Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 January transfer window thread - Non Charlton, other transfers (D Day p52)

Comments

• Options
    If you’re looking at two players for each position then we currently have: 
    Mac/Hendo
    Gunter/Matthews
    Lavelle/Inniss
    Famewo/Pearce
    Leko/DJ 
    Purrington/Souare
    Dobson/Arter
    Gilbey/JFC
    Lee/Clare
    Stockley/Davison
    Washington/Schwartz replacement 

Plus Watson, Morgan, Kirk and CBT

So I think we need the striker to replace Schwartz but that still means we are one player over with JFC back. For me it has to be like for like, we are overloaded in CM. Ideally it would be Watson but I’d accept it being Arter. We need another CB too but as long as one of them is U21 we’re fine. I’d keep CBT as an impact sub, ideal if we need to go to an attacking 442.

I’d like the permanent signing to be a CB. Inniss should be released in the summer, no guarantee of signing Famewo permanently and Pearce getting on only leaves us with Lavelle. Be nice to get another one in on a 3.5 year deal who can progress with us. 

• Options
    I think CBT might end up released not because of his quality but just because unfortunately for him he's the most dispensable in that his contract is ending anyway and there are positions we need to strengthen. 

I'd like him to stay on but pragmatically unless we can shift on some others he might draw the short straw here. 
  • Options
    If Stockley is marshalled well,as he was last night, then there's no real plan B on the bench. So that needs looking at.
    Also not sure about Lee as the playmaker. A lot of his forward passes are careless. Could do with some more quality in that department too.
  • Options
    Much depends on if Jacko is still here and we decide to stick with formation as it and if that is the case one or two of the more out and out wingers might be surplus to requirements, for me Arter, Watson, Soare , Kirk , CBT and Morgan could all move on 
  • Options
    If Stockley is marshalled well,as he was last night, then there's no real plan B on the bench. So that needs looking at.
    Also not sure about Lee as the playmaker. A lot of his forward passes are careless. Could do with some more quality in that department too.
    In terms of quality personally I think Lee is the best we have. Although last night was probably his worst game for us. 
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Much depends on if Jacko is still here and we decide to stick with formation as it and if that is the case one or two of the more out and out wingers might be surplus to requirements, for me Arter, Watson, Soare , Kirk , CBT and Morgan could all move on 
    Morgan needs to go out on loan.
    Soare is cover for Purrington and could be very good as a wingback.
    Arter is probably the best cover for Dobbo.
    CBT offers something different if we need to nick a goal.

Kirk is on a long contract and I am not sure we have seen the best of him yet, but he is surplus at his present level with JJ’s system.

Watson is surplus to requirements.
  • Options
    Arter or Watson out, we have to look at another CB if we're to play 3 at the back under JJ, especially if Lavelle and Inniss are out for a while. I think we're missing a different type of striker, we need someone with electric pace who plays off the shoulder, through the middle, someone who can come on and run at tiring centre backs (similar to Leko but an out and out striker) 

I wouldn't be surprised to see us sell/loan out Kirk with a view to moving him on, sometimes it's just a case of a player not fitting in at a club and I don't think he's settled at all, and has looked pony whenever he's played so far
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    sam3110 said:
    Arter or Watson out, we have to look at another CB if we're to play 3 at the back under JJ, especially if Lavelle and Inniss are out for a while. I think we're missing a different type of striker, we need someone with electric pace who plays off the shoulder, through the middle, someone who can come on and run at tiring centre backs (similar to Leko but an out and out striker) 

I wouldn't be surprised to see us sell/loan out Kirk with a view to moving him on, sometimes it's just a case of a player not fitting in at a club and I don't think he's settled at all, and has looked pony whenever he's played so far
    Would be very very harsh to completely write off Kirk that quickly given circumstances. No he hasn't settled well but that's to be expected frankly. I think he's got potential to play in a similar role to Lee given time and patience. 
    All depends on what the coaching staff have seen day in day out from him. He only just gets into the 18 right now, and isn't used as a sub that much. Dobson went from being ostracised to the starting XI straight away under Jacko, DJ has been welcomed back into the fold too, but Kirk has barely featured under either so far and that usually hints at something more than a falling out with a manager. Plus he'll be on fair wages and we spent a fee on him, but he's not looking like the Marquee Signing he was pushed as, and they may decide to cut our losses and move him on whilst he still has value. May well be harsh but like I said sometimes it doesn't work out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    With JFC on the way back he’ll take Schwartz’s spot. That means we need to let players go before we can bring in any outfield over 21 players.

