Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deji Elerewe - won League One Apprentice of the year at EFL 2022 Awards (p11)

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Ged Roddy's expertise in Football appeared to be as the architecture of the Development fees paid to clubs when young scholars are hovered up by the big Boys.

Did Ged's plan still favour the Category A Academies big time over the vulnerability of Cat B teams like Cafc, despite Roddy saying on CAST Q+A that his template increased the amount Cat B academics received.

Steve Avory and his coaches and now Ged Roddy have to highlight the talent and potential and get the likes of Deji Elerewe signed up for longer on their 17th birthday, as they have done with Anderson. 

Some kids lose their way and don't progress, but cafc have to be discerning and make those decisions. It's imperative we become a CAT A and I would expect Ged Roddy and Thomas Sandgaard to have this as a major goal as well as Championship status.

Wheels are in motion in this regard
    Can you please elaborate @Swisdom
  • Options
    Can’t imagine Thomas Sandgaard will improve Sparrows Lane to a Category 1 status without owning the training ground.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Ged Roddy's expertise in Football appeared to be as the architecture of the Development fees paid to clubs when young scholars are hovered up by the big Boys.

Did Ged's plan still favour the Category A Academies big time over the vulnerability of Cat B teams like Cafc, despite Roddy saying on CAST Q+A that his template increased the amount Cat B academics received.

Steve Avory and his coaches and now Ged Roddy have to highlight the talent and potential and get the likes of Deji Elerewe signed up for longer on their 17th birthday, as they have done with Anderson. 

Some kids lose their way and don't progress, but cafc have to be discerning and make those decisions. It's imperative we become a CAT A and I would expect Ged Roddy and Thomas Sandgaard to have this as a major goal as well as Championship status.

With Ged on board this would be one of his objectives. they’ve done the necessary maths to prove the worth of Cat 1 to us over the years so now we just need to identify exactly what the eppp requires and we’ll see what we need to do to achieve this.

In the immortal words of Russell Slade….”a little bit of patience”
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:

With Ged on board this would be one of his objectives. they’ve done the necessary maths to prove the worth of Cat 1 to us over the years so now we just need to identify exactly what the eppp requires and we’ll see what we need to do to achieve this.

Meanwhile a few more prospects walk out the door ................... frustrating
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:

So more a case of the wheels are being inflated, than are actually in motion  ;)
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Can’t imagine Thomas Sandgaard will improve Sparrows Lane to a Category 1 status without owning the training ground.
    The academy doesn't have to be at Sparrows Lane. 
    I know, but I don’t believe Thomas would walk away from Sparrows Lane at this point. 

He’s already spent a handsome amount of money with ad hoc improvements at SL. We’re a year into his ownership and I’d have expected to hear rumblings if he’d considered relocating 
  • Options
    Grass is green, water is wet, chartlon lose another kid thats barely ever featured for the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:

Geddy wrote the EPPP.  If we are trying to identify what it requires after employing him then wtf.  Surely that is a one afternoon presentation from him to TS to explain what he wrote?  
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    LoOkOuT said:
    Why? I have no idea if it's likely, but it's not unreasonable. It's like any business, you invest money into the premises to achieve what you need. Apple, for example, doesn't own it's Regent Street, or Bluewater, or Covent Garden locations, but they invest heavily in them and they see a return on those investments. Retailers look to secure the right lease terms first. I don't have a complete understanding of the terms needed for CAT 1 status, but I'm just making the point that if Roddy understands the terms and they are comfortable with a plan for the necessary investment, not owning the freehold *may* not be the deterrent some of us think it is.

Apple are about the most profitable business on the planet aren't they?  In UK football parlance that is Chelsea or Man City with their vast and expensive academies and near limitless resources.

We are a name who has had superb past success but no longer own our properties, are making huge annual losses and with limited capital are needing to choose whether to invest into something we have a finite lease on... So more like Woolworths. (We even both employed Southall ffs)
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I know, but I don’t believe Thomas would walk away from Sparrows Lane at this point. 

