Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 January transfer window thread - Non Charlton, other transfers (D Day p52)

Comments

• Options
    We need to move some players on and like others I would be happy to see Arter and Soaure sacrificed. JFC if fit would take Arter's place. We need a left footed set play taker. If not then Joe Powell of Burton would be my choice. 

Last night as well as Stockton their left back Greg Leigh impressed me . I think he would be a good option for us to consider for competition with Purrington. 
  • Options
    Who can list what players have contracts ending in Jan or at the end of the season? (thanks in advance)
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Cloudworm said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    thenewbie said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    thenewbie said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Main priority must be another striker. Really hoping we are going to act early in the window as can’t afford to wait until the end of the month.
    That not really down to us it will be down to the club who the players plays for .. if they want to wait for a better offer or a replacement before they let a person leave there nothing we can do but be patience like we have been in the past and got our man 
    We need to move players out before we can get any in as we are at the squad limit
    Are we? Schwartz has gone so that should be one space. CBT extended an existing contract. 
    JFC takes the place of Schwatrz
    Or we decide a striker is priority and JFC has to wait for another slot to come up. 
    So we run the risk of not being able to play one of our highest earners, can't see that occurring 
    Can’t see JFC being highly paid at all. His contract extension would have been on massively reduced money, given the circumstances.

In: CB loanee and Cole Stockton (saw enough on Tuesday to confirm he’s worth a punt at around 400k).
    Out: Morgan (loan), Kirk (loaned back to Crewe!)
    If the terms had been massively reduced he would have walked
    Well at least limped.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Gunter, Innis, Watson, Arter, Morgan and Soaure all need to move on at the end of the season so may as well see if we can shift any in Jan to save their wages and bring in younger, fresher, more mobile, less injury prone alternatives.  I would be minded to add Matthews and JFC to that too. Obviously they won't all go in Jan but they are the obvious players to look to move on.

Be great to bring in Lee and Famewo on perms.
  • Options
    Gunter, Innis, Watson, Arter, Morgan and Soaure all need to move on at the end of the season so may as well see if we can shift any in Jan to save their wages and bring in younger, fresher, more mobile, less injury prone alternatives.  I would be minded to add Matthews and JFC to that too. Obviously they won't all go in Jan but they are the obvious players to look to move on.

Be great to bring in Lee and Famewo on perms.
    Only disagree with JFC there, deserves a chance under Jackson at least. I would certainly imagine Gunter, Souare, Inniss and Watson will be released. 

For January, I think we need a CB and a striker. One of them will probably have to be an U21 loan with either Arter or Watson being the one to drop out to make way for JFC.
  • Options
    If we bring in any players on loan that are U21, they don’t need to be registered. That could help…
  • Options
    If we bring in any players on loan that are U21, they don’t need to be registered. That could help…
    Aye, at the minute JFC coming in takes us straight back to the max capacity again though. I think we should bring in a young CB from the Prem just to cover Lavelle and Inniss' injuries. I'd like to see us sign a half decent striker which might mean one out. CM is the obvious position where we will have a surplus. 
  • Options
    I’d send Josh Davison out on loan and bring an experienced striker , even it’s a journey man we need someone who can come off the bench and make an impact ( in the mold of a Chucks Aneke) 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    The absolute priority has to be centre backs
    Inniss ain't up to it physically - 2 seasons now same story
    Lavelle looked like a slimmer younger Jason Pearce (2021 version) then broke down with serious injury
    Pearce is older, slower and now injured
    Gunter - last night was just one example
    Famewo has improved dramatically in recent weeks but could be recalled
    Elerewe and Barker are talented teenagers with little experience

If we are to sustain a promotion push we need to keep the back shorne up and to do that we'll need 2 more capable experienced campaigners at CH, even if we don't carry on playing 3 at the back

We're continuing to score despite all the pant wetting B/S on here about lacking strikers.  
    We're probably overladen in midfield and one or two might need to get loaned out or sold to make room in the permitted squad, candidates? Morgan, Watson, Kirk are all off the list of starters, harsh on a couple but needs must.

This is how I see it... I get the approach that we need more Strikers and need to just out score the opposition.

But we've scored eleven goals under Jackson and conceded just three.

