Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

God Save Our Queen - Funeral will be Mon 19th September (p26)

Comments

• Options
    They would get my vote too, perhaps adding Nelson Mandela
    A bit late...
    Immortal?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I think that the forum is going to have one hell of a time when she does eventually pass away. Not just CL of course but the entire country too.
    Just reading this thread it’s clear there is going to be divided opinions and maybe some folk will be genuinely very upset (I know I will be) and not want to hear anything other than sadness and respect for her.
    I suppose we will simply have to see how things turn out, but there will certainly be tension in the air.
    Anyway….let’s hope it’s a long way off yet and I’m seeing and worrying unnecessarily about things that aren’t really there.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    If they find a way to make people immortal, The Queen and Attenborough would be the first 2 people I'd want us to ask 
    Definitely a no from me. The thought of immortality is hell, literary. Imagine watching your children and loved ones growing old and passing away. 
    Just appreciate the long and good life’s some have lived. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I think the vast majority of people appreciate what the queen has done for the country and when the time comes it will be a sad period indeed. 
    However she will be a very hard act to follow and I think some rethinking from the institution might be needed in order to survive long term. 

It's worrying.

The country will be in turmoil when the queen dies and she is irreplaceable.

I fear the consequences.

I hope her long life will mostly be celebrated.

Might be ideal if they just let her retire from duties and pass it over now. Give William an early king apprenticeship.

I used to be one of the overly anarchist opinionated idiots, but I was following outside influences.

I don't have an actual opinion on the royal family and I don't care about them. Just assumed it's best to pretend to have an opinion.
  • Options
    The convicted terrorist ? 
  • Options
    Only joking ! 
  • Options
    As others have said I’m another who doesn’t believe in the institution of the monarchy and they clearly have their issues. But I have enormous respect for the Queen and will mourn her death as an when it happens, hopefully it won’t be soon. Let her stick her feet up, she’s earned it.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    Only joking ! 
    Have some respect.
  • Options
    I'm a weird one too, sing the national anthem like my chest is going to burst, love my queen 

However I have a real problem with the ruling class and the appetite we have as a working class to be subservient and ruled. Not that I do anything substabtial about it. 

God save the Queen 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    She is one of the constants of my life.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I think the vast majority of people appreciate what the queen has done for the country and when the time comes it will be a sad period indeed. 
    However she will be a very hard act to follow and I think some rethinking from the institution might be needed in order to survive long term. 
    What actually has she done?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    iainment said:
    AndyG said:
    A new low point.
    Maybe, but what has she actually done?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
  • Options
    iainment said:
    MrWalker said:
    iainment said:
    AndyG said:
    A new low point.
    If ever a figurehead was required in the latter half of the 20th century and and the 21st then surely the Queen has earned our deepest respect.  How she has managed to hold her head up through all the turmoil that she has endured with her shonky family is beyond me.

What sort of “accomplishments” did you have in mind my the way iainment.
  • Options
    A bit late...
    Immortal?

"If they find a way to make people immortal, The Queen and Attenborough would be the first 2 people I'd want us to ask".

The OP could physically ask The Queen and David Attenborough....They would have a job asking Mandela....

• Options
    edited October 2021
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    iainment said:
    MrWalker said:
    iainment said:
    AndyG said:
    A new low point.
    If ever a figurehead was required in the latter half of the 20th century and and the 21st then surely the Queen has earned our deepest respect.  How she has managed to hold her head up through all the turmoil that she has endured with her shonky family is beyond me.

To be fair iainment was asking what AndyG and MrWalker what accomplishments they had in mind (the former stating 'the vast majority of people appreciate what the queen has done for the country')

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    MrWalker said:
    iainment said:
    AndyG said:
    A new low point.

It’s not for me to say but if people come up with vague statements of how wonderful she is without actually saying anything of what she’s done I think it’s fair enough to ask the question.
    If someone gave you a list of accomplishments, would you consider changing your opinion? I suspect I know the answer (not a personal dig, just a reflection on the nature of the debate) and therefore this conversation only goes down the route of entrenched views and eventual closure...
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    MrWalker said:
    iainment said:
    AndyG said:
    A new low point.

It’s not for me to say but if people come up with vague statements of how wonderful she is without actually saying anything of what she’s done I think it’s fair enough to ask the question.
    If someone gave you a list of accomplishments, would you consider changing your opinion? I suspect I know the answer (not a personal dig, just a reflection on the nature of the debate) and therefore this conversation only goes down the route of entrenched views and eventual closure...
    Give me the list then and we’ll see. 
  • Options
    Will we get a day or two off work? 
  • Options
    I am 100% a Royalist and have the utmost respect for the Queen. Not only does she represent our
    country but also our history. It's gonna be a sad day indeed when the inevitable happens. Personally
    I don't think she would step down unless it was forced upon her. 

A speech by the Queen on her 21st Birthday, 1947. Published 21 April 1947 said [quote]

' I declare before you all that my
     whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong'. [unquote]

I can't begin to think about Charles and 'God save our gracious KING'...after all the years it will
    take a bit of getting used to...

below is a video of what is planned called Operation London Bridge...

https://youtu.be/CC5hzJNWIrY

• Options
    In light of AFKAs request not to start controversial non Charlton related threads maybe this one needs to go.
    Or people could just show some respect and shut up
    Are people not allowed to state an opinion then?
  • Options
    Here is another interesting video which shows the Queens potential power and what could in
    theory happen if she ever had wanted to wield the full weight of her position and passed on to those succeeding...

https://youtu.be/wiDCwqpupj8