Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2022
    TEL said:
    We need a goal scorer, he scores goals. 
    ...when fit. 
    Didn’t he managed most games for MK dons before he joined us? Maybe he’s fitter now and will be a regular starter which will be fantastic news for us.

even as an impact sub- tired defences can’t handle Chucks for 20-30 mins.

he will score goals and turn draws and losses into wins make no mistake about that. Poor business in terms of the fact we are paying 300k for someone we let go on a free very recently.

but definitely consolidation for us and a great squad striker for next season.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    We lack imagination if this is our best option. 

Imagine feeding in all the data to the fabled black box and what comes out is a player you released on a free.
    I am afraid its what we do, look at Arter last window. 
  • Options
    Everyone seems to be thinking that he will be used as an "impact" sub. Say he's not happy with that & has come here to start every game. He might get pissed off & be gone (again) come the summer.
    I'd like to think that he himself realises that he's an "impact sub" not because of a lack of talent, or application - But simply because for whatever reason, he cant get his body into the right condition.

At the moment he surely has to realise that a desire to start every game, will surely end in early retirement.
  • Options
    Will certainly offer us something off the bench  which we have been desperately missing this year. I honestly wasn't too bothered when he left  as I really believed we'd replace him with a similar standard who could play 90mins occasionally! That didn't happen, so am happy to welcome the big man back. Fitness is a major issue  but we need goals and we know Chuks can provide them.
  • Options
    Everyone seems to be thinking that he will be used as an "impact" sub. Say he's not happy with that & has come here to start every game. He might get pissed off & be gone (again) come the summer.
    I'd like to think that he himself realises that he's an "impact sub" not because of a lack of talent, or application - But simply because for whatever reason, he cant get his body into the right condition.

At the moment he surely has to realise that a desire to start every game, will surely end in early retirement.
    Even if we could get him to start the games whilst Stockley is out it would help. Soften up the centre backs with hopefully a goal along the way and then watch Burstow come on with his pace and grab another in the final 25 minutes or so 
  • Options
    Belv said:
    £300k for a player that left for nothing only 5 months ago.

What a fantastic piece of business.
    To be fair there wasn’t much we could do about that. He left on a free after refusing to sign a new contract. We’re getting a previously 15 goal League One striker for £300k, which we’d be saying was great value if not for the fact we already know him 
  • Options
    Less of a gamble than a Schwartz type signing. He's proven to get goals for us but we need him fully fit 
    I don’t think fully fit is an option, if it were then him coming to a mid-table League One club probably wouldn’t be a possibility. We need to accept that, if he signs, he’s going to play about 50% of the time.

Even with that caveat, I would still take him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I mean I love Chuks as a player he's great entertainment value, but it doesn't really speak to some great direction that we're losing a player on a free, signing him back for a fee in terms of holding onto players, and the depths of our scouting department...
    Why take a punt on someone when we know what Aneke can do?
    That's kind of the issue though.

We know he's always injured and we're taking a punt on his fitness.
  • Options
    If he thinks his body can take starting every game then he should start every game. I don't get the point you are making.
    The point I'm trying to make is that everyone on here has him starting on the bench & coming on to replace Stockley (or AN Other) but not as part of the starting 11. Not sure he will want that otherwise he could have stayed at Birmingham (and got more money for doing so). So I'd assume we've given him some assurances that he will be starting & not doing a Kirk. 
  • Options
    No problem. We can just let him walk away for nothing again.
  • Options
    Not sure what to make of this to be honest.  At this level, on his day he’ll do well and is a good signing.  There’s the ongoing fitness question and that we’ve signed him, rather than loaned him, means he’ll be part of the team expected to compete for promotion next season.

He’s certainly going to improve what we’ve got currently, but I don’t know how to assess this in the context of next season 🤔
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Not sure what to make of this to be honest.  At this level, on his day he’ll do well and is a good signing.  There’s the ongoing fitness question and that we’ve signed him, rather than loaned him, means he’ll be part of the team expected to compete for promotion next season.

He’s certainly going to improve what we’ve got currently, but I don’t know how to assess this in the context of next season 🤔
    Don’t worry about next season just yet. His new contract expires in the summer so will go on a free somewhere and the rejoin next January for £500k. 
  • Options
    Belv said:
    £300k for a player that left for nothing only 5 months ago.

What a fantastic piece of business.
    To be fair there wasn’t much we could do about that. He left on a free after refusing to sign a new contract. We’re getting a previously 15 goal League One striker for £300k, which we’d be saying was great value if not for the fact we already know him 
    Even better, we're getting a Championship player for £300k.  Remember everyone pissing themselves in the summer when we got Stockley (for a little bit more I believe) 
  • Options
    If his issue is anything other than physical fitness, how has he passed two medicals in 5 months....... 

Ie there is no reason he can't be match fit? 
  • Options
    Bit of a gamble fitness wise, but given how much we miss Stockley as the big player up top, Aneke is well worth a punt. £300k isn’t a lot of money. He’s a player that knows the club and won’t have problems settling. 
    To a club losing £10 million a year it is not an insignificant amount.

• Options
    He will score goals and be fun to watch no doubt, but bloody hell am I sick and tired of this squad. 

It’ll be 3 seasons running we’ll have Aneke, Washington and Stockley as our strikers. I was really hoping we’d freshen things up but I guess the chance to have Aneke in League One is too good to turn down. 

Anyone know if Liam Millar or Ian Maatsen need some minutes? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'At this level'

Well fortunately he'd be signed for this level and would improve any club looking for promotion. Sign him up now, for nect seasons push. 
  • Options
    Having said that, 300k for a player to pretty much guarantee 15-20 goals from the bench is not a bad deal. 

If we get the rest of the squad right for the summer, we could have a very fun year.
  • Options
    Is this a done deal (if for how long?)

Or is it put out their to see the reactions of the fans?

Wow, we’re signing a striker from a higher division!!!
  • Options
    Why did Bowyer let him go ? As far as we know he was a 45 minute a game once a week player who needed nursing. If he was 90 mins and 2 games a week Bowyer wouldn't  let him go.

This is so odd. 

In the summer he had several options it was rumoured.  Now he has only us?

Did he have a medical ?
    He has done feck all at Birmingham and struggled at Championship level, plus Birmingham are dropping like a stone. It's probably to raise a bit of cash and free up the wage bill so they can buy someone else who will score goals.
  • Options
    As long as he scores I'm happy
  • Options
    Let's hope he stays fit and free of injury. Strange signing.
  • Options
    If he's fit and scoring goals, I don't give a shit he's coming back. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!