He’s already spent a handsome amount of money with ad hoc improvements at SL. We’re a year into his ownership and I’d have expected to hear rumblings if he’d considered relocating 
    I think what he's implying is that the academy and training ground don't have to be in the same location. So the senior players would still train at DL, whilst the academy is run on a campus probably further out, specifically tailored to the academy's needs/requirements 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I think what he's implying is that the academy and training ground don't have to be in the same location. So the senior players would still train at DL, whilst the academy is run on a campus probably further out, specifically tailored to the academy's needs/requirements 
    Either way, that's not something that can happen quickly. There aren't fully equipped facilities just lying around empty, waiting to be used

And most clubs want everyone together on one site, men, women and academy.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I would rather monies be spent on players capable of getting us out of League 1first. 
  • Options
    The best way to hold on to our best youngsters is to be much higher up the football pyramid than 4th bottom League One.
    As things stand there are two dozen or more clubs that are probably more attractive.
    Even better if we were a cat 1 academy.

What are Roddy and Sandgaard doing about that?
    Might make a difference, but what can they do if we don't own the training ground?
    Am I right in thinking the criteria includes certain requirements on that front?

Yes, but it's not just about facilities
    I should have directly posed the question in the Roddy/Gallen Q&A, but I can't see how a Cat 1 academy is affordable for a club outside at least the Championship, with the extra coaching required.

Palace have only recently reached Cat 1 themselves, and they have a similar track record to us when it comes to producing players, indeed possibly better
    Do they? I don't think so. How many current Premier League players can you name who came through their academy? Is that figure really more than ours?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

How far down the line are we with this?
  • Options
    The best way to hold on to our best youngsters is to be much higher up the football pyramid than 4th bottom League One.
    As things stand there are two dozen or more clubs that are probably more attractive.

Might make a difference, but what can they do if we don't own the training ground?
    Am I right in thinking the criteria includes certain requirements on that front?

I should have directly posed the question in the Roddy/Gallen Q&A, but I can't see how a Cat 1 academy is affordable for a club outside at least the Championship, with the extra coaching required.

Palace have only recently reached Cat 1 themselves, and they have a similar track record to us when it comes to producing players, indeed possibly better
    Do they? I don't think so. How many current Premier League players can you name who came through their academy? Is that figure really more than ours?

Zaha
    Wan-Bissaka
    Mitchell
    Clyne

Struggling to think of many others
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Zaha
    Wan-Bissaka
    Mitchell
    Clyne

Freddie Woodman also

Plus other recently ex PL players like Victor Moses, Wayne Routledge, Lewis Grabban and a certain Ben Watson...

• Options
    shine166 said:
    Grass is green, water is wet, chartlon lose another kid thats barely ever featured for the club.
    Good try, what about this -

Grass is green
    Water is wet
    Charlton lose Deji
    On that you can bet

Grass is green
    Water is wet
    Supporting Charlton
    Is why I do Ket.
    Can you stop sharing it with our defenders pre-game please. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

If only there was a campus near Sparrows Lane 😉
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Grass is green
    Water is wet
    Charlton losing
    Is the winning bet
  • Options
    No one needs panic about Sparrows Lane improvements, what with Tony Keohane as the lead project manager.

He's down B&Q at the moment choosing the splashbacks for the apprentice's wash basins as we speak.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    No one needs panic about Sparrows Lane improvements, what with Tony Keohane as the lead project manager.

He's down B&Q at the moment choosing the splashbacks for the apprentice's wash basins as we speak.
    He’s just posed for his latest picture 🤣

• Options

Zaha
    Wan-Bissaka
    Mitchell
    Clyne

Freddie Woodman also

Plus other recently ex PL players like Victor Moses, Wayne Routledge, Lewis Grabban and a certain Ben Watson...

But you're going back over more than a decade there, probably before we lost Shelvey. We've lost loads since then.
  • Options
    Not entirely clued up on it but what are the benefits of being a category 1 academy compared to what we are now ?
    Does it mean we get higher fees for players out of contract ?  
  • Options
    Not entirely clued up on it but what are the benefits of being a category 1 academy compared to what we are now ?
    Does it mean we get higher fees for players out of contract ?  
    It makes us a more attractive proposition to many young players (& their families and agents) but yes we should also be able to claim higher sale fees and higher development fees.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    As a Cat.2 club we can only sign players that are a maximum of an hour and a half from us.

As a Cat.1 club we'd be able to sign players from wherever we want in the country