Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Academy keeper James Beadle leaves Charlton?

Comments

• Options
    Good prospect but hes moved on now and it creates an opportunity for someone else. some great keepers out there at this age :-)

• Options
    Pope came at 19 so no.
    Grant, yes as it said 20/21.
    Lookman was 16 joining Cafc and Fulham on loan last season.
    Gomez and Shelvey definitely.

Are Brighton a bad academy historically ?

JFC was playing for young England teams and Dunk went on to be a Premier CB. Have not checked but I'm sure there are several other good successful academy players.
    March came through as well.

Not being in a top 20 that includes Ajax, Sporting Lisbon, Barcelona  and Benfica is hardly poor ? 

• Options
    Add Semi Ajayi to that list as he was in Premier like Grant in 20/21 with WBA.
  • Options
    Pope came at 19 so no.
    Grant, yes as it said 20/21.
    Lookman was 16 joining Cafc and Fulham on loan last season.
    Gomez and Shelvey definitely.

Are Brighton a bad academy historically ?

JFC was playing for young England teams and Dunk went on to be a Premier CB. Have not checked but I'm sure there are several other good successful academy players.
    March came through as well.

Not being in a top 20 that includes Ajax, Sporting Lisbon, Barcelona  and Benfica is hardly poor ? 

Ben White is also a Brighton academy product, while their keeper Sanchez has been there since he was 15
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Jac_52 said:
    An unprecedented deal rather than compensation has me confused and intrigued.

Sad news though to seemingly lose another talented youngster, especially a fan.
    A real shame as he's a very talented keeper but if the deal was an opportunity we couldn't refuse then that's where we are and we have to take it.

Bring on the Cat 1 academy so we can stop this from happening

Thankfully it's a position  we are quite well resourced in 
    Being a Cat 1 academy wouldnt stop this from happening if we have simply accepted a bid from another club. 
    It gives us a much better bargaining position though. Brighton are a well-run club and they've worked a deal out with us rather than playing the compensation lottery, which I think both sides will be happy with. At any point though they could have just said they were taking him and the compensation could be worked out later, meaning they have a lot more power in negotiations. When we're Category 1 other teams lose that leverage and we can negotiate for higher fees
    That does depend on the player though

If Beadle wants Charlton to get some decent compensation, then Brighton won't just be able to take him for peanuts as he wouldn't sign

Jude Bellingham earned Birmingham a fortune, which he didn't have to do
  • Options
    Did TS say we'd not lose young players again?

Remember Murray saying it when RD took over but not TS. Happy to be corrected.

This is why the news on Cat 1 status is so important and why I was so surprised that news got such a muted response.

According to TS last night we have the 14th best academy. I wasn't at the fans forum so assume this means the 14th most productive but not sure how that is being measured or by whom.

If we're that high up in league one with the disasterous ownership issues where could we go with Cat 1?
    Yes he did say it in one of his many interviews.

Simply it’s another statement he made that hasn’t so far come to fruition and why I’m not a supporter of Sandgaard.

So when I now hear him say CAT1 will be soon I simply don’t believe him… maybe that explains the muted response to what would be a significant development 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Jac_52 said:

A real shame as he's a very talented keeper but if the deal was an opportunity we couldn't refuse then that's where we are and we have to take it.

Being a Cat 1 academy wouldnt stop this from happening if we have simply accepted a bid from another club. 
    It gives us a much better bargaining position though. Brighton are a well-run club and they've worked a deal out with us rather than playing the compensation lottery, which I think both sides will be happy with. At any point though they could have just said they were taking him and the compensation could be worked out later, meaning they have a lot more power in negotiations. When we're Category 1 other teams lose that leverage and we can negotiate for higher fees
    That does depend on the player though

If Beadle wants Charlton to get some decent compensation, then Brighton won't just be able to take him for peanuts as he wouldn't sign

Jude Bellingham earned Birmingham a fortune, which he didn't have to do
    But category 1 would mean it does not depend on the player any more. Its great to think that a player would go the extra mile to ensure a better deal for Charlton but if we get the C1, even if the player actively wants to leave, we STILL get more leverage rather than hoping for good will. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Semi Ajayi was a product of our academy too. Nick Pope was from Bury. So I think they'd swap for one another on the list of 6.
  • Options

This is why the news on Cat 1 status is so important and why I was so surprised that news got such a muted response.

According to TS last night we have the 14th best academy. I wasn't at the fans forum so assume this means the 14th most productive but not sure how that is being measured or by whom.

If we're that high up in league one with the disasterous ownership issues where could we go with Cat 1?
    Why is it though? I appreciate it might boost the facilities we can offer these kids, but what else will it mean? Whether we are Cat 1 or not, players like James Beadle are still going to going to leave League 1 clubs to join Premier League ones. 
    We have greater protection against poaching, get bigger compensation if it does happen, can recruit at an earlier age and from anywhere in the country, not just our "catchment" area, will be more attractive to boys and parents because we are Cat 1.

It will never stop players being taken but it makes it harder for others to do to us and easier for us to do it to others.

Why else did the "elite" clubs create the EPPP?  Not to create a better England side, although that has happened, but to give themselves more power, more control over young talent.
    Not sure I agree we have extra protection against poaching, Cat 1 or not players will be enticed by the clubs and money on offer. Have to admit I didn't know about recruiting from a catchment area, so that is definitely a benefit, although how much I'm not sure. 

