Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Academy keeper James Beadle leaves Charlton?

Comments

• DOUCHER said:
    It was signed a week ago. He and his family have ensured that CAFC has done well out of the deal. Best of luck in all you do James.
    Correct, last Tuesday he signed and my guess is that this bit of negative news (albeit James and family did ensure Charlton did well out of the deal) has been timed to be buried beneath the Jacko appointment news which will hopefully follow in short order.  
    I doubt many will see it as negative news, most fans won't even know who he is. Certainly not negative enough to be 'buried' on a good news day.
    ok, well thats all good then 
  • seth plum said:
    Good player, unfortunately for us leaving to go to what has to be said is a good club, it has to be said it’s because they’re much much richer right now.
    Best wishes to James, and to Brighton when he plays for them (not against us). I reckon his football progress would’ve been better with us, but not his financial progress, but we have more than one decent goalkeeper coming through.
    If it is true that somehow James has done a bit to get us a bit of the tv/premiership/Brighton money then well done to him.
    No bitterness in this, just a bit of regret.
    Why?

Because our keeping coaches are better - doubtful.
    Because he will be in our first team sooner - doubtful again given not just the competition but because history with the likes of Pope, Elliott, Randolph and Phillips didn't do so 'til they were 22 plus.
    Because he will end up being loaned out to a League 2/Conference/Scottish Club - doubtful again as more likely he will go to a Championship or League 1 club when the time is right
    Because of international recognition - the competition gets more severe as he gets older and there is more likelihood of him playing for the U21s when at Brighton than with us

So from both a financial and footballing perspective it is better for him to move to a PL Club
    Much of what you have described would be his experience at both Charlton and Brighton.
    My post says ‘I reckon’ as it is a matter of opinion, for what it is worth I think familiarity is a good stabiliser for young players.
    We do not differ hugely.
  • It's a good career move for the lad, almost a no brainer really. Let's hope it works out for him and he progresses as hoped. For us if we have cash up front with add on's, great, further good relations with Brighton is no bad thing either as the window approaches.
  • Interesting snippet in the current Voice of the Valley re: James Beadle

Says that Beadle wouldn't sign a pro deal. He also, claimed the article, refused to travel to a game at Swansea as a result of which he was suspended for three weeks. But cruically, his refusal convinced the club that he wouldn't sign a pro deal so leading to them accepting the offer from Brighton.
    Without knowing the details of his refusal it is hard to comment but why is it that footballers nowadays seem to carry round this sense of entitlement that they should get what they want, when they want and if anyone stops them then they just refuse to play. Sod the fact the club has provided them with opportunities, coaching, facilities, wages etc.

Let's be clear, if Brighton really wanted him then he would have eventually got his move without having to resort to tactics such as that. They are a Premier League club with much better finances and resources than us, I'm sure if they were set on getting him a deal would have been struck which gave him his opportunity and recompensed us somewhat. Everyone would have been a winner.

Good luck to the lad, you would like to think with a stinking attitude such as that he will not go far in the game but let's be honest he is just following the example of countless other footballers who just stamp their feet like petulant children whenever they don't get their own way.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Brighton would have been in his ear to do this. Don’t care if he’s helped us get a good deal, bad form from him and those around him. 
    Yeah the lad has been badly advised - Yet he still had to make the decision
  • Sponsored links:

• Looking forward to us spending the unprecedented amount we got for him in the next couple of windows.  

4th generation Charlton fan refuses to play for or travel with the youth team aged 17 after the club had given him a platform and training to get him to where he is.  

As for the first team goalkeeper coach change having any impact on this, do me a favour.
    Yep James refusing to play one game really hit us hard and might affect our chances of making the Play Offs now, His brother, Harry, a 4th generation Charlton fan too, was also badly advised not to sign a contract - well we didn't actually offer him a contract to sign but, notwithstanding that, I do hope we built a "sell on" fee into his release too. That is how it works isn't it? 

It's like we are always the ones hard done by. And that we have never tried to do the same to clubs further down the food chain. Anyone recall how we "stole" Mark Kinsella. Or, in more recent times, what about the Sorba Thomas episode? 

This is what the Boreham Wood Chairman had to say at the time we tried to sign him:

After a leaked article was anonymously put into the public domain yesterday and after much speculation that Charlton Athletic had made an offer for Wood fans favourite Sorba Thomas, the club can now publicly state, that Charlton have in fact made a bid.

