Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Gunter - gone to AFC Wimbledon (p6)

Can anybody explain to me why Chris Gunter doesn't even make the match day squad now days as i use to like his style and his just as good as some of our full backs!

Comments

• Options
    Can anybody explain to me why Chris Gunter doesn't even make the match day squad now days as i use to like his style and his just as good as some of our full backs!
    Agreed, he's definitely as good as Jacob Roddy. 
  • Options
    Wales. Golf. Charlton

But mainly he is just not very good. Certainly in the formation, awful at CB and too defensive to play RWB.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I think it’s 13 league matches since he last played for Charlton. Easy to say, but surprising we couldn’t reach an agreement to have him released in January. Would be shocked if he plays again for Charlton (especially if Innis/Lavelle/Pearce are able to remain injury free)
  • Options
    I believe he's on quite a high wage and we're probably desperate not to have his contract extended. 

Would have gone in January but doubt any clubs wanted to pick up his wages. 
  • Options
    Doesn't play well in the 3 at the back formation
  • Options
    Used to
    He's
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did you miss the Wales Italy game in the summer?

That just makes it more frustrating how bad he has been for us, anywhere. 
  • Options
    Because he shit like most of them
  • Options
    I'd actually say it's the only position in the team I'd consider him. I'm content he's on his way out but I think he's an ok-ish RCB. 
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Because he shit like most of them
    Did he really?
  • Options
    He's an average at best player (certainly for us) on high wages with a potential contract extension clause due to kick in. I doubt we'll see him again even in an emergency.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Is he the most mediocre player we’ve ever had? I’d struggle to pick out his strengths and weaknesses, he’s average in almost every way.
    That's consistant.  Consistantly average.

I know we are fishing in the L1 pond but we have picked up some real duffers over recent seasons.

Being a Charlton supporter I naturally set my bar low to middling, expecting disapointment over euphoria and grateful for any scraps thrown our way.  If being a professional footballer of L1 standard produces the sort of brainless performances we have produced regularly then I am getting pretty close to done.  You can almost script our games, in fact who scripts these games?

Answers?  Better players, less injury prone players, more savvy tactics, better game management...luck?

Grief, we are up shit creek.

Happy St Valentines day fellow suckers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In what has been a tough season, the likes of Gunter should have been there to grab it by the horns and help steer us back. He’s hid every time.

How he’s played over 100 international games is beyond me.
  • Options
    Haven't disliked a player as much as him for some time. 
  • Options
    I'd actually say it's the only position in the team I'd consider him. I'm content he's on his way out but I think he's an ok-ish RCB. 
    He played there at RCB under Jacko as we beat Doncaster 4-0 and drew 1-1 against Rotherham. Indeed he didn't lose his place to Clare due to poor performances, but rather because he was away on international duty.

In that position he doesn't offer the dynamic runs that Clare can provide, but he's perfectly adequate.

I'm sure the contract situation is the key here. If it's triggered by playing a certain number of games, then that's the biggest reason to not consider him. It might have been better for all concerned if we paid him off in January, and let him find another club, or did a similar deal that Palace did when we signed Williams, making up the wages for 6 months.
  • Options
    Been a huge disappointment. Can count his decent games on one hand.

Surely we are planning for next season without him.

Unless we have an (another) injury crisis I am hoping not to see him in a Charlton shirt again. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The most baffling of a long list of failers over the last 18 months. 

He isn't too old, he isn't too young, he isn't injury prone, he actually was good, he hasn't been misused or abused.

Everyine else that has failed at least has an excuse.  I can't see what his is.  I can forgive poor performances out of position but even at right back in a flat 4 he has been poor. 
    Lost his motivation I guess, it’s just a job. He’s a Wales legend so keeps his place in their squad regardless.

May be wrong but I assume he was at his peak when he was at his fittest, able to get up and down the pitch. Combine that with having that drive and motivation to took to do well earlier in his career he must have been a much more effective player.

On paper he was someone who just needed regular game time when in reality he turned out to be a someone on the way down and a signing we should have avoided.

If we stick with Jacko then we need wing backs with pace and energy - I’d avoid signing anyone similar to Gunter given any experienced player who still has those in their game won’t be dropped down to L1.
  • Options
    Extremely disappointing.  Hasn’t really showed the desire either for me to make up for largely flat performances in a Charlton shirt.  For someone that’s played over 100 games for their country and over 500 at one club, we should’ve seen more.  Last season was a bit of a mess at the start with TS fully acquiring us in late August.  We went off the rails after the 6 wins a row and didn’t get going again until Adkins took over.

This season has been a mess.  But I can’t look for any other excuses.  Seems far more interested in his Welsh call ups while they all revere Bale.

Be glad to see the back of him 
  • Options
    A lot is made of his welsh caps, but they were crap for millennia before the last few years.
    Has he kept anybody good out of the side? Oh wait, Matthews.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

He isn't too old, he isn't too young, he isn't injury prone, he actually was good, he hasn't been misused or abused.

Everyine else that has failed at least has an excuse.  I can't see what his is.  I can forgive poor performances out of position but even at right back in a flat 4 he has been poor. 
    Lost his motivation I guess, it’s just a job. He’s a Wales legend so keeps his place in their squad regardless.

May be wrong but I assume he was at his peak when he was at his fittest, able to get up and down the pitch. Combine that with having that drive and motivation to took to do well earlier in his career he must have been a much more effective player.

On paper he was someone who just needed regular game time when in reality he turned out to be a someone on the way down and a signing we should have avoided.

If we stick with Jacko then we need wing backs with pace and energy - I’d avoid signing anyone similar to Gunter given any experienced player who still has those in their game won’t be dropped down to L1.
    He had just turned 31 when we signed him, it's not like he is in his late 30s.  As far as I am aware he has never had a serious injury like Souare.  He hasn't played so many games at a young age like Rooney or Cesc that has caused him to age quicker.

At least Matthews, Purrington and the rest of the pudding gang have the occasional good game. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

He had just turned 31 when we signed him, it's not like he is in his late 30s.  As far as I am aware he has never had a serious injury like Souare.  He hasn't played so many games at a young age like Rooney or Cesc that has caused him to age quicker.

At least Matthews, Purrington and the rest of the pudding gang have the occasional good game. 
    Yeah like I said on paper he should have been good enough, at least in a back four.

I’m relieved JJ doesn’t rate him and there’s little risk his extension will be activated.