Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Options
    Why sign an injury prone striker, another one we can’t rely on!  I despair! 
    P18, bench 6, GS2 - mins played 380
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    We didn't have to leave it until the summer to offer him a new contract though. Which I'm sure we did? 

Wasn't one of our excuses for a slow window that we had to wait for Chucks and JFC etc to sign their offers.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    he only scored 2 goals? 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Good news.
    6 months late if we had play off ambitions.
    Buying him for 300k 6 months ago really would have been strange business. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    he only scored 2 goals? 
    Yes at Brum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Out of interest would we have had to pay Chuks a signing fee if he'd agreed to an extention last summer and would it have been in the region of fee we're now paying Birmingham?
  • Options
    I’m not really focused on the financials as none of us will know the details.

But from a team / squad perspective, if it’s a permanent deal then is Chuks a player that will improve our squad with an eye to delivering a promotion season next year? 

Do people think the answer to that is yes?
    His record in the various Divisions is:

Belgium - 4 in 41
    Championship - 3 in 38
    League 1 - 49 in 158
    League 2 - 17 in 39

As a full time super sub, Chuks might help us to survive this season and be a promotion contender next season but we have to still have to sign at least one more striker to share the burden. 

I agree still think we need a pacey striker who plays off the shoulder like a Bradley Wright-Philips type. Think that will be more likely in the summer. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Out of interest would we have had to pay Chuks a signing fee if he'd agreed to an extention last summer and would it have been in the region of fee we're now paying Birmingham?
    Signing on fee... Probably

Whether its in the region of 300k - Who knows, I reckon the signing on fee would be more around £100k at the very most; £300k does seem a lot for a League One player. But then finances in the whole Footballing world are just a little bit silly arent they
  • Options
    in theory yes, but it may have got subsumed into a new wage deal - either way. Chucks held the upper hand coz he'd let his contract run down and wasn't injured so, as bowyer would say, 'it was what it was'   
  • Options
    The amount of people saying "But we released him on a free in the summer!"

No we didnt. We offered him a deal, a club in a higher division offered him a bigger deal which he accepted. If we had our way he would never have left.
    but we are paying 300k to buy him back, why not just offer him more in the first place?
  • Options

No we didnt. We offered him a deal, a club in a higher division offered him a bigger deal which he accepted. If we had our way he would never have left.
    but we are paying 300k to buy him back, why not just offer him more in the first place?
    There 300K over a 2 year contract is an extra 3K per week. That would mean putting him on c.7-8K per week that would have gone towards our FFP calculation.

At the time transfer fees do not count but wages do.
  • Options

There 300K over a 2 year contract is an extra 3K per week. That would mean putting him on c.7-8K per week that would have gone towards our FFP calculation.

At the time transfer fees do not count but wages do.
    Also, Birmingham may have been paying him 10K and in a higher division. Maybe we did offer him 8K but he wanted 10K and Championship football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Maybe we did offer him more but he preferred Bowyer to Adkins?
  • Options
    the fact that he left for free doesn't come into it as he was out of contract and therefore fees were not involved, the fact that he didn't want to re-sign for us does come into it.
    Poor business in the long term but might help us escape a relegation battle this season and therefore a reasonable piece of business, but I don't like it but not sure why :smile:
  • Options
    Everyone seems to be thinking that he will be used as an "impact" sub. Say he's not happy with that & has come here to start every game. He might get pissed off & be gone (again) come the summer.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    We need a goal scorer, he scores goals. 
    ...when fit. 
  • Options
    I’m not really focused on the financials as none of us will know the details.

But from a team / squad perspective, if it’s a permanent deal then is Chuks a player that will improve our squad with an eye to delivering a promotion season next year? 

Do people think the answer to that is yes?
    Yeah but it all comes down to fitness

A fully fit Aneke would be this leagues top scorer, no doubt. But I would put money on him not playing more than 50% of total minutes next season. 
    I would say that is being a little disrespectful to the likes of Ross Stewart, Carl Stockton and Michael Smith who would easily give Chucks a run for his money. He will be up there that's for sure if he gets the service but "league top scorer, no doubt" is fanciful. 
  • Options

We probably did. But Birmingham offered more than we did and a chance to play in the Championship.

There's a decent chance he's taking a cut to his wages coming back. 

I have no idea why people are presuming we lowballed him previously, he would have been and probably will be one of the higher earners if he does come back. It just wasn't as much as Birmingham could offer. 
  • Options
    Everyone seems to be thinking that he will be used as an "impact" sub. Say he's not happy with that & has come here to start every game. He might get pissed off & be gone (again) come the summer.
    If he thinks his body can take starting every game then he should start every game. I don't get the point you are making.
  • Options
    Bowyer and Co asking for a fee is taking the piss
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!