Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Academy keeper James Beadle leaves Charlton?

Comments

• I hadn't realised until watching the EFL highlights tonight, that he went on loan to Crewe in January. He's made a few appearances now
    Crewe's last five games. He's still only 18 and we certainly would not have been able to send him out on loan to a higher placed club than Crewe had he stayed with us. And he will be on a hell of a lot more money too. Meanwhile, his older brother, Harry has been at Colchester since we released him and played just the one FLT games in that 18 months but has been out on loan at Bishop's Stortford who are currently 2nd in the Isthmian League.  
  • I hadn't realised until watching the EFL highlights tonight, that he went on loan to Crewe in January. He's made a few appearances now
    Crewe's last five games. He's still only 18 and we certainly would not have been able to send him out on loan to a higher placed club than Crewe had he stayed with us. And he will be on a hell of a lot more money too. Meanwhile, his older brother, Harry has been at Colchester since we released him and played just the one FLT games in that 18 months but has been out on loan at Bishop's Stortford who are currently 2nd in the Isthmian League.  

Isn't the above basically an argument for closing our academy down?  Decent players will get snapped up by the PL for more money and get moaned to teams we would loan them to anyway..?  So what is the point of the continual investment in it.  I am glad many of our academy lads have shown more loyalty and signed contracts with us personally.

Isn't the above basically an argument for closing our academy down?  Decent players will get snapped up by the PL for more money and get moaned to teams we would loan them to anyway..?  So what is the point of the continual investment in it.  I am glad many of our academy lads have shown more loyalty and signed contracts with us personally.
    But we still got a fee for Beadle so it wasn’t a pointless investment, even if we didn’t get as much as we would have if he’d stayed and developed here 
  • NabySarr said:
    I hadn't realised until watching the EFL highlights tonight, that he went on loan to Crewe in January. He's made a few appearances now

But we still got a fee for Beadle so it wasn’t a pointless investment, even if we didn’t get as much as we would have if he’d stayed and developed here 
    The academy costs about £2M a year to run so if we get a free of £3-400k for the best prospect in their year group each year it is a pointless investment.  As I said, thankfully many of our kids have shown more loyalty so we can get better fees for them.
  • NabySarr said:
    I hadn't realised until watching the EFL highlights tonight, that he went on loan to Crewe in January. He's made a few appearances now

The academy costs about £2M a year to run so if we get a free of £3-400k for the best prospect in their year group each year it is a pointless investment.  As I said, thankfully many of our kids have shown more loyalty so we can get better fees for them.
    The Beadle family could, perhaps, argue that loyalty is a two way street. Equally, the likes of Pope, Elliott, AMB etc etc didn't make the first team 'til they were 22/23. Keepers don't. So should he stick around for 5 years on a fraction of the money to go out on loan to the same clubs we would have sent him to? There's no guarantee that he would progress to be worth the sort of money we might think he's worth - we got money for Burstow and as I said when some were bellyaching that it wasn't enough, I'm really not sure that we didn't do well out of that deal.

Perhaps, we should follow the Brentford model. But then some of us wouldn't get the satisfaction of knowing that my contribution to Valley Gold over the years has helped those players on their footballing journey. Be they Gomez, Konza, James or Harry Beadle. It's also not just the ones that we sell. It's the ones we let go on frees and the ones that stay with us too. Although if you are a Morgan or Henry there are plenty that would rather you were released. 
  • Yes I really like that we have an academy. It's important for the "soul" of the club, and its place in the community.

However, I would be interested whether it's actually paid its way in recent years, if you exclude players who've joined us aged 16 or over such as Pope, Lookman, Aribo, Ness, Leaburn etc
  • Yes I really like that we have an academy. It's important for the "soul" of the club, and its place in the community.

However, I would be interested whether it's actually paid its way in recent years, if you exclude players who've joined us aged 16 or over such as Pope, Lookman, Aribo, Ness, Leaburn etc
    And effectively we have done to many of those clubs, at a lower level than us, the very thing that we don't like happening to us. The difference is that the compensation that they receive is non existent. 
  • We would also get a fee whenever one of our graduates transfers provided they were with us beyond their 12th birthday.  Solidarity payments.  It’s a small percentage of the fee that goes to clubs that rained the player between 12-21 years of age
  • NabySarr said:

The Beadle family could, perhaps, argue that loyalty is a two way street. Equally, the likes of Pope, Elliott, AMB etc etc didn't make the first team 'til they were 22/23. Keepers don't. So should he stick around for 5 years on a fraction of the money to go out on loan to the same clubs we would have sent him to? There's no guarantee that he would progress to be worth the sort of money we might think he's worth - we got money for Burstow and as I said when some were bellyaching that it wasn't enough, I'm really not sure that we didn't do well out of that deal.