Two of which were when we started with just one recognised Centre-Back

Scoring goals isn't the issue
    It was last night. 
    Erm... We were 2-0 up

If we had proper defensive cover we would have won
    If we had scored 3 we would have won. We had enough pressure in the final 3rd to have scored more than 2. 
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    I’d send Josh Davison out on loan and bring an experienced striker , even it’s a journey man we need someone who can come off the bench and make an impact ( in the mold of a Chucks Aneke) 
    Not sure about that, we need 4 I reckon. Definitely agree we need another striker to come in and be one of the top 3 but as last night showed, we'd be in trouble with just one out. Having 3 strikers plus Leko was fine when we were playing 433 but we need 4 now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    The absolute priority has to be centre backs
    Inniss ain't up to it physically - 2 seasons now same story
    Lavelle looked like a slimmer younger Jason Pearce (2021 version) then broke down with serious injury
    Pearce is older, slower and now injured
    Gunter - last night was just one example
    Famewo has improved dramatically in recent weeks but could be recalled
    Elerewe and Barker are talented teenagers with little experience

If we are to sustain a promotion push we need to keep the back shorne up and to do that we'll need 2 more capable experienced campaigners at CH, even if we don't carry on playing 3 at the back

We're continuing to score despite all the pant wetting B/S on here about lacking strikers.  
    We're probably overladen in midfield and one or two might need to get loaned out or sold to make room in the permitted squad, candidates? Morgan, Watson, Kirk are all off the list of starters, harsh on a couple but needs must.

This is how I see it... I get the approach that we need more Strikers and need to just out score the opposition.

But we've scored eleven goals under Jackson and conceded just three.

Two of which were when we started with just one recognised Centre-Back

Scoring goals isn't the issue
    It was last night. 
    Erm... We were 2-0 up

If we had proper defensive cover we would have won
    If we had scored 3 we would have won. We had enough pressure in the final 3rd to have scored more than 2. 

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Who can list what players have contracts ending in Jan or at the end of the season? (thanks in advance)
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/92370/updated-squad-list-2-september-2021#latest

Slightly out of date with Schwartz gone, CBT and Deji’s new deals and one or two u23 signings. Henderson and Souare also missing.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    The dilemma is do we go for promotion this year (from this position) and buy a striker or get a loan striker  who is better than we have now ?  Not easy in January, but at last we have a manager that realises you play two up front. Playing Washington running the flanks on the left wound me up big time. 4 in 4 for Conor since being more central in a two, even allowing for pens.

A CB to replace sadly the injury prone Ryan Inniss, and Jason Pearce who will be slaughted yet again by the Cafc critics when his next mistake comes along despite his heroics recently. 

Other than Kirk at the moment, was the last window poor ? Cafc fans have had such a torrid time that the dismal non leadership by Adkins this season made every player look worse and the team were bereft of energy and strategy.

We need a young *Left wing back to be back up to the impressive Ben Purrington. 

*Never ever play a right footed LB, the only poor game Joe Gomez had for Cafc was when he was LB when Solly was injured.
  • Options
    We do need a forward if going for the playoffs. A cocky type who wants as many goals as possible and knows he can finish from anywhere. 

Sadly Josh is now looking like the version out on loan last season.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    We do need a forward if going for the playoffs. A cocky type who wants as many goals as possible and knows he can finish from anywhere. 

Sadly Josh is now looking like the version out on loan last season.
    Josh is the back up for Washington and have similar styles. What we lack is a back up for Stockley.
  • Options
    Agree. He needs to win more in the air and just panic less in front of goal. I liked his buildup play that was calm and relaxed and assisted DJs goal against Morecambe.

I still think a fit Leko will terrorise defences up front at this level. 
  • Options
    I don't understand the calls for Soaure to go... we were all foaming at the mouth for the first few games of the season that we didn't have a back-up left back whilst BP was injured, if we let Soaure go again and Ben picks up an injury again, which isn't unlikely, we're in the exact same position...
  • Options
    By my reckoning we need a CB and cover for Stockley. With JFC hopefully returning and taking Schwartz's place in the squad I believe that means two out.

As it stands, I would cancel Arter's loan (assuming we have the option) and send Kirk out on loan. In addition, whilst he doesn't count towards the limit, I think a L2 loan for Albie might do him the world of good too.

In an ideal world, we would probably be looking to move Matthews on too in order to bring in a wing back. Gunter goes ahead of him at the moment as can cover a CB slot in an emergency.

• Options
    We definitely need a centre back to come in in January. Inniss sadly is never going to play enough games to be worthwhile retaining. Pearce is remarkable but we can’t rely on a 86 year old to hold the back line together all season and certainly not next. Cherry on cake would be a striker but that’s always very difficult. My guess is we’ll see where the injuries are taking us but in general will leave things pretty much as is until summer. Then we’ll yet again need a significant cull and rebuild. At some point that has to stop. 
  • Options
    The dilemma is do we go for promotion this year (from this position) and buy a striker or get a loan striker  who is better than we have now ?  Not easy in January, but at last we have a manager that realises you play two up front. Playing Washington running the flanks on the left wound me up big time. 4 in 4 for Conor since being more central in a two, even allowing for pens.

A CB to replace sadly the injury prone Ryan Inniss, and Jason Pearce who will be slaughted yet again by the Cafc critics when his next mistake comes along despite his heroics recently. 

Other than Kirk at the moment, was the last window poor ? Cafc fans have had such a torrid time that the dismal non leadership by Adkins this season made every player look worse and the team were bereft of energy and strategy.