‘But their kind offer falls a bit short of the club’s valuation of the player, which they were made very aware of that before making their offer in writing.

‘We have out of respect to both Charlton Athletic, Steve Gallen and of course the player, reiterated our asking price to Charlton by detailing what would trigger our acceptance and we have also stated that we are very happy to take payments in stages to assist the player securing his move into the EFL.’

Hunter added: ‘We’ve carefully nurtured Sorba through our academy and over the last three or four years given him a great first team shop window to showcase his talent.

‘In truth, everyone has now seen his talent, knows his value as a player, what he represents and what his worth is to the club.

It’s very unfortunate that Sorbs was advised to pull out of our league game at King’s Lynn on Tuesday, to perhaps force through a move, but as my mother used to say, youth is wasted on the young. That said, as a smaller club we must stand up to that type of behaviour and orchestrated bullying.'

Charlton transfer chief, Steve Gallen, has said: “I made a bid to Boreham Wood and they turned it down. It wasn’t that big a deal to me. I didn’t go back with a further bid, that was it. They put stuff out in the media and they are perfectly entitled to. We made a bid for a player, they said no and we move on. I haven’t paid any attention since. I respected them saying no. They came back saying they wanted this and that – it was way over my own valuation.

“So I haven’t looked since. That’s not being disrespectful to anybody. In January and leading up to it we’ll be looking at different players to see if anyone improves us. We might not need anybody. But we should always be open to any young players who are potential projects.”

Note the similarity - small club spends time nurturing a player who then has his head turned by a bigger club making a bid - and then advised not to play for his current club in order to force that move.

Thomas, in under a year, is an established Championship player with 3 goals and 9 assists this season and is now an international too. We wanted to use him as a "project" which is a euphemism for "a commodity to be bought on the cheap and sold for a profit". Difference is that Thomas was under contract. James Beadle wasn't and that is a problem caused by the system. Not him. But it's the same system that failed to offer his brother anything too. And that is life. People need to get over it because James Beadle is someone else's "project" now. As is Harry Beadle too. 

• DOUCHER said:
    A lot of jumping to conclusions above - he, his family and his agent had been lied to repeatedly by Ged Roddy about many things - Roddy was proven to have lied and Gallen had to step in and sort things out, with Roddy removed. Roddy was also responsible for bringing Millwall's academy goalkeeping coach in to replace the respected Andy Marshall - that didn't impress anybody and remains a problem that will be sorted out - without knowing the ins and outs people are going to jump to the wrong conclusions here, of course, but trust me, this worked out as well as it could have done for Charlton after the mess that was created in the summer.    
    Yes, but what about Roddy’s CV…
  • edited January 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    A lot of jumping to conclusions above - he, his family and his agent had been lied to repeatedly by Ged Roddy about many things - Roddy was proven to have lied and Gallen had to step in and sort things out, with Roddy removed. Roddy was also responsible for bringing Millwall's academy goalkeeping coach in to replace the respected Andy Marshall - that didn't impress anybody and remains a problem that will be sorted out - without knowing the ins and outs people are going to jump to the wrong conclusions here, of course, but trust me, this worked out as well as it could have done for Charlton after the mess that was created in the summer.    
    Ok but why did he refuse to travel to Swansea? 
  • 4th generation Charlton fan refuses to play for or travel with the youth team aged 17 after the club had given him a platform and training to get him to where he is.  Piss poor form.

As for the first team goalkeeper coach change having any impact on this, do me a favour.
    believe what you like - James trained day in day out with the first team and therefore the first team goalkeeping coach is hugely important to him and his development as a goalkeeper 
  • DOUCHER said:
    ??? is probably the best answer i can give to that coz i've got no idea what you are asking  
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    ??? is probably the best answer i can give to that coz i've got no idea what you are asking  
    It's a joke, believe it or not :wink:

Someone kept defending Roddy's involvement in everything because of his CV.  Despite his CV having nothing on it in relation to what he was doing.

