Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Options
    Stockley and Aneke up front pace, power & goals.  
  • Options
    if the payment of £300k is to in some way balance out the wages then it's unfortunate we didn't just make him a better offer in the summer but if we are paying brum 300K and taking on wages we weren't prepared to offer him in the summer then we need to look at what we are doing and whos doing it 

• Options
    barstool said:
    Stockley and Aneke up front pace, power & goals.  
    Currently 30 minutes between them ;0)
  • Options
    Shocked at this but very pleased.  A real handful at this level 
  • Options
    West2003 said:
    Stockley. Washington. Aneke. Defoe. That's a strikeforce that wins League One at a canter next season. When can I buy my season ticket, Thomas?

I get why some people don't want Defoe back. He was 16 at the time so I'm prepared to give him a bit of leeway. However, imagine how much Burstow might learn about being in the right place at the right time, timing a run etc etc from him in training. Whatever one thinks of Defoe I really can't think of anyone better equipped to help Burstow and our younger strikers than someone who has scored over 300 career goals and on the international stage too.
  • Options
    What are Brum fans saying ?
  • Options
    Belv said:
    £300k for a player that left for nothing only 5 months ago.

What a fantastic piece of business.
    Beggars can’t be choosers as they say. Who would you rather starts up front tomorrow- Chuks or Davison?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    My favourite Charlton player since Lyle Taylor did the football equivalent of leaving for his mistress after knocking us up.

Concerns at the lack of foresight/ strategy in spending a substantial amount on a player that was under contract 6 months ago but perhaps lessons have been learned and it's a pragmatic move...we need a proven goalscorer who fits the chemistry of the club and we have that in Chuks Bergkamp.

If Aneke and Innis could maintain a consistent level of match fitness they would not be playing for Charlton Athletic in the 3rd division.  They can't and therefore that's why they are here.

So long as Chuks is just one element of the rebuild that will see us challenge for promotion over the next 2 seasons and not the integral part then it will be a very good move for all parties.

Welcome back Chuks you have been missed (assuming this is confirmed)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Aneke comes back we will definitely need another striker, which I think will be a loan. Yes it's not good business to pay £300000 for someone we had on our books last summer, add to that we've probably had to get close to the wage he was on at Brum but I think the management team believe that the players who are knocking on the door now will form our strike force in seasons to come so rather than over commiting and taking a gamble on someone who may not fit in they have gone for someone who can play and come off the bench and change the game, plus they know what he's about. Good or bad signing ? It's Thomas who is footing the loss and Chuks is a game changer, it's a thumbs up from me. 
  • Options
    Could you understand them whatever it is they're coming out with?
  • Options
    The amount of people saying "But we released him on a free in the summer!"

No we didnt. We offered him a deal, a club in a higher division offered him a bigger deal which he accepted. If we had our way he would never have left.
    Astounding how many people cant wrap their heads around this.
    Absolutely. Of course it's a bit frustrating that we're now paying 300k for a player who was ours but that's gone now. If you don't think 300k is a good bit of business then fair enough, I actually understand that given his inability to start matches, but the fact he left for a team in the higher division a few months ago is now irrelevant. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    https://wewilljourneyon.proboards.com/thread/6137/transfer-update-iii?page=2

Brummies don't seem bothered either way honestly. 
  • Options
    If the 5 subs rule becomes permanent we will see more "45 minute" payers in the game as managers develop tactics around making three changes soon after half-time. Chucks cameos may become quite normal.
  • Options
    The legend returns. 

not a great signing but think he is a decent option we do need in the forward position. Would prefer someone more consistent though. 
    Legend ? I take it your tongue is firmly in your cheek ?
  • Options
    Nothing. Too busy pissing themselves laughing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If the 5 subs rule becomes permanent we will see more "45 minute" payers in the game as managers develop tactics around making three changes soon after half-time. Chucks cameos may become quite normal.
    Still find it hard to believe an athlete in a sport where the game lasts 90 minutes is permanently unable to play 90 minutes. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I look at it this way if Chucks comes on after an hour every game next season and scores 15-20 goals that's 12-15 goals more than we would have scored otherwise.

If you think he could score 3 times as many in 3 times as much time do you honestly think he would be playing for us?