We need a young *Left wing back to be back up to the impressive Ben Purrington. 

*Never ever play a right footed LB, the only poor game Joe Gomez had for Cafc was when he was LB when Solly was injured.

It depends how you measure poor, and is probably one of the reasons that Junior is in the UK.  

Did we sign mainly good, to very good, players in the window?  I think even at the time everyone agreed that eventually we did. 

Did we sign the right combination of players to do what we signed them for?  Probably not.

Then there is the Kirk question.  Thomas spent a lot of money on him.  I assume someone on the recruitment team is a massive fan?  He really doesn't look like the type of player Bowyer would have desperate to sign does he?  How prepared would you be to right that off inside 6 months?

I would imagine that Thomas maybe inclined to be a bit more conservative in January than he might otherwise have been unless he is convinced that changing the manager is the only change needed. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Agree. He needs to win more in the air and just panic less in front of goal. I liked his buildup play that was calm and relaxed and assisted DJs goal against Morecambe.

I still think a fit Leko will terrorise defences up front at this level. 
    I don’t think his hold up play or his defensive qualities make him a good choice to replace Stockley, but it will be interesting if firstly JJ picks him Saturday, and secondly how he performs. I hope you are right.
  • Options
    Coleman in the paper moaning about Dion Charles at Accrington. States that he is likely to go in January ‘for the right bid’. 
  • Options
    IanJRO said:
    By my reckoning we need a CB and cover for Stockley. With JFC hopefully returning and taking Schwartz's place in the squad I believe that means two out.

As it stands, I would cancel Arter's loan (assuming we have the option) and send Kirk out on loan. In addition, whilst he doesn't count towards the limit, I think a L2 loan for Albie might do him the world of good too.

In an ideal world, we would probably be looking to move Matthews on too in order to bring in a wing back. Gunter goes ahead of him at the moment as can cover a CB slot in an emergency.

Matthews was actually exceptional in the back 3 last time he played there. Gunter gives me nightmares any time he plays at CB. It would be CG I would expect to be moved on out of the two. 

Having said that I would be surprised if either go in January. My guess is that Arter will return to Forest (usually if the loaning club has a recall clause then there is also a January termination clause in place for the loanee club).

Kirk is the one that looks like he really needs a loan. Plays in a position that is not utilised in Jacko's favoured formation and has not impressed in the 10 or LWB positions so currently can't even provide cover for anyone.

The one that deserves enormous credit is DJ, at Swindon they payed him as a second striker and naturally he is an attacking winger, to reinvent himself so quickly into a fantastic RWB is credit to his application and Jacko's ability to spot the potential. Hopefully this means Leko can play up top when he is back with DJ keeping the RWB spot, certainly his to lose right now.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Coleman in the paper moaning about Dion Charles at Accrington. States that he is likely to go in January ‘for the right bid’. 
    Assume that'll be to a championship side though, he's out of contract in the summer and Accrington's manager has been refusing to play him as he won't sign a new deal.
  • Options
    Chris or CEL or anyone.
    To save me checking; info on Dion Charles ?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Cloudworm said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    thenewbie said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    thenewbie said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Main priority must be another striker. Really hoping we are going to act early in the window as can’t afford to wait until the end of the month.
    That not really down to us it will be down to the club who the players plays for .. if they want to wait for a better offer or a replacement before they let a person leave there nothing we can do but be patience like we have been in the past and got our man 
    We need to move players out before we can get any in as we are at the squad limit
    Are we? Schwartz has gone so that should be one space. CBT extended an existing contract. 
    Or we decide a striker is priority and JFC has to wait for another slot to come up. 
    So we run the risk of not being able to play one of our highest earners, can't see that occurring 
    Can’t see JFC being highly paid at all. His contract extension would have been on massively reduced money, given the circumstances.

In: CB loanee and Cole Stockton (saw enough on Tuesday to confirm he’s worth a punt at around 400k).
    He couldn’t walk! He never would’ve got a club.
  • Options
    Chris or CEL or anyone.
    He has barely played a game this season so very much doubt  would be up to match sharpness. 27 in 80 for Accrington so a decent strike rate and before that has been primarily non-league. 26 years old 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Cloudworm said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    thenewbie said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    thenewbie said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

I agree if you say Ben Watson.
  • Options
    Chris or CEL or anyone.
    26 years old, 20 goals last season and has only ever played for northern clubs.

Accrington touted him about in the summer but wanted 2m, he's out of contract next summer and apparently he said if they couldn't sell him last summer he'd sign a new deal. Now (shock) his agent has advised him not to sign so a) Accrington's manager is refusing to play him and b) they'll try to get what can in January.

I'd expect he goes to a Northern championship side in January.
  • Options
    Chris or CEL or anyone.
    One we deffo enquired about in the summer but price tag was silly.