Morgan counts as u21 so moving him on won’t free a spot. Of the rest of the squad we need to look at who we’ll be letting go in the summer and see which of them we may be able to move on in January.

Due to his injuries Inniss is one of them, but for the same reason it may be difficult to attract interest. Gunter, Matthews and Watson are obvious candidates though their age and in some cases wage might result in the same issue.

With Arter being on loan ending that in January will have to be considered if he’s not getting much game time. CBT is out of contract at the end of the year and doesn’t really fit into the current formation where he’ll be required to track back more.

Kirk is another one who doesn’t fit the system unless he can grow into Lee’s role. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him loaned back to Crewe with the situation reassessed in the summer.

Soaure may well be released in the summer but it’s a long season with plenty of time for him to step up.

I don’t see Pearce going having agreed a deal in which he moves onto coaching.

Outside of those named above it would be a surprise to see anyone go.

Now we’re playing two up front another striker is needed. We have the FA Cup and another Pizza Trophy game coming up, it’s a great chance to see if we have any u23s ready to step up. I’d like to see Burstow get a start in at least one of them, given we can’t bring in anyone until January it’s worth seeing if we have a young striker who can contribute to the first team. Kanu would be an option too but I hope we can get him on a pro deal once he turns 17 to avoid another Deji situation.

I was keen for another right back to come in but this formation and our current injuries makes another CB more urgent.

We might look to sign some of the loanees permanently, I can see Lee doing so, while Leko and Famewo feels less likely.
    Amazingly, Matthews is still in his 20s
  • Options
    Our biggest need is a centre forward who combines a goal threat with pace. That was the biggest difference between Rotherham and us last night.
  • Options
    That's all true but I think there's some mitigation in that there's probably nowhere he fits in as first choice right now. With Leko/DJ being the "attacking" wing back on the right, Purrington gets the left as he's more defensive and balances the team in that sense - Kirk does not offer that, but that's not really a weakness given its a very specific tactic by Jackson. 

Similarly I could see Kirk playing off a striker as Lee does, but Lee is fit and in form now - if that changes, Kirk could be the replacement there. 

I do agree it hasn't worked out so far but I personally think he's worth hanging onto for at least a bit longer yet. If someone comes in with an offer for him to be nearer his home it might be worth taking but he's certainly not a player I'm expecting the club to be actively trying to move on. 

• Options
    Wouldn't mind seeing how Washington and Leko do together up top. With Lee and Gilbey both capable of defence splitting passes it could be a goer.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    thenewbie said:
    sam3110 said:

Would be very very harsh to completely write off Kirk that quickly given circumstances. No he hasn't settled well but that's to be expected frankly. I think he's got potential to play in a similar role to Lee given time and patience. 
    All depends on what the coaching staff have seen day in day out from him. He only just gets into the 18 right now, and isn't used as a sub that much. Dobson went from being ostracised to the starting XI straight away under Jacko, DJ has been welcomed back into the fold too, but Kirk has barely featured under either so far and that usually hints at something more than a falling out with a manager. Plus he'll be on fair wages and we spent a fee on him, but he's not looking like the Marquee Signing he was pushed as, and they may decide to cut our losses and move him on whilst he still has value. May well be harsh but like I said sometimes it doesn't work out
    As he was given a 4 yr deal, I don’t think we will cut our losses just yet. I’m expecting him to play in the lee role in the two cup games.

if he is pony in those games, then maybe send him back to Crewe on loan and try again in the summer with a full pre season.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    thenewbie said:
    sam3110 said:

As he was given a 4 yr deal, I don’t think we will cut our losses just yet. I’m expecting him to play in the lee role in the two cup games.

if he is pony in those games, then maybe send him back to Crewe on loan and try again in the summer with a full pre season.
    The cup games will be interesting, as we have players with points to prove, and who will need to do something to get back into the team under the new boss. Or indeed prove that they should be kept on after January and not loaned out or released (CBT)