Bring on a sub that has a 50/50 chance of scoring is priceless, at any level. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    https://wewilljourneyon.proboards.com/thread/6137/transfer-update-iii?page=2

Brummies don't seem bothered either way honestly. 
    Thanks for the link. Didnt expect them to be, knowing his stats for them. Strikers who havent scored goals are never much lamented. But there is no “always injured, made of crisps” talk, either.
  • Options
    Belv said:
    £300k for a player that left for nothing only 5 months ago.

What a fantastic piece of business.
    Beggars can’t be choosers as they say. Who would you rather starts up front tomorrow- Chuks or Davison?
    but therein lies the question. Can Chuks actually start a game? I'm sure he can but he won't finish it.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    The return of Chuks makes me think there is more to Stockley's hip injury than first we thought
    :-( hope you are wrong mate, Stockley is huge for us
  • Options
    I don't agree that he was on our books last summer and we let him go. He ran down his contract and so was a free agent, thus nobody's player. He tarted himself around to the highest bidder which wasn't us. The fact he's now under contract and available to buy is down to Brum wanting rid.

As others have suggested, he'll do a job but only for 30 minutes so if Stockley or Washington are out, who plays the other 60 mins from the start. 

Chuks wants to be playing 30 minutes a week (not every game) and we need a proven striker, so that would be Chuks plus A. N. Other if he is signed.

Should be a free if business sense applies. This is not building for the future, more putting a lick of paint on a rotten door! 
  • Options

In the main - mixed but more glad than sad - and some of those in the latter bracket are unaware of his playing time limitations:

299k more than he’s worth

I'd say result, but we're so low on players unless we get someone else in it just weakens us.

Seems mad leaving us with Juke and Hogan for a month.

Certainly weakens us, however, I guess that with the return of Chong shortly and the additional of walker, then is that why we are going to let him go?

I don’t think we will miss him much, looks useless

I get what you're saying in that sense, but honestly, he looks so lacking - if we are being offered money, we should just take it and out him down as a poor signing.

Had a look on a Charlton forum to see what their view and after wading through a bunch of comments about how crap Leko is, it appears they quite like Chuks and think it would be a good deal. I'd be amazed if we got a fee for him considering we signed him on a free and it's not worked out at all...

Another failed Gardner/Bowyer signing

Made a profit though

I don't think I have ever seen such a big bloke so poor at using his natural advantage. He's too nice. He should be smashing the arse out of these defenders, he should be impossible to shake off the ball (even considering it takes him four touches to try and control it, fetch it, try and control it again...etc) he should be just bullying people and he doesn't. He's also a non-threat in the air for his size. Best we cut our losses I reckon.

Thanks for the memories Chucks.

Not sure we can really blame Gardner for this one considering he was one of Bowyers players before he joined us.....

Cracking bit of business tbf

Weird thing with aneke though, when he comes on he almost always gets at least 2 chances within 10 or 15 min when we haven't created a thing all game. Sadly he misses most of them. He has something though and has never been given a game to be fair.

Just me that dont think he's actually that bad then? Hard to judge a player properly that only gets the last 10/15mins of a game.

I took it to be simply what we already know - LB has been told by our glorious masters one out to get one in. Let's face it, if we are to improve then Chuks (Gawd Bless him) never looked a player to do that at all.

100% agree and gave his all when he did play. The Plymouth game on the weekend he got booked for running the full length of the pitch to tackle a player, you could see he really cared

Absolutely this. I know he's never going to top the goalscoring charts but he does offer some threat. Letting him go now when we're down to the bare bones is very poor in my opinion, unless, of course, we have a better replacement lined up and he needs to go before we can bring new striker in?

Started 1 game in the league all season according to Transfermarkt. He hasn't been given a fair go in my opinion. People above saying he misses too many chances etc but I'd argue Hogan has missed far worse (e.g. Swansea at home). He's the only striker we have with any sort of pace and now Deeney's out for a month, getting rid is crazy unless we genuinely have someone else lined up to replace him straight away.

We will probably have Leko back, don't see us spending a penny to be honest in this window,

There’s a reason he’s only getting ten mins

Honestly don’t think anyone would touch this basket case .

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!