Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• Options
    Damm predictive text obviously meant Leko but if we did get Leno!
  • Options
    There is a distinct lack of rumours, vague rumours or hints. The window  is a third gone and it appears there is no one we are really chasing  as usual. 
    Well i know of at least 1 club that we have contacted about a player 
  • Options
    please tell @DOUCHER :)
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    please tell @DOUCHER :)
    i've told all i'm going to atm earlier in this thread a few days ago 
  • Options
    I got soooo excited when I saw both @Redhenry and @DOUCHER had posted in quick succession.

Oh, well. Back to reading @addick1956 posts.

• Options
    Signing Leko on a permanent deal will settle him down as his future is sorted it will help him concentrate on his playing & not worry where he will end up at the end of the season.

That said, there is certainly room for improvement but his raw talent there to be seen. Step up JJ and Euell to hone that. 
  • Options
    I'm just waiting for @Dazzler21 to put up the 2022 list...let's get serious here.. B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leko hasn't had an easy season. He's been played out wide in a non-performing team that Messi would have looked average in, then started really well at RWB before getting injured, and has since been switched between RWB and striker which are very, very different roles, He's still learning the RWB role while regularly being thrown in as a forward all while returning to fitness. We'd do well to get him in permanently but I think he needs a run of games. It took him 5 games to score for us in his first season, then another 4 after that. He then got 3 in 3 games and an assist and started to look like a real threat at Championship level. He got 4 assists in his brief time with us as well. When he first came there was a lot of skepticism about his style but he'd won most over right before his bad injury. Give him a run alongside a consistent partner like Washington and I think he'll be great at this level. Add to that he's 22, we know he can play at Championship level and if he does find his form has sell-on potential and it's a sensible signing
    That loan spell with us in the Championship is the only time he's had an adequate scoring record, it's worrying that he failed to score in 41 Birmingham appearances

Are we after a wing back or are we after a striker, as we can probably do better than Leko for either position?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Leko's shown enough that he can make it as a striker - his hold-up play is pretty decent and he can take on defenders. The problem is that all of our current forwards' biggest strength is their hold-up play, which means that we are really, really good until the final third 
  • Options
    (I reckon they should try to convert CBT into a striker. Worth a try) 
  • Options
    Leko hasn't had an easy season. He's been played out wide in a non-performing team that Messi would have looked average in, then started really well at RWB before getting injured, and has since been switched between RWB and striker which are very, very different roles, He's still learning the RWB role while regularly being thrown in as a forward all while returning to fitness. We'd do well to get him in permanently but I think he needs a run of games. It took him 5 games to score for us in his first season, then another 4 after that. He then got 3 in 3 games and an assist and started to look like a real threat at Championship level. He got 4 assists in his brief time with us as well. When he first came there was a lot of skepticism about his style but he'd won most over right before his bad injury. Give him a run alongside a consistent partner like Washington and I think he'll be great at this level. Add to that he's 22, we know he can play at Championship level and if he does find his form has sell-on potential and it's a sensible signing
    That loan spell with us in the Championship is the only time he's had an adequate scoring record, it's worrying that he failed to score in 41 Birmingham appearances

Are we after a wing back or are we after a striker, as we can probably do better than Leko for either position?
    He only played as a striker in about half of those appearances, being shuttled between both wings as well, and only played about 50% of the minutes available in those games, often as a sub. He was also coming back from a cruciate injury still (missed the first four games of that season). It was a pretty rancid Birmingham team too. I think Leko benefits from a bit of love and being valued and I don't think he ever got that at Birmingham. I doubt we can do a lot better than him in the striking position, get him, Stockley, Washington and another there and we'll be luckier than most.
  • Options
    So long as that 'another' is a goal machine, yes 
  • Options
    If we’re going to bring anyone in, those two positions definitely need a bit more punch.  I posted on the Norwich PMV thread that Lee and Gilbey have a combined 3 goals in 36.  I mentioned I’m giving them some slack because half of those games were under Adkins and Gilbey was recovering from Covid, but as the season goes on and we take an eye to what sort of team we need to get us out of this league next season, they’re both as much under the spotlight for me.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have Arsenal got anyone we can loan now?
  • Options
    Arsenal already made all their U23 available for loan before they got knocked out. 
  • Options
    My take and no rumours so apologies in advance.

We aren’t going to get 2 absolutely superb players in every position, it’s just not realistic and hard to keep everyone happy.  

Assuming we carry on with the same formation I’m happy with the centre back options, we’ve just been very unlucky with injuries, and Pearce and Gunter who were scapegoats look good enough under JJ.

Wing backs again fairly happy, not that keen on Souare but again it’s unrealistic to think we’ll get quality x2 in each role.  

DM - not sure where we go if Dobson picks one up, don’t want to return to Watson, maybe Clare will do that role should he be out.  
    CM - two of our better players, it’s a worry if one is out particularly Lee, and the back up has been poor there, maybe one in that role would be needed.

Up top the biggest concern, we’ve no real replacement for Stockley should the rumours be true that’s he’s out long term and no back up for him when he’s fit full stop, we haven’t had this all season so that position of target man is vital if we have any chance at all this season, I see Leko as the back up to Washington personally, although we don’t know Leko’s best role yet, I can’t see us getting back up for Washington.  

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i agree those 2 are the priority positions but i also think we need cover for dobson coz if he gets injured, if watson or morgan come in, its game over - if it isn't already. 
    I feel we do have cover there in Sean Clare. With the centre backs coming back to fitness, I can see the first choice three being Lavelle, Inniss/Pearce, Famewo. This means that Clare can then come back in and provide competition for the midfield three.

Wholly agree with you that Morgan and Watson are no answer for that position.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Lavelle in no universe displaces Clare at the moment. He is the long-term Pearce replacement. Inniss clearly can play LCB or RCB; he's a super-powered bench option or can be rotated with Famewo and Clare if need be. 
  • Options
    Millwall got Afobe on loan and he seems pretty good. I expect he is on a high wage. We will do well to get anyone half decent imo. Come on Gallon!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:
    Lavelle in no universe displaces Clare at the moment. He is the long-term Pearce replacement. Inniss clearly can play LCB or RCB; he's a super-powered bench option or can be rotated with Famewo and Clare if need be. 
    Clare has been a revelation at RCB. It's his best position within our current set up.

Another non goal scoring midfielder. Playing brilliant at RCB and shouldn’t be moved.