The goalkeeping coach is that the one that turned up and introduced himself to Adkins, Jackson etc and none of them had a clue who he was and that he had got the job? 
  • DOUCHER said:
    MBE you know, and The Premier League, and Bath Uni, and Reading, and.....
  • Chunes said:
    DOUCHER said:
    We are talking about a 17 year old that loves the club, has supported them all his life, has travelled home and away watching them since he was very young and was being messed about and lied to - that is the build up to what happened and he was in tears that day when he didn't board the coach so if you think he is some heartless mercenary who has used the club to his advantage and then fucked them off when it suited, you are very wrong.  
  • With respect Doucher, while that expands further on the circumstances, it still doesn't explain why. Either in terms of the specific trigger, or what he hoped to achieve by doing so.
  • Sponsored links:

• aliwibble said:
    With respect Doucher, while that expands further on the circumstances, it still doesn't explain why. Either in terms of the specific trigger, or what he hoped to achieve by doing so.
    i don't know the answer to that - i knew when it happened but the exact reason or what the trigger was i don't - i could find out but i'm pretty sure it wasn't pre meditated coz his dad had to go down there to console him and pick him up - something he wasn't expecting to do.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Chunes said:
    DOUCHER said:
    We are talking about a 17 year old that loves the club, has supported them all his life, has travelled home and away watching them since he was very young and was being messed about and lied to - that is the build up to what happened and he was in tears that day when he didn't board the coach so if you think he is some heartless mercenary who has used the club to his advantage and then fucked them off when it suited, you are very wrong.  
    Heartless or not the bit in bold is surely exactly what he did. Used us for training and coaching until old enough to sign his first contract and signed it with Brighton.  Which bit of that is not factually accurate?

• edited January 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    It's a joke, believe it or not :wink:

Someone kept defending Roddy's involvement in everything because of his CV.  Despite his CV having nothing on it in relation to what he was doing.

The goalkeeping coach is that the one that turned up and introduced himself to Adkins, Jackson etc and none of them had a clue who he was and that he had got the job? 

It's this one 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-appoint-millwalls-academy-coach-glyn-shimell-as-andy-marshalls-successor/

“Joining Charlton was an opportunity I just couldn’t turn down,” he told the club’s official website. “I know Jason Euell and some of the club’s other coaches as you come across people when you are working in football and I’m also very aware of the talented goalkeepers currently at the club across the different age groups.

I met with [technical director] Ged Roddy and then had a long meeting with [manager] Nigel Adkins. It was good speaking with Nigel about what he wants from the role, especially as he is a former goalkeeper himself. I’m looking forward to getting started, meeting the players and the rest of the staff.”

Roddy added: “We’re very pleased to be able to bring Glyn to the club. He has an excellent reputation in the footballing world and a proven track record of improving and developing goalkeepers.

“As part of the process we consulted with Eric Steele, who is a legend in the goalkeeping fraternity. Eric has worked with a lot of goalkeepers and goalkeeping coaches over his incredible career and was full of praise for the work Glyn does.”

Charlton have accepted Marshall’s resignation and he will link back up with Lee Bowyer. The former Millwall keeper had succeeded Lee Turner in the post.

Adkins said: “I would like to thank Andy for everything he has done since I arrived at Charlton and wish him the best for the future. I’m pleased to welcome Glyn to Charlton Athletic. I am delighted to have him as part of the coaching setup, I’m really looking forward to working with him.

Clearly, Roddy and Shimell worked together at Reading.
  • 4th generation Charlton fan refuses to play for or travel with the youth team aged 17 after the club had given him a platform and training to get him to where he is.  Piss poor form.

What makes you think us changing the goalkeeping coach wouldn't have any effect on a goalkeeper?

Obviously i suspect he'd have left anyway, but it certainly can't have helped matters.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Chunes said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Heartless or not the bit in bold is surely exactly what he did. Used us for training and coaching until old enough to sign his first contract and signed it with Brighton.  Which bit of that is not factually accurate?

well i guess if he had fucked us off we wouldn't have received a £500k - £1m fee and a massive sell on clause - we would have received a bit of meagre compensation and no sell on - gallen / the club were very happy with the deal - you're saying it as though charlton were being charitable letting him play for our academy
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Chunes said:
    DOUCHER said:

well i guess if he had fucked us off we wouldn't have received a £500k - £1m fee and a massive sell on clause - we would have received a bit of meagre compensation and no sell on - gallen / the club were very happy with the deal - you're saying it as though charlton were being charitable letting him play for our academy
    Wouldnt that good will though be between Gallen / Charlton / Brighton though?