I'd certainly like Cat 1, but for me means nothing whilst we are a League 1 club. 
  • Options
    Not much of a Charlton fan is he
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Jac_52 said:

Why didn't they then? I actually get your point but it doesn't stand up at all for the Beadle argument. You are saying we need to be Cat 1 so we don't lose players on the cheap and negotiate a good deal. But that's exactly what we've done, with Brighton, whilst being Cat 2. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Not much of a Charlton fan is he
    In that case, neither are the ones begging for free tickets instead of spending a score.
  • Options

Why is it though? I appreciate it might boost the facilities we can offer these kids, but what else will it mean? Whether we are Cat 1 or not, players like James Beadle are still going to going to leave League 1 clubs to join Premier League ones. 
    We have greater protection against poaching, get bigger compensation if it does happen, can recruit at an earlier age and from anywhere in the country, not just our "catchment" area, will be more attractive to boys and parents because we are Cat 1.

It will never stop players being taken but it makes it harder for others to do to us and easier for us to do it to others.

Why else did the "elite" clubs create the EPPP?  Not to create a better England side, although that has happened, but to give themselves more power, more control over young talent.
    Not sure I agree we have extra protection against poaching, Cat 1 or not players will be enticed by the clubs and money on offer. Have to admit I didn't know about recruiting from a catchment area, so that is definitely a benefit, although how much I'm not sure. 

I'd certainly like Cat 1, but for me means nothing whilst we are a League 1 club. 
    Chicken and egg.

Cat 1 strengthens the club so help with promotion and staying up (not on its own, obviously)

If we can get cat 1 now then silly not to so that if/when are promoted it's one less thing to do.

Alternative, is to say "let's put that off" and like under previous regimes it doesn't get done. Meanwhile our Academy remains at an even bigger disadvantage.

It's not going to solve all the inequalities in English football but it is a big step forward for us.

As ever WIOTOS but this feels like we're very close to being given a yes or no from the EPPP/FA
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Jac_52 said:

Why didn't they then? I actually get your point but it doesn't stand up at all for the Beadle argument. You are saying we need to be Cat 1 so we don't lose players on the cheap and negotiate a good deal. But that's exactly what we've done, with Brighton, whilst being Cat 2. 
    Well, none of us know the ins and outs of this deal but I would suggest it was to do with what I said; it can be better to negotiate a deal and have it sorted than go through the rigamarole of compensation tribunals. Obviously we worked out a deal that both sides thought was acceptable; if we'd said to Brighton that we wanted £3m rather than the less than £1m we've apparently got then they would have laughed and said sod it, we'll go the compensation route. Might be messier but it will be cheaper in the end. That's the point; it applies to every youth product deal including this one because we would have been in the position to get more without knowing that at any point the other team could just uproot the player anyway. By the sounds of things we've got about as much for Beadle as we got for Defoe 22 years ago. We likely could have got more without the additional leverage Brighton would have had over us with the Category differences.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Jac_52 said:

As I said above, that's down to the individual player

Personally I think that players have a moral duty to ensure that their academy club gets reasonable recompense for the years and years of free training they've got, but that's down to the individual.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021

Chicken and egg.

Cat 1 strengthens the club so help with promotion and staying up (not on its own, obviously)

If we can get cat 1 now then silly not to so that if/when are promoted it's one less thing to do.

Alternative, is to say "let's put that off" and like under previous regimes it doesn't get done. Meanwhile our Academy remains at an even bigger disadvantage.

It's not going to solve all the inequalities in English football but it is a big step forward for us.

As ever WIOTOS but this feels like we're very close to being given a yes or no from the EPPP/FA
    Agreed. I definitely don't think we should have put it off and I'm delighted we may be upgrading. If nothing else, it shows that Saangaard is doing good things off the pitch. My only slight disagreement was how important it is to the future of the club. It might make a difference one day, but I feel we'd have to be a Premier League club for that to happen. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Jac_52 said:

Perhaps because he told Brighton “you’ve got to buy me” rather than just walk out on us?
    Perhaps, we're just guessing at the moment. 
  • Options
    Yes - a 17 player has a lot of power in boardroom negotiations between 2 Clubs! Jees all!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I note Brighton are not on that list, however if James has to leave then Brighton is a nicer club than most.
    Whatever happened to (what was always a myth anyway) the notion that Chrystal Pals of Lice produces reckonable players?
    Personally I think Harness is a fantastic prospect.
        Yep me too
  • Options
    Harness looks like one of those guys that wants to get hurt and show the scars from a tough game of football.
  • Options
    Perhaps he signed a contract with us  to ensure we got a fee like Bellingham did for Birmingham. 
  • Options

Chicken and egg.

Agreed. I definitely don't think we should have put it off and I'm delighted we may be upgrading. If nothing else, it shows that Saangaard is doing good things off the pitch. My only slight disagreement was how important it is to the future of the club. It might make a difference one day, but I feel we'd have to be a Premier League club for that to happen. 
    But keeping good young players a little bit longer and getting bigger fees for them helps towards us getting, to the premier league, among other factors.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Yes - a 17 player has a lot of power in boardroom negotiations between 2 Clubs! Jees all!
    If he wasn’t on a professional contract he has significant leverage. He picks where he signs and he can make demands. If it’s true Chelsea we’re also in the mix he can hold that over their heads.