Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

God Save Our Queen - Funeral will be Mon 19th September (p26)

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:
    I’m not particularly royalist but I can’t see how anyone can wish her anything but gratitude for what she has done day in day out for God knows how long.  95 and still working and just gets on with it.  Aren’t we something like 70 years into her reign?  She hasn’t stopped.  

I also think that when she does sadly leave us that Charles will do a good job and William too.  I recall a few years back catching an interview with William, Kate and Harry, maybe at the London marathon, and they were talking about raising awareness for mental health.  They get it and I think William will be a great Head of State.

The worst side of the royal family is Prince Andrew and what happened to Diana.  It, like every family/business/institution/football club has its issues, but overall I feel that the good they do, far outweighs the constant need for people to ask for it to be abolished.  I’d much rather have the Queen in charge than the current prat that rules our Country 
    Agreed with everything you said up until that last sentence. What we need is democracy. I think it’s clear by anyone that’s read my views on Boris Johnson, but it’s him that should be “in charge” NOT The Queen. The British electorate put him in charge. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I’m not particularly royalist but I can’t see how anyone can wish her anything but gratitude for what she has done day in day out for God knows how long.  95 and still working and just gets on with it.  Aren’t we something like 70 years into her reign?  She hasn’t stopped.  

I also think that when she does sadly leave us that Charles will do a good job and William too.  I recall a few years back catching an interview with William, Kate and Harry, maybe at the London marathon, and they were talking about raising awareness for mental health.  They get it and I think William will be a great Head of State.

The worst side of the royal family is Prince Andrew and what happened to Diana.  It, like every family/business/institution/football club has its issues, but overall I feel that the good they do, far outweighs the constant need for people to ask for it to be abolished.  I’d much rather have the Queen in charge than the current prat that rules our Country 
    Agreed with everything you said up until that last sentence. What we need is democracy. I think it’s clear by anyone that’s read my views on Boris Johnson, but it’s him that should be “in charge” NOT The Queen. The British electorate put him in charge. 
    Sorry shooters, meant that more in respect of that fact she would do a better job, be a better leader.  Not as you say in the unelected sense 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:

Sorry shooters, meant that more in respect of that fact she would do a better job, be a better leader.  Not as you say in the unelected sense 
    She bloody well could too.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    bobmunro said:
    I just don't understand the affection people have for the Monarchy. I'm clearly the odd one out in that regard.
    I have zero affection for the institution, I have enormous respect for Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth Windsor.
    Fixed that so it isn't, frankly, hilariously ironic
    I think you mean Elizabeth Battenburg. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Leuth said:
    bobmunro said:
    I just don't understand the affection people have for the Monarchy. I'm clearly the odd one out in that regard.
    I have zero affection for the institution, I have enormous respect for Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth Windsor.
    So as an atheist I cannot have respect for Archbishop  Desmond Tutu ? 
    You wouldn't say 'I have respect for the Most Reverend Archbishop Desmond Tutu' unless you were respectful of the institution, or showboating ;) 
    Or being polite?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    bobmunro said:
    Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - changed to Windsor in 1917 due to anti-German feeling during WW1.
  • Options
    @Leuth do you respect people's pronouns?
  • Options
    @bobmunro
    No
    Plan
    Yours
    To
    Study
    History
    Stories (Saxe-Coburg-Gotha)
    Wisely. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Not sure she does.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Gribbo said:
    Not sure she does.
    Nor do they.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    bobmunro said:
    Why? I know plenty of married women who haven’t taken their husbands name. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    bobmunro said:
    I was just pointing out that 'our' Royal Family are a bunch of Hanoverians who, incidentally, have all been descended from Mary Queen of Scots so she got the last laugh over the first Elizabeth.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    bobmunro said:
    I was just pointing out that 'our' Royal Family are a bunch of Hanoverians who, incidentally, have all been descended from Mary Queen of Scots so she got the last laugh over the first Elizabeth.
    Hardly call being beheaded having the last laugh.
  • Options
    Hope the Queen continues to live a long life.

When she does eventually retire or pass, personally I would rather the crown was given to William and bypassed his Dad and I think if they did that they may have a chance of surviving a bit longer. It's all opinions, but mine is that the monarchy is preferable to an elected head of state, just.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    Hope the Queen continues to live a long life.

When she does eventually retire or pass, personally I would rather the crown was given to William and bypassed his Dad and I think if they did that they may have a chance of surviving a bit longer. It's all opinions, but mine is that the monarchy is preferable to an elected head of state, just.
    I see this a lot.

I think it likely William wouldn't want it yet to be honest - let him enjoy more time with a young family etc before all that.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Don’t worry….Charles will be a decent enough Sovereign.
    The first thing he’s going to find difficult to handle is that he simply cannot continue to air his views on certain matters…no matter how niche or exemplary or close to his heart they may be.
    Elizabeth has been brilliant at this…..an intelligent woman unable to express her views for her entire life, she has remained as discreet and uncontroversial as it’s possible to be. 
    Can you imagine all the state secrets let alone intriguing bits of tittle tattle she will take to her grave…...she could write a book as thick as an elephants arse.
    What a very interesting life she has led and it’s by no means over yet!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don’t worry….Charles will be a decent enough Sovereign.
    The first thing he’s going to find difficult to handle is that he simply cannot continue to air his views on certain matters…no matter how niche or exemplary or close to his heart they may be.
    Elizabeth has been brilliant at this…..an intelligent woman unable to express her views for her entire life, she has remained as discreet and uncontroversial as it’s possible to be. 
    Can you imagine all the state secrets let alone intriguing bits of tittle tattle she will take to her grave…...she could write a book as thick as an elephants arse.
    What a very interesting life she has led and it’s by no means over yet!

(TBF I did edit out a huge bird of prey that was one inch away :))
  • Options
    Very good Dave
  • Options
    Pulled out at the last minute from the Remembrance Day service which means so much to her. Quoted as a strained back. I can’t help but feel there is more to it than that - very worrying. Of course we know she is an elderly lady but I can’t help but be concerned at what’s happening behind the scenes.
    Is the problem when you're having to pick up so much Corgi shit

On a serious note hope she rests and recovers accordingly, strained backs are no fun
  • Options
    She must be devastated, would probably have been the last on she’d attend (although hopefully not).
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Chizz said:
    I am a huge fan of the Queen and all that she has done for our nation and will continue to support her until the end, but I feel that with her death should also mark the death of the monarchy. The world has moved on from this.
    There are two words I use to dissuade people of the notion that we should move from a constitutional monarchy to a republic. Just two words. But the two words are suffused with enough nuance and fear that anyone in their right mind will know that the dangers of a British Republic are far too real to risk. 

President Johnson 
    is there anyway that the Monarch could actually sack a Prime minister?