Its not like Beadle himself would have had a say on figures between the clubs
  • DOUCHER said:
    Chunes said:
    DOUCHER said:

Oh come on - wake up and smell the coffee!!! This is a lad who has always been an extremely gifted keeper. He's been in the England set up for three or four years. He could have left us years ago for a Prem club but probably chose not to because he was a fan. Had we made it back to the Premier League he certainly wouldn't have been leaving us for Brighton!

You might not think so but this is a specialist position that needs specialist knowledge and coaching but it is  and there will have been a bond between them. It's someone he trusted to give him the best advice. My son had exactly the same relationship with a coach for an equally specialist position in another sport.

I also go back to the Sorba Thomas situation and all I've written above. What is difference between what we tried to do to Boreham Wood and what Brighton have done? I'll tell what it is - we've got more, under the current system, than we were probably entitled to. Boreham Wood would have got less than his market value. Our loss is that we chose not to pay what they asked for as we might be pushing for a Play Off spot had we done so.

You question his loyalty. I suspect that his family feel that Charlton's loyalty walked out the door when we dropped his year old brother. An 18 year old who was also with us for a decade but who was shown the door just months earlier. Also a fan too and a ball boy on match days at the club he loved. But there is no sentiment in football for those discarded as a result of a decision that might be the one that ends the lad's dream. I haven't seen you express any sympathy for him and I suspect that you feel none whatsoever because you see that as being how football works. Well it works the other way too. Because players are as Gallen puts it "projects". Or, as I put it, "commodities" to be invested in and then sold - some for a profit, some for a loss and some for nothing!

And just for a record I have been a Valley Gold member from the start bar a couple of years as a protest against the regime - membership I reinstated as soon as Duchatelet departed. I go back as far as Billy Bonds, Paul Walsh, Paul Elliott etc etc. We've always done it. But we've also reaped the benefit of other people's work such as our greatest ever striker - because we weren't responsible for "nurturing" his talent as he joined us when he was over 21 or 22. 

• DOUCHER said:
    Chunes said:
    DOUCHER said:

But the club uses academy players for their own purposes too before just saying nah, see ya later. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Chunes said:
    DOUCHER said:

Oh come on - wake up and smell the coffee!!! This is a lad who has always been an extremely gifted keeper. He's been in the England set up for three or four years. He could have left us years ago for a Prem club but probably chose not to because he was a fan. Had we made it back to the Premier League he certainly wouldn't have been leaving us for Brighton!

You might not think so but this is a specialist position that needs specialist knowledge and coaching but it is  and there will have been a bond between them. It's someone he trusted to give him the best advice. My son had exactly the same relationship with a coach for an equally specialist position in another sport.

I also go back to the Sorba Thomas situation and all I've written above. What is difference between what we tried to do to Boreham Wood and what Brighton have done? I'll tell what it is - we've got more, under the current system, than we were probably entitled to. Boreham Wood would have got less than his market value. Our loss is that we chose not to pay what they asked for as we might be pushing for a Play Off spot had we done so.

You question his loyalty. I suspect that his family feel that Charlton's loyalty walked out the door when we dropped his year old brother. An 18 year old who was also with us for a decade but who was shown the door just months earlier. Also a fan too and a ball boy on match days at the club he loved.
    But there is no sentiment in football for those discarded as a result of a decision that might be the one that ends the lad's dream. I haven't seen you express any sympathy for him and I suspect that you feel none whatsoever because you see that as being how football works. Well it works the other way too. Because players are as Gallen puts it "projects". Or, as I put it, "commodities" to be invested in and then sold - some for a profit, some for a loss and some for nothing!

And just for a record I have been a Valley Gold member from the start bar a couple of years as a protest against the regime - membership I reinstated as soon as Duchatelet departed. I go back as far as Billy Bonds, Paul Walsh, Paul Elliott etc etc. We've always done it. But we've also reaped the benefit of other people's work such as our greatest ever striker - because we weren't responsible for "nurturing" his talent as he joined us when he was over 21 or 22. 

I heard that his brother being released had been a big factor. You are of course right that Charlton are no innocents in these things. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Chunes said:
    DOUCHER said:

Hypothesis overlaid on conjecture rarely creates a coherent point of view.