Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

God Save Our Queen - Funeral will be Mon 19th September (p26)

Comments

• se9addick said:
    Chizz said:
    I am a huge fan of the Queen and all that she has done for our nation and will continue to support her until the end, but I feel that with her death should also mark the death of the monarchy. The world has moved on from this.
    There are two words I use to dissuade people of the notion that we should move from a constitutional monarchy to a republic. Just two words. But the two words are suffused with enough nuance and fear that anyone in their right mind will know that the dangers of a British Republic are far too real to risk. 

President Johnson 
    Would getting rid of the monarchy necessitate a switch to a presidential system? Surely we could/would continue with our current political structure and just have a figurehead head of state for opening supermarkets/doing a Christmas speech?  
    We would need a Head of State if we were no longer a monarchy. 
  • se9addick said:
    Chizz said:
    I am a huge fan of the Queen and all that she has done for our nation and will continue to support her until the end, but I feel that with her death should also mark the death of the monarchy. The world has moved on from this.
    There are two words I use to dissuade people of the notion that we should move from a constitutional monarchy to a republic. Just two words. But the two words are suffused with enough nuance and fear that anyone in their right mind will know that the dangers of a British Republic are far too real to risk. 

President Johnson 
    Would getting rid of the monarchy necessitate a switch to a presidential system? Surely we could/would continue with our current political structure and just have a figurehead head of state for opening supermarkets/doing a Christmas speech?  
    That's what the Irish President effectively is
  • edited November 2021
    Having a President and a Prime Minister as explained by Henry above is at least Democratic. You vote them in and you can vote them out or perhaps fixed term. Having a constitutional monarchy, no matter with what terminology you dress it up with is anything but democratic. 
  • Rothko said:
    If your worried about democratic deficits in the UK system, and not starting with major reform of the voting system, then you’re missing the real issues in the UK system 
    They’re not mutually exclusive.
  • A constitutional monarchy is the least of the problems, compared to total power on 38% of the vote, or the second chamber being unelected, or the lack of powers at local level 
  • Rothko said:
    A constitutional monarchy is the least of the problems, compared to total power on 38% of the vote, or the second chamber being unelected, or the lack of powers at local level 
    Oh I agree but this thread is about The Queen.
  • It seems pretty obvious that she can remain Queen and let Charles do the public duties. At her age if she wants to do something she should of course, but the default should be not doing it. 
  • Chizz said:
    se9addick said:
    Chizz said:

President Johnson 
    We would need a Head of State if we were no longer a monarchy. 
    I know, that’s why I said it!
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Chizz said:

President Johnson 
    I see what you've done there - subtle...
  • se9addick said:
    Chizz said:

President Johnson 
    Which is what we have already. 
    The Royals open a few libraries etc and are independently wealthy, most of the “powers” they have are ceded to the Government anyway. 
    Why change anything ?
    The tax-payer will still pick up the tab for their security forever and a day. 
    They are good for tourism, steeped in history - and believe it or not, people do enjoy meeting them at public functions. 

Also, in the age of fake news:
    When HM comes on the telly and tells us to sit tight for a bumpy Covid ride. You know something is really wrong. 
  • I was thinking that if we decided to replace the Royals with an elected "ceremonial" President as in Ireland, and Prince William stood, he would probably win!
  • Chizz said:
    I know it is a sombre occasion, but Prince Charles looked very sad this morning at the Cenotaph. I think this is probably the first time that he has attended without one of his parents being there.
    Isn't 'very sad' the only acceptable countenance at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday? 
    I did say it's a sombre occasion, but I think he looked particularly sad this time.
    I’ve just seen it, poor bloke and looked very close to tears.
  • I was thinking that if we decided to replace the Royals with an elected "ceremonial" President as in Ireland, and Prince William stood, he would probably win!
    Then that’s democracy. However. Eventually William will become head of state with nobody to challenge that. That isn’t democracy. 
  • Chizz said:
    I don't want to derail the thread any further, so I'll just say I hope Her Majesty recovers from her latest setback and goes on to live a very happy life for many more years to come; and that she is succeeded by the Prince of Wales. 
    Oh Christ! Have you heard a rumour about Charlie? :smile:
    Then that’s democracy. However. Eventually William will become head of state with nobody to challenge that. That isn’t democracy. 
    I wasn't defending the status quo, just trying to think who would be trusted to be head of state more than someone like William in the first instance.

Actually, it might be quite nice to not be "stuck" with the job for life, as with the current arrangement
  • Chizz said:
    I know it is a sombre occasion, but Prince Charles looked very sad this morning at the Cenotaph. I think this is probably the first time that he has attended without one of his parents being there.
    Isn't 'very sad' the only acceptable countenance at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday? 
    I did say it's a sombre occasion, but I think he looked particularly sad this time.
    I’ve just seen it, poor bloke and looked very close to tears.
    T’was his birthday too.
    Probably a day full of all kinds of emotions.

• I'm convinced she's more unwell than they're letting on
    Me too, sadly.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Queen has been seen taking part in public duties for the first time since she pulled out of the Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph.

She was pictured having a face-to-face audience with Gen Sir Nick Carter, chief of the defence staff, at Windsor Castle on Wednesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59322086

• I don't think that the Queen has any particular wish to retire from any of her duties, but its now a question of what she is (and is not) physically capable of doing. 
  • She looks really old in that recent pic, bless her. So used to seeing her look so well for her age, you forget how old she actually is.
  • edited November 2021
    To be fair to her, she is really old. Good health for a 95 year old is relative surely. No reason she can't remain Queen and do what she feels up to doing with no expectations or everybody worrying about her health and Princess Anne and Prince Charles can take up the slack.
  • Doesn't high treason still carry the death penalty?
  • Croydon said:
    Doesn't high treason still carry the death penalty?
    Off with his head.
  • Croydon said:
    He's been sectioned
  • Croydon said:
    He's been sectioned
    As in hanged, drawn and quartered?
    I’d love to see someone announce that that was the course of action for a laugh and see what happened .