Perhaps, we should follow the Brentford model. But then some of us wouldn't get the satisfaction of knowing that my contribution to Valley Gold over the years has helped those players on their footballing journey. Be they Gomez, Konza, James or Harry Beadle. It's also not just the ones that we sell. It's the ones we let go on frees and the ones that stay with us too. Although if you are a Morgan or Henry there are plenty that would rather you were released. 
    The Brentford model will need to change as the Premier League are making it mandatory for all clubs to have an Academy Structure in place. It will cost a lot more I expect for Brentford to set this up from scratch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• according to our local news here down south Beadle has been picked for the England u20 squad
  • according to our local news here down south Beadle has been picked for the England u20 squad
    Yep - I saw the squad in a national paper this week and Beadle is in it.
  • Oxford United have signed former Charlton Athletic youngster James Beadle on a season-long loan from Brighton & Hove Albion.
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/former-charlton-youngster-completes-league-one-season-long-loan/
  • Started for Oxford last night, they lost 5-1
  • Believe he started in the weekend’s defeat too. Don’t believe he’s covered himself in glory in his first two games.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Believe he started in the weekend’s defeat too. Don’t believe he’s covered himself in glory in his first two games.
    Made a howler on Saturday for Cambridge's first goal, so not a great start.
  • edited August 2023
    Shame, my stepsons at the Brighton Academy, seen Beadle there a bit. 
    A young keeper on loan is much more of a risk than a player, bit surprised Oxford have gone this route.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Believe he started in the weekend’s defeat too. Don’t believe he’s covered himself in glory in his first two games.
    It was exactly the sort of error Pope was making when he first came into our side - a parry to a cross shot that went straight into the path of the striker. He couldn't do much about last night's five goals but he probably lacks the presence that an experienced keeper might have which is understandable given that he is only just 19. He wouldn't be in our side for that reason at that age and Chelsea sent him there to learn in the same way as we sent Pope to the Cambridge, Aldershot, York and Bury. The Oxford defending as a whole has been woeful though and that isn't going to help his confidence either.  

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12936989/bristol-city-5-1-oxford-united-carabao-cup-highlights
  • Sponsored links:

• RC_CAFC said:
    It was exactly the sort of error Pope was making when he first came into our side - a parry to a cross shot that went straight into the path of the striker. He couldn't do much about last night's five goals but he probably lacks the presence that an experienced keeper might have which is understandable given that he is only just 19. He wouldn't be in our side for that reason at that age and Chelsea sent him there to learn in the same way as we sent Pope to the Cambridge, Aldershot, York and Bury. The Oxford defending as a whole has been woeful though and that isn't going to help his confidence either.  

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12936989/bristol-city-5-1-oxford-united-carabao-cup-highlights
    Pope's loans were all at a lower level than Oxford, looking at his career he worked up via non league, and only started playing in L2 aged 21. Bit of a risk by Oxford playing  a19 year old in L1, there's no hiding place when you're a keeper.
  • In the England U21 squad
  • It seems that moving to Chelsea is doing his prospects little harm. Called up for the England U21s and Oxford are top of League 1, having won their last 4 matches including beating us (no great achievement admittedly) but also away at Derby and Barnsley. 
  • edited September 2023
    Wonder what his progress would be like if he was still here

Out on loan in League Two, or competing with Ashley for the start
  • It seems that moving to Chelsea is doing his prospects little harm. Called up for the England U21s and Oxford are top of League 1, having won their last 4 matches including beating us (no great achievement admittedly) but also away at Derby and Barnsley. 
    He went to Brighton.
    Of course. Chelsea via Brighton. 
  • Wonder what his progress would be like if he was still here

Out on loan in League Two, or competing with Ashley for the start
    We don't put 19 year old keepers in the first team. They usually have to wait until they are 22 plus. 
  • Valley Gold draw this week - once a Charlton fan, always a Charlton fan. 

Daily Draws - W/C 09.10.23

09/10/20235105J Beadle, London
    10/10/20234996P Wright, London
    11/10/20233759W Cole, London
    12/10/20234811C Evans, Kent
    13/10/20232021D Howe, London

Congratulations, enjoy your £10 love2shop voucher!
  • Wednesday and Birmingham linked with him, he might be recalled from Oxford in January so he can be loaned to the Championship.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-james-beadle-premier-league-birmingham-city-4449644