Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

God Save Our Queen - Funeral will be Mon 19th September (p26)

Comments

• Options
    In light of AFKAs request not to start controversial non Charlton related threads maybe this one needs to go.
    Or people could just show some respect and shut up
    "Agree with me or shut up".
    You can’t resist trying to wind people up over a 95 year old woman being unwell. Do you not realise how pathetic that makes you look?
    Yes. You keep saying how pathetic I am. It's nothing to do with her being unwell and I don't wish her anything but good health but the kneejerk subservience is pathetic.
    Subservience? What are you talking about? It’s literally a thread of people showing respect, apart from you. If that irritates you so much, perhaps close the thread and read something else. 
    OK. I'll delete my previous comments and leave you to it.
  • Options
    Ah you're so edgy for hating the queen. Wish I was as cool as you. 
  • Options
    A thread is opened about the 95 year old Queen needing to rest for 2 more weeks. Out come the anti Monarchy and Irish republican mobs who have to tell us all that the monarchy is shit and that the Queen has done naff all in all those years - not opinions based on the original thread either. 
    When the sad day does arrive, I’ll give the RIP thread 2 pages before it’s closed.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    A thread is opened about the 95 year old Queen needing to rest for 2 more weeks. Out come the anti Monarchy and Irish republican mobs who have to tell us all that the monarchy is shit and that the Queen has done naff all in all those years - not opinions based on the original thread either. 
    When the sad day does arrive, I’ll give the RIP thread 2 pages before it’s closed.
    I asked a question. Not really answered yet. That’s all. I don’t think anyone has used the words you mention. 
    There has been abuse to anyone who doesn’t follow the groupthink line though.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    She is one of the constants of my life.
    Me too…..I was five when she became our Monarch….nearing 68 years ago!
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I asked a question. Not really answered yet. That’s all. I don’t think anyone has used the words you mention. 
    The thread was about someone’s health. Even you later said that your question is possibly a new low point.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    The thread was about someone’s health. Even you later said that your question is possibly a new low point.
    Not really. I was being polite and not wanting to inflame the debate whilst still hoping for a substantive answer.
  • Options
    In light of AFKAs request not to start controversial non Charlton related threads maybe this one needs to go.
    Or people could just show some respect and shut up
    Centuries of the English class-system in a nutshell ;)

I hope HM gets some well-deserved rest and is back to good health soon.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    She should put her feet up, she has certainly earned it!
    Or dust off her HGV licence and get delivering. 
  • Options
    I just don't understand the affection people have for the Monarchy. I'm clearly the odd one out in that regard.
    No, I’m with you. Still have to accept she’s done a good job with the hand she was dealt. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I just don't understand the affection people have for the Monarchy. I'm clearly the odd one out in that regard.
    I have zero affection for the institution, I have enormous respect for Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth Windsor.
    Fixed that so it isn't, frankly, hilariously ironic
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    bobmunro said:
    I have zero affection for the institution, I have enormous respect for Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth Windsor.
    So as an atheist I cannot have respect for Archbishop  Desmond Tutu ? 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    Leuth said:
    bobmunro said:
    So as an atheist I cannot have respect for Archbishop  Desmond Tutu ? 
    You wouldn't say 'I have respect for the Most Reverend Archbishop Desmond Tutu' unless you were respectful of the institution, or showboating ;) 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Not really. I was being polite and not wanting to inflame the debate whilst still hoping for a substantive answer.
    You know exactly what you're doing by repeatedly asking that question on this thread though. You've got Google, go and ask that. 
    I’m interested in what people on here think. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Croydon said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    You know exactly what you're doing by repeatedly asking that question on this thread though. You've got Google, go and ask that. 
    I’m interested in what people on here think. 
    I’ll have a crack then. Being monarch for such a long time where for obvious reasons she takes an interest in how the country is run and has a meeting with the PM of the day on a weekly basis she is in a position where she has an awful lot of knowledge and experience of the affairs of state. Although she isn’t in a position to directly influence the government of the day, I have little doubt that she is in a position to let the PM know where she stands. I think it takes a brave PM to ignore her views should she intimate them however subtly. Do I agree that she should be in this position ? No. I’m a republican but, it is what it is and until or when the monarchy is abolished, which unfortunately in my opinion isn’t any time soon then The Queen has had a stabilising and calming influence on the excesses of governments. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Exactly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Not really ? But you did write that, it’s in black and white. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Not really ? But you did write that, it’s in black and white. 
    I think you will find someone else wrote that in response to iainment.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    bobmunro said:
    Bit like you really.

But unlike you, she has earned that respect.
  • Options
    She’s done an exceptional job if you looked her as a politician as well, the approval rating for the monarchy are higher now, then when she took the throne.

I’m no royalist, agonist about it, but she’s done an amazing job in the role, and deserves the affection she gets, I do hope she is allowed to do the job at her pace now, and make the right call about who succeeds 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    She’s done an exceptional job if you looked her as a politician as well, the approval rating for the monarchy are higher now, then when she took the throne.

I’m no royalist, agonist about it, but she’s done an amazing job in the role, and deserves the affection she gets, I do hope she is allowed to do the job at her pace now, and make the right call about who succeeds 
    She doesn’t get a say in that.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

She can influence it hugely 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Really ? How ? When she dies if Charles wants it then regardless of her views he becomes king. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Really ? How ? When she dies if Charles wants it then regardless of her views he becomes king. 
    More to the point, its not even a case of Charles wanting it. The succession is a given. Any deviation from the line of succession is a massive legal and constitutional issue rather than a simple choice.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    AndyG said:
    I think the vast majority of people appreciate what the queen has done for the country and when the time comes it will be a sad period indeed. 
    However she will be a very hard act to follow and I think some rethinking from the institution might be needed in order to survive long term. 
    What actually has she done?
    Her duty.
  • Options
    I’m not particularly royalist but I can’t see how anyone can wish her anything but gratitude for what she has done day in day out for God knows how long.  95 and still working and just gets on with it.  Aren’t we something like 70 years into her reign?  She hasn’t stopped.  

I also think that when she does sadly leave us that Charles will do a good job and William too.  I recall a few years back catching an interview with William, Kate and Harry, maybe at the London marathon, and they were talking about raising awareness for mental health.  They get it and I think William will be a great Head of State.

The worst side of the royal family is Prince Andrew and what happened to Diana.  It, like every family/business/institution/football club has its issues, but overall I feel that the good they do, far outweighs the constant need for people to ask for it to be abolished.  I’d much rather have the Queen in charge than the current prat that rules our Country