Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Options
    Bowyer and Co asking for a fee is taking the piss
    Its only taking the piss if no one is prepared to pay the fee
  • Options
    This is a good start. Chuks plus another will be good for us. He’s not fit enough to be our marquee striker signing for this window. Especially as he’s sort of proven that while he’s a bit too good for League One he’s not quite good enough for the Championship
  • Options
    It shouldn't be hindsight though, it's a history going back quite a long time now of our club having absolutely dreadful self scouting. I'm sure Aneke was going to go to Birmingham for a chance of Champ football over whatever we offered regardless, but he should have been under contract before he started becoming one of League One's top scorers rather than waiting to see how he turned out, and then offering him a contract late on in the season.

It's consistently happened in the past going back to players like Poyet where we seemed to be surprised that players we've brought in actually perform, and reactively try and keep them when they are in the shop window and attracting interest elsewhere when they have the full player power to then leave in 6 months time.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Good signing. He had a pretty decent goals per minute rating, even though he was helped by coming on when defenders were tiring. 
  • Options
    Only Charlton can replace chucks aneke with.......chucks aneke 😂
  • Options
    Quite pleased if this goes ahead….there’s no doubting that if he can repeat his previous form with us, he’ll be a very good addition.
    Just one thing though, will we ever actually get to see him on the pitch for a full 90 mins?
  • Options
    I don’t care if it is a bad bit of business. In any case, it was his decision to leave in the first place and Birmingham are probably out of pocket too. Bottom line is he can come of the bench and turn a game, which is what we need right now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My lads well pleased but for me one of the most frustrating players with had in years.one minute does something brilliant next he can’t trap a bag of cement.as long as he keeps banging the goals in like before I’ll take it though. 
  • Options
    Very happy with this.
  • Options
    Mixed feelings about this one, given Chuks' fitness record and the wage increase he'll have picked up at Birmingham. Maybe the latter have done a deal with him in relation to his signing on fee, which will have been payable in stages over the life of the two-year contract.

On his day, League 1 defences can't cope with Chuks but it's more of a gamble than most transfers, given that he only managed to start 11 games for us in 2020/21 and only completed 90 minutes on a few occasions. Maybe Charlton have built - or tried to build - some element of appearance weighting into the salary package, although that might be a difficult sell for the player and his agent.

To his credit, the guy wants to play football and fingers crossed that his second coming is a success.
  • Options
    Everyone seems to be thinking that he will be used as an "impact" sub. Say he's not happy with that & has come here to start every game. He might get pissed off & be gone (again) come the summer.
    If he thinks his body can take starting every game then he should start every game. I don't get the point you are making.
    The point I'm trying to make is that everyone on here has him starting on the bench & coming on to replace Stockley (or AN Other) but not as part of the starting 11. Not sure he will want that otherwise he could have stayed at Birmingham (and got more money for doing so). So I'd assume we've given him some assurances that he will be starting & not doing a Kirk. 
    i think its Chucks who dictates how much he plays, not the other way round - it would be great if he were willing to play 90 minutes  
  • Options
    He’s a beast at this level, scores goals and knows the club.

Downside is his fitness, it’s important Stockley gets back and stays fit so we’re not overplaying Chuks.

I’d feel more comfortable if we bring in another striker but we’ll need to find a club willing to buy or loan one of our squad players. On the squad cap JFC and Aneke replace Arter and Schwartz so there’s no more room until someone goes unless they’re u21.

Where did the £300k figure come from? Seems many are assuming it’s accurate. Is it? If it is, is it a single payment or including clauses?
  • Options
    Had this been a loan til end of season then being able to access his fitness & performance levels then it’s a good signing, buying now, not for me
  • Options
    I don't think we should get that hung up on deciding if we think signings are (in our opinion) good or bad business decisions.
    We should just be happy if we think a player will improve us.....and Chucks will - assuming his fitness levels permit.

After all, I think we would all likely agree that TS buying the club without the real estate assets is probably pretty bad business - but the vast majority of us will be very grateful that he went ahead anyway.
  • Options
    The return of Chuks makes me think there is more to Stockley's hip injury than first we thought
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    If true wrong move imho, get a decent fit striker not another injury prone player. For Christ sake don’t we learn from our continued mistakes over and over again and again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had this been a loan til end of season then being able to access his fitness & performance levels then it’s a good signing, buying now, not for me
    Yeah thats a good idea, put him in the shop window for someone else again. He's proven at this level, that's a fact.
  • Options
    Hopefully he signs in time to come on in second half Saturday 
  • Options
    He was our top scorer last season. Why would we want him back?

as for fitness, how many games has he missed this season?
  • Options
    Crucially he is available to play in the Pizza Cup. 
  • Options
    I’m off to try and find my old Chuk’s shirt from the bin
  • Options
    The one positive about Chuks spell with Birmingham, is that he hasn't had injury problems. He's been in the 18 for every league game this season
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I’m amazed he can still only manage sub appearances. Having said that I’m happy he’s back. In this league he can make a difference even from the bench. Sadly the difference is too big this season. I still think we need another striker.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Stockley. Washington. Aneke. Defoe. That's a strikeforce that wins League One at a canter next season. When can I buy my season ticket, Thomas?
  • Options
    Bit of a gamble fitness wise, but given how much we miss Stockley as the big player up top, Aneke is well worth a punt. £300k isn’t a lot of money. He’s a player that knows the club and won’t have problems settling. 
    The problem though is if Stockley is out for a number of months then Chuks has to start all of those games, the question is can he? I'm not sure we ever got an answer to what the issue is/was with him but the Birmingham move hasn't answered them.
  • Options
    Total lack of any informed comment on Chuks actual performances at Brum, including his injury record. I was looking from time to time just on the Brum results page and he didnt get many minutes- but he was nearly always on the bench when I looked - so he wasn’t injured.

I always thought that if he is somehow endemically prone to injuries (as some people, from behind the safety of their keyboards, tell Ryan Inniss) then it was an odd move for Bowyer to take him to Brum. Imagine the pelters Bow would have got from that lot if he’d gone there and got injured soon, or often.

I can’t believe we are just winging it on his fitness, any more than Bow winged it when he took him with him. 

I dont do other fans’ forums, but hopefully someone (without a prior agenda, ideally) could go take a look. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!