgrade either of them.

Remember when we sold Iwelumo and hoped we’d find better and play more attractive football? We did neither and got relegated.
    Just thinking we did the opposite in 2018 when we signed Taylor allowing us to sell Magennis. That’s the sort of signing we need to make it worthwhile.
  • Paul Pogba: Manchester United confirm midfielder will leave on free transfer - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61659836

No doubt generated a few quid from shirts sales he has been a shocking waste of money. Another awful piece of business by Utd.
    Never had a manager that knew what to do with him. He’s been brilliant for France in the same period.
  • Anyone who thinks letting Stockley go on the heels of letting Washington go is absolutely bonkers. It’s the same thing with people who want to replace Stockley with Stockton. We currently have a No 9 in Stockley who will score 20 goals in League 1 next year. He’s also very important in defending set pieces. It’s one of those things where you always fancy the thing that you haven’t got and don’t value properly what you have got. It will be a very bad move indeed if he leaves 
    Absolutely useless without him last season. 

Never had a manager that knew what to do with him. He’s been brilliant for France in the same period.
    He only has to turn it on for France half a dozen times a year and probably feels motivated enough to do so. Unlike at club level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Get rid of Stockley and I’m done I think. Build a side around him, don’t sell. Anyone thinking it’s a good move needs their head testing.
  • If it weren't for Stockley goals last season we probably would have been relegated 
  • Ever since seeing him play in the flesh, not a big Stockley fan personally. Having said that, we couldn’t just let him go without adequate replacement.

He is a massive moaner on the pitch (everyone else’s fault, not alike Washington sometimes) & his off the ball movement is average at best. Makes him quite easy to play against from open play. No doubting his ability from set pieces though.
    He scores goals and goalscoring strikers aren’t usually easy or cheap to replace.

Perhaps it’s one where we need to sign the replacement first before letting him go.
  • He was awful in the championship for Preston but league one is his level i think and he'll get you 1 in 2. We'd be crazy to sell him. We'd then need to sign 3 new strikers as we only have part time Aneke.
  • He was awful in the championship for Preston but league one is his level i think and he'll get you 1 in 2. We'd be crazy to sell him. We'd then need to sign 3 new strikers as we only have part time Aneke.
    He was brilliant for Preston against us!
  • Met someone yesterday whilst abroad who plays for the club (won’t name names), but they were confident it’s Garner, been round the training ground 3 times last week with his back room staff from Swindon. Wouldn’t say why it’s not been announced yet though. Also said Marquis will sign too. 

He was gutted Jacko was gone, said he deserved a pre-season 

From the manager thread - Marquis expected to sign. Assuming it’s true then I’d expect him to be Stockley’s replacement.
  • ‘He tried so hard for the team, defended from the front brilliantly and did great for Marcus’ goal, but he missed some chances – that’s the life of a number nine, I guess.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/born-to-score-danny-cowley-delivers-strong-backing-to-goal-shy-portsmouth-striker-after-latest-blank-in-charlton-clash-3396774

High pressing Marquis
    If we’re going 433 we’ll probably only have 3 strikers. It is a risk if one of them is Aneke but it’s how I think we’ll go. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We’d definitely need a replacement lined up if he were to go, and we don’t have a manager currently so it would be a silly move to lose him.  I’m not that big a fan of him overall.  He’s okay.  I think he did well last season in a poor team, but I don’t see him providing the consistency and quality of a Lyle Taylor for example.  I know Lyle only scored 21 goals the season we went up, but I think most of them were in the league and for me, he’s just a better player.  I appreciate they are different players in what they bring, but we need that level of quality to get out the division, be it Taylor, Kermorgant, Hunt, Mendonca or BWP.  For me, they all had more quality than Stockley or Aneke in their own style.

We’re very far off at the moment even with Stockley and Aneke.  I wanted a new forward better than both of them this summer.  If we have just Aneke and let Stockley go, despite the fact I don’t think he’s the type of forward that will win you promotion, that’s a lot of pressure.

Got no idea how concrete it is as a rumour, but if I were other clubs and the limbo we’re in at the moment, CBT, Dobson are good options.  Decent players and all the while we don’t have a manager, all the while someone could come in

• cabbles said:
    PS - if any opposing clubs are looking to take advantage of our situation, what a great opportunity this is to come in with a bid for Gilbey.  It would be terrible to see him leave, but that’s football 
    Agree. Gilbey has been at the heart and soul of our performances over the past two years.
  • edited June 2022
    If there was an offer in excess of 1 million for Stockley I personally wouldn’t mind that, he was unreal when we first got him on loan, hasn’t looked as good since that end of season spell under Adkins imo. 

He can’t lead the line cause, being blunt he doesn’t have the footballing ability to trap the ball, just knocks it down and most of the time gets marked by 2 men and gets isolated, cant pass at all either, if we really wanted a bloke who could win headers as a plan B we could just go and sign Vadaine Oliver for free who is far better in the air.

• edited June 2022
    Redhenry said:
    We are Charlton, every player has a price..
    To a promotion rival in the same division? Or are we looking down the way? Marquis as replacement- really??
  • Redhenry said:
    To a promotion rival in the same division? Or are we looking down the way? Marquis as replacement- really??
    Remember Semedo went to a promotion rival.........
  • I really like Jayden but I must confess I got really frustrated with the teams play when he is in it, we just seemed to hit and hope up to him and it was plain boring  unfortunately he control is pretty poor and I dont think he can hold the ball up and link play.
    However he adds alot to our set piece defence and added to the goals he undoubtedly delivers it's a tough decision. But if the price is decent I think we should sell as not sure he will fit in with the style of play Garner (if it is him) wants to play
  • if we replaced with Stockton?

He only has to turn it on for France half a dozen times a year and probably feels motivated enough to do so. Unlike at club level.
    Maybe. Although Juve didn’t have that issue with him either.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:
    Remember Semedo went to a promotion rival.........
    Wasn't he a free agent?