Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Give Jacko The Job (He got given it on page 31...)

Comments

• se9addick said:
    Addickted said:
    “we’ve probably got the best squad and the most depth in the league” - calm yourself down Tommy! 

I’m not too sure what to make of that interview to be honest, or what I would make of it if I were Jackson. 
    We certainly do have depth, but the quality is all in the first 11-16 players. We don't have strength in depth and that's the problem come January. We need to bolster the ranks and move some players on.
  • edited November 2021
    You'd only get lols as Wilder was appointed Boro manager over a week ago.
  • edited November 2021
    Unless JJ goes on a losing run over the next four or five games, its makes no sense to give the job to anyone else, especially with the players giving him their backing. Bringing in someone new could undo all that. 

Questions will be asked about TS if JJ continues the good form but he still brings in a new manager. 
  • Surprised he's nothing more than the Loan Manager at Norwich. 

Would have felt that his motivational approach that we saw after the Sheffield Wednesday cup win, would be much better suited to coaching. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m interested to know if the club has actually made a job offer to JJ?

can’t remember hearing the answer last night, sorry if I missed it.
  • Phil said:
    Those 2 points we "dropped" against Rotherham must be troubling Sandgaard. Jacko can't have done much more and I fail to see who could have done better.
    If I were Jackson I'd find his comments about still looking at other candidates disrespectful and demotivating.
    If Sandgaard can't see how much better things are in just about every area of the footballing side of the club with Jacko as manager then there's no hope.
    Clearly, it's not a flash in the plan and the upturn has been remarkable.
    I hope tomorrow our owner appreciates how much more the fans are engaged with the team and how much we, and the players, all want Jackson as our manager.
    Sandgaard was too slow to sack Adkins and too slow to appoint Jackson. He does so many things right but on occasion he looks a little foolish. This is another one of those.
    Only way he can really be too slow to appoint Jackson as Manager is if another club comes in for him.

I suppose if we start going on a bad run, then reason for that could be put down to the fact that the players don't like the uncertainty around the Managers position - But a poor run can equally be contributed a number of factors
  • JJ needs to know that it is his job to lose. I doubt he would leave in those circumstances.
  • I would say the changes JJ has made has shown he is a footballing coach. Working on our shape without the ball and not running before you walk. The amazing difference he has made has quite frankly made Sandgaard's and Roddy's choice of 'football' coach look like a complete idiot. It hasn't been an upturn, that isn't a strong enough phrase, but a transformation from being genuinely one of the worst teams in the League to being one of the best, and that has been in no time at all.
  • Seems like a few on here have read a different article from me. The one I read says TS has praised JJ for doing far more than just instilling new manager bounce, has done everything he could so far in his application, and is personally responsible for solving at least one of the two perceived issues with the playing style. He wants more going forwards as we've scored 3 in 3 against vaguely competent defences. The original pitch was a 60 day interview process... that's an area we can still improve. 

Don't get me wrong, I think he could've been excited in his tone reflecting on the last few games, but do that and people call him out for being a showman. 

Obviously if he appoints someone else I'll be calling him out for a massive mistake (probably worse, actually). 

• I totally understand why Sandgaard wants to take more time with the appointment as he doesn’t want to bitten again after a positive start. It is clear that the job is Jackson’s to lose at this point, and he has shown no signs of ‘losing it so far’. Like all fans, I want JJ to be our permanent manager as I think he’s a perfect fit.

My concern in that interview, is that TS seems to be a bit hung up on a ‘big name’ ala Adkins than what is the right fit for Charlton. Time will tell. I just hope Sandgaard judges it right as the wrong decision at the wrong time will definitely cause people to be questioning his judgement.
  • It’s just stupid 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Sounds to me like TS is still not quite happy with the football we're playing, despite our upturn in form. Comments about us "still not being good at playing out from the back." And after the Burton win he tweeted: "... not the prettiest game." 

What troubles me is that he believes this squad is the best in the league and so if they are winning games, that's what he expects. What does that mean for JJ? Sounds like he is just about meeting TS's expectations rather than exceeding them. 

