Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Terry Skiverton - gone to AFC Wimbledon with Jacko (p10)

Sounds like a done deal -  Chairman Scott Priestnall commented, “I’d like to thank Terry for everything he has done for Yeovil Town. He is undoubtedly a club legend, both for his service on and off the pitch. He will always be welcome at Huish Park.”

Skiverton, departs as he moves into a new role in the Football League

https://gloverscast.co.uk/category/yeovil-town-news/

https://www.ytfc.net/club-news-terry-skiverton-to-depart-huish-park/

Terry Skiverton has said the time was right to make the “gut-wrenching” decision to leave Yeovil Town after almost 23 years with the club.

It was announced yesterday that the former captain, manager, assistant manager and coach had left the club and it is understood he is heading to League One Charlton Athletic.

In an interview with journalist Chris Hull, he said he had been “overwhelmed” by the messages which had poured in from supporters, players and managers alike since the announcement.

Terry Skiverton talks to Chris Hull about his departure from Yeovil Town.

He said: “Sometimes you feel the time was right. I tried to leave before but I got dragged back in by the then-Chairman John Fry, this time I knew the time was right.

“I need to move on with my career, I have got all my qualifications – my B, A and my Pro Licence – and with all of those things, I really want to give this a crack and it’s time to move away from Yeovil.”

The 46-year-old described Glovers’ boss Darren Sarll as “a true friend who will be a friend for the rest of my life” and spoke of his sadness at having to leave him behind.

Skivo said: “He brought me back in to the club and he gave me my passion for coaching and managing.

“The first year we had the play-offs, the second we have tragedy with the death of our captain Lee Collins, and to pick the club up with the most limited resources we have had in my time at the club, to get to where we are in the league is

“The football club is in a position where we need to kick on and we can’t quite do that at the moment and I am sad to be leaving him because he’s a great manager, an unbelievable coach and a real true friend.”

It is understood he will be appointed as Charlton’s assistant manager, alongside current boss Johnnie Jackson, and in the interview it was mentioned that agreement was still 48 hours from completion.

Of the move, Skiverton added: “I think I have earned my stripes. I got in to management a bit too early, I went from being a player one day to a manager the next, I had to learn on my feet.

“Now I would like to see if I can progress myself and see how far I can go as a coach and an assistant manager, moving forward with my career.

“I’ve given so much to Yeovil but sometimes you have to look after yourself and if you have an aim in life you have got to get after it.

“After the years and learning I have done, I really want to push on now.”

Comments

• out of left field 
  • Played for welling. Pretty random.
  • Yep bolt out of the blue.  Has there been a past connection between him & JJ ? 
  • Another TS coming to Charlton ?

Any connection with JJ ?
  • Now, is this a Jackson pick or a boardroom one? 
  • Another TS coming to Charlton ?

Any connection with JJ ?
    DK
  • Now, is this a Jackson pick or a boardroom one? 
    Black box  ;)
  • F***ing bizarre.
  • Well who’d have thought. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Was Yeovil’s captain when we played them in the cup around this time 16 years ago. 3-2 with Paul Terry scoring. 

I think it’s been known that Jacko wanted an experienced number 2 with Euell as first team coach. I think that’s a really sensible move as we’ve not had much experience on our bench over the last few years. 
    Was hoping for someone with experience and who wasn’t one of the lads. The fact it’s out of the blue, must mean he’s actually had to interview for the job.

• Hopefully there’s a connection to JJ and he wasn’t simply chosen by TS following an interview.
  • Nothing wrong with left field appointments, as they can often work just as much as they can fail. 

Would be interested to hear what his ethos, and what sort of style of football he favours. 
  • Surprised.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Hopefully there’s a connection to JJ and he wasn’t simply chosen by TS following an interview.
    Discussions have been ongoing for 2 months on this subject. I’d very much say this is a Jackson man.
    I agree. No one else has heard of him and certainly not TS.
  • Scoham said:
    Hopefully there’s a connection to JJ and he wasn’t simply chosen by TS following an interview.
    I’d heard there were 2 or 3 candidates but yes, hope JJ had some input in the final decision. 
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    Really don't see what the issue is
    No issue if JJ is happy with the appointment. Expect he’ll explain the connection in an interview soon enough.
  • Scoham said:
    I’d heard there were 2 or 3 candidates but yes, hope JJ had some input in the final decision. 
    Yes, always going to be a few candidates as some would have been in work, others not. There is no chance Jackson wouldn’t have had the final say, as much as we know Sandgaard likes to be in control/have a say, this is the type of thing Jackson 100% signs off on and not as much the other way around.