• Options
    We need to use the January window as the start of the summer rebuild. I haven’t given up on a play off spot but we need to ensure that at the start of next summers pre season that we have the majority of the squad in place, bar one or two latecomers, so we can hit the ground running. If nothing else this disastrous start should have taught us that.  
    spot on
  • Options
    We need to use the January window as the start of the summer rebuild. I haven’t given up on a play off spot but we need to ensure that at the start of next summers pre season that we have the majority of the squad in place, bar one or two latecomers, so we can hit the ground running. If nothing else this disastrous start should have taught us that.  
    Agreed, but not very easy in practice. For example, let’s take Watson as the example. Going to be very hard to get someone to take off a 36 year old whose probably one of our better paid players. Can’t see TS paying him off and would probably be paying a significant amount of his contract if we shifted him to a league 2 club.Would he actually want to leave is another issue.
  • Options
    Wouldn't mind seeing how Washington and Leko do together up top. With Lee and Gilbey both capable of defence splitting passes it could be a goer.
    The counter attacks that partnership would produce would be brilliant. 
  • Options
    Agreed, but not very easy in practice. For example, let’s take Watson as the example. Going to be very hard to get someone to take off a 36 year old whose probably one of our better paid players. Can’t see TS paying him off and would probably be paying a significant amount of his contract if we shifted him to a league 2 club.Would he actually want to leave is another issue.
    When you think about why Watson signed for us there are very few teams he would leave for and even fewer that would want him.  Does he want to keep playing?  Would he be happy in the Andrew Crofts role?  Does he want to coach full time?

We could just deregister him if it's the latter two.  If that's what we want to do. If.

I still think we will be seeing more of Mr Watson than a lot of people would like between now and the end of the season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    I think we're missing a different type of striker, we need someone with electric pace who plays off the shoulder, through the middle, someone who can come on and run at tiring centre backs (similar to Leko but an out and out striker).

I've been saying this for what seems like forever. Certainly since Grant left.

Currently we have 2 big lumps (Stockley & Davison) and a willing runner in Washington. Definitely need a nippy striker or at least someone who can get on the end of things & finish. 

• Options
    love Wash for his work rate and full commitment but if he could finish we'd have won last night and he'd be in the Championship.
  • Options
    With Lavelle and Inniss falling long term lame and Pearce's reducing powers we're gonna need 2 decent centre halves in January.  Apart from that, if the right people come available at the right price/rate then we've just about got 2 players for every position.
    Barely need evolution in the squad, certainly no revolution.
    Hopefully the recruitment and release strategy is already planning for the summer
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    I think CBT might end up released not because of his quality but just because unfortunately for him he's the most dispensable in that his contract is ending anyway and there are positions we need to strengthen. 

I'd like him to stay on but pragmatically unless we can shift on some others he might draw the short straw here. 
    We offered him a new 2 year deal 
  • Options
    I don’t see the point of spending much money in January, unless there’s some real bargains out there.

We’re not going to make the top 6, we’d have to have title winning form for the rest of the season - as well as relying on other teams to capitulate. I fully a expect a couple of the current top 6 to fall away, but there’s Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday, Lincoln, etc. all ahead of us to take those spots.

Hopefully we go into January with a settled management team and they can start to mould the squad in anticipation for a title charge next season.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    thenewbie said:
    sam3110 said:

I think it's hard to judge any of the new signings at this stage. Two weeks ago most people on this board would have been complaining about Mac, Dobson, and just about every signing apart from Lee. Jackson has come in and revitalised everyone, but Kirk is quite unfortunate in that he doesn't fit into the new shape very well. He'd probably fit best in the position Lee currently occupies, but as Lee's been our best player this season there's not a lot of luck for Kirk right now. It will be interesting to see if he starts there on Saturday, would be a great opporunity for him to try out the position and show Jackson what he's about going both ways. I don't think we can write anyone in this squad off yet, it's like a new team under Jackson and everyone who hasn't shown what they're about yet hopefully has a clean slate
  • Options
    I don’t see the point of spending much money in January, unless there’s some real bargains out there.

We’re not going to make the top 6, we’d have to have title winning form for the rest of the season - as well as relying on other teams to capitulate. I fully a expect a couple of the current top 6 to fall away, but there’s Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday, Lincoln, etc. all ahead of us to take those spots.

Hopefully we go into January with a settled management team and they can start to mould the squad in anticipation for a title charge next season.
    Still 2 months to go before January, so plenty of points to play for. By then we'll be able to see whether promotion this season is realistic or not
  • Options

Still 2 months to go before January, so plenty of points to play for. By then we'll be able to see whether promotion this season is realistic or not
    I love the optimism but I don’t see any reality where we’re close to 6th come May. Far too many good sides this year and we threw away 12 games