Perhaps TS wants a real 'footballing' coach that will transform the side (ala Bielsa), but he shouldn't underestimate what a whack in the bollocks to club, players and fans it would be if he turfed Jackson out now. Any momentum would be lost and I wouldn't like to be a new manager walking into that dressing room after someone as popular as JJ has been pulled. 

Can't be certain of what will happen.

As much as I want JJ to get the job, I really believe we would be mad to give someone a job after only a few games.

JJ will only be pulled if we start losing. Thank god we are speaking to potential managers should the worst happen.

Maybe TS should keep this all to himself, but I personally am quite happy with the transparency (which we have all been begging for).
  • I don’t understand those who think we need to wait a few more games before making a decision on Jacko. Why ? He’s already changed the mood and morale as well as the style of play. Are we just waiting for him to lose a few games so we can say he’s not up to it ?
  • Personally, I think this is a non-story and wouldn't read too much into it. Genuinely think TS wants to collect his thoughts over the next month or so based on how wrong it went from June through to October.  

Do I want JJ to get the job, yes.  Do the rest of us want JJ to get the job, yes.  Does TS want to hire him full time, most probably, yes.  We have (quite rightly) a romantic and emotional bond with Jackson.  We all know that we have been most successful when one of our own has managed us.

TS is still new to the world of football club ownership.  I appreciate question marks arise over operational structure, who has his ear etc, but I think he does listen to the fans and a good example was when he was here for the Accrington game.  He saw the dismay under Adkins from the crowd.  He's here tomorrow and he'll see the polar opposite for Jackson.

A lot could happen in a month, we could go on a bad run, but I look at the fixtures and I think we aren't in any danger of not winning any of them.

It's just my opinion but I think we can read too much into such things.

• cabbles said:
    Personally, I think this is a non-story and wouldn't read too much into it. Genuinely think TS wants to collect his thoughts over the next month or so based on how wrong it went from June through to October.  

Do I want JJ to get the job, yes.  Do the rest of us want JJ to get the job, yes.  Does TS want to hire him full time, most probably, yes.  We have (quite rightly) a romantic and emotional bond with Jackson.  We all know that we have been most successful when one of our own has managed us.

TS is still new to the world of football club ownership.  I appreciate question marks arise over operational structure, who has his ear etc, but I think he does listen to the fans and a good example was when he was here for the Accrington game.  He saw the dismay under Adkins from the crowd.  He's here tomorrow and he'll see the polar opposite for Jackson.

A lot could happen in a month, we could go on a bad run, but I look at the fixtures and I think we aren't in any danger of not winning any of them.

It's just my opinion but I think we can read too much into such things.

Yeah and we could go on a bad run in January or February or March or in 2023.

Every manager in the world may aswell be a caretaker manager in that case.
  • edited November 2021
    I think he will see Jackson's popularity first hand tomorrow. From JJs perspective, it will be a great game to win. 
  • Nice comments from Andy! 
    Come up Thomas sort this out now ! 
  • I think he will see Jackson's popularity first hand tomorrow. From JJs perspective, it will be a great game to win. 
    If we beat the team that are top of the league tomorrow there won’t be too much more that JJ can do to show he deserves it. Hopefully Sandgaard sees it that way too. 
  • se9addick said:
    I think he will see Jackson's popularity first hand tomorrow. From JJs perspective, it will be a great game to win. 
    If we beat the team that are top of the league tomorrow there won’t be too much more that JJ can do to show he deserves it. Hopefully Sandgaard sees it that way too. 
    The issue will be if we don't win. Tomorrow is a tough game, with 2 key players suspended. Will TS see that as a reason to look elsewhere?
  • The problem for Jackson is, seemingly, not winning games or getting points but HOW we win those games and points. 

And that's not something he should be judged on when knocking about the wrong end of league one.

I don't think Sandgaard would be that stupid as to glance over JJ (if current form continues) for a fancy name or playing style but, hey, his club, his money do what he wants etc etc