Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lifers' Cancer Updates - @Redmidland has decided to have surgery (p51)

Comments

• Options
    Oh that is better news @RedJohn. Really pleased for you.
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    Hi all, had a more in depth bone scan last week and spoke to my Consultant yesterday, he said that I do not have Bone Cancer and that the original scan showed a dark shadow which they thought/assumed was cancer, Great news, although i still have Prostate Cancer, and they are now telling me that if the Medication I am currently taking, which has taken my PSA level, which should be in the range of 0 to 4, it was 39, down to 3.9. In 6 months I will be having Radiotherapy for 6 weeks, 5 days a week, and potentially, could be Cancer Free at some time in the future, how quickly things can change, still just taking 1 day at a time though, thanks for all your support.

Great news mate!! The radiotherapy is an easier treatment than chemo. I had it for 5 weeks, 5 days a week. Major side-effect is fatigue, but other than that its not too bad. Good luck!!
    Absolutely, i had the same ... good luck RedJohn
  • Options
    RedJohn.
    Great news.
  • Options
    Fantastic news, RJ.

Happy birthday, Malc.
  • Options
    edited March 26
    Happy for you @RedJohn
  • Options
    edited March 26
    PeterGage said:
    RedJohn I am a prostate cancer survivor. Two points: 1. Many of my cancer "colleagues", who I struck up a friendship with during my many weeks of Radiotheraphy, had a higher PSA score than 39. I hope that is a small comfort for you. 2. (and I am seeking ShootersHillGeru for an opinion here). I would ask your consultant for your Gleason Score and ask him/her to interpret that score for you. The Gleason score is assessed by the number of cancerous pieces of your prostate following your biopsy and the condition of your "clean" pieces from the same biopsy. I understand that the score is considered to be more accurate of your true condition than the PSA score. ShootersHillGaru, views please.
    Gleason is a scoring system after biopsy. It’s looks at the tumour cells found in the prostate. Cancer cells in a specific organ, in this case the prostate gland are prostate cells that have become rogue (cancerous) and can look very like normal prostate cells or very different or highly differentiated. 1 - 5 in scale. Grades 1 - 2 look very much like normal prostate cells but 5 very different. The greater the differentiation the bigger the problem ( in general). Gleason takes the highest grade of differentiated cell and adds that score to most common grade of all the cancer cells. Typically you might find a tumour having several grades. If the most common tumour cell is grade 2 but the highest grade is 5 the the Gleason score would be 7. 
  • Options
    Great news @RedJohn

• Options
    PSA high numbers are an indication that the prostate gland is enlarged. There is a correlation between prostate size and PSA levels. It cannot predict whether the enlargement is due to a benign enlargement ( BPH - Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia) or as a result of the prostate gland being cancerous. It’s the main reason why there is no national PSA screening programme for men. PSA is not a good predictor of Ca Prostate. Most men as they age have an enlargement of their gland and therefore quite possibly a raised PSA. That doesn’t mean to say that a PSA blood test with a raised level shouldn’t be investigated further as in my case following a red flag and PSA level of 6.26 after the test I had at the Portsmouth game at The Valley.
  • Options
    Best wishes to all those battling this awful disease.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great news @RedJohn wishing you all the best!
  • Options
    Best wishes Red. 
  • Options
    We got you Malc.
    Here if you need us.
    Have a lovely Easter ♥️
  • Options
    Keep it going mate … stay positive 
  • Options
    The Lass and I wish you and your family and dogs strength and fortitude over the coming weeks, the Lass went from a 6 weeks to live prognosis to being confirmed currently cancer free after her 3 month check this week, we know it will come back but not yet, and yes 6 points for Easter.
    May your God watch over you Malc.
    Good news mate about your wife, if only for the short term so far. Thank you for your good wishes as well, they mean a lot. 
    Loving the final line mate, it's one, as you know I use all the time! To me it covers everybody's faith/non-faith, which is important to emphasise. 
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    Hi all, Normally a reader of threads than a poster, at 67, just been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer and Bone Cancer and been given a prognosis of 4 years, still trying to remain positive, things could change, but, best of luck to all on here, hoping to see Charlton in the Championship in the next couple of years.
    Best wishes to you. I hope we get promoted next season to lift your spirits.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Started on page 48, but then read on to see the good news.
    Nice to hear about the positive developments.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone. As promised I'm here to give you an update on my health situation.
    I've just returned from my cancer surgeon  consultant meeting. Unfortunately,  the tumour was not all killed by radiotherapy. I'm obviously very disappointed as I now have various decisions to make. They can remove the rest of the tumour, in a 6 to 8 hr operation. The op itself carries certain risks, because of my previous heart issue. The risks include NOT surviving the operation, internal bleeding, or bladder complications. The upshot however is, I will have a permanent colostomy and, as you know, I'm struggling with the temporary one I have now.
    There is a small chance, that, if my heart holds out, they could extend the operation by a few hours and redirect the bowel so a colostomy wouldn't be required!
    The other option is to refuse the operation, which means that over time, the tumour will grow and spread. The consequences of that are very clear, but without any timescale, short or long.
    I have to decide, for myself, what I want them to do and let them know in a week or so time.
    I know many of you will be saying "for gods sake, have the operation and enjoy life" and I get it. However, the thought of having a permanent bag attached is causing me MH issues, as previously explained.
    I'm not asking for advice, as that is unfair on all of you, I just wanted to share the final part of my cancer journey with you all, as your support has been invaluable. Sometimes in life you have to make 'shit' decisions, this is my time.
    Thanks Malc x
    Live, Love, Laugh and Be Happy xx
    #fxxkcancer 
    #DarkerTheShadowBrighterTheLight 

• Options
    Really sorry to hear that RM. Just sending my very best wishes for whatever you decide.
  • Options
    Difficult decisions RM. I was lucky and did not have a stoma. I guy next to me in hospital did so I know all about it. He got used to the stoma with assistance. I don’t know what I would do as I’m not in your position. Good luck. 
  • Options
    Best wishes to you RM. It's a leap in the dark, but I really hope the choice you make is the right one for you and you emerge stronger and happier. 
  • Options
    Give your options your complete consideration and don’t be rushed. You have all my best wishes.
  • Options
    Malc I wish you the best of luck with your decision on which I can't advise but I do advise that you keep Mrs Malc involved with your thinking but in the end it is your body and your decision. Maybe talking to a few people who have had a similar procedure might help your concerns re a stoma, whatever your decision the Lass and I wish you well.
  • Options
    edited April 5
    Malc I wish you the best of luck with your decision on which I can't advise but I do advise that you keep Mrs Malc involved with your thinking but in the end it is your body and your decision. Maybe talking to a few people who have had a similar procedure might help your concerns re a stoma, whatever your decision the Lass and I wish you well.
    All the very best Malcom.
    I agree with lancashire lad.
    Perhaps try and "speak" to a few people with a stoma?
    Plus having just googled, living with a stoma, there are very many links for advice and help (which no doubt you've seen if not yet read).

NB you're quite likely in shock at the moment, so give yourself a while to let the consultants words sink in before you feel the need to start making a decision.
    I asked a lot of family & friends their opinion on my cancer options last year, as I was undecided on a course of action. It took a few days but in the end the right decision came to me.