Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pape Souaré - signed by Morecambe (p9)

Comments

• Options
    Of course he's cheap. God is evening out the selfish wrongs of Lyle et co for Charlton Athletic.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Looked v good at Palace before the crash
    Just had a chat with my Palace neighbour, he said that he would love the pre accident Pape back in their team right now.

Obviously has a lot of talent. Fingers crossed that he can find it again for him and Charlton. 
  • Options
    I’m shocked and frankly appalled these haven’t been posted until page 7.

The Sénégal Marcello: 
    https://youtu.be/fCTpVKAILl0

Likes a set-piece goal:
    https://youtu.be/vZGgaxYSuqs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    We seem to be confusing having anyone at a position rather than having quality at a position. Let’s see what happens.
    Which free agent left back would you have signed?
    Would have been helpful if there had just been a window in which you could sign or loan players in. 
    Clearly we decided Souare is a better option than anyone we could get on loan, whether it’s down to ability and/or value for money.
    Cheap basically. Fine but let's not beat around the bush. There's a high risk he's a bust and not worth having due to his injury 2 years ago. 
    His injury was in 2016. He was playing regularly for Troyes until Covid closed down the French League

You moaned about Ged Roddy stopping a LB coming in order to fast track his son but now you're moaning we went for a cheap option.  We're a league one club, all our signings are cheap options.

He might be a huge flop but so might be Lee, Arter, Lavelle, Leko, Dobson, Clare, Henderson or Kirk.  That's football, every signing is a risk.
    Totally agree……..we have to accept that some of the new signings we will be disappointed with and some will surpass our expectations.
    As you say…..”That’s football, every signing is a risk.”
    Particularly when you are in the accursed 3rd tier.
  • Options
    Needed a back up lefback got a backup leftback.  Nothing to get carried away with, nothing to cry over.
    Pre accident this guy was too good for a league one team. No doubt. Post accident who knows. He won’t have lost his football brain and I doubt he will have lost his technical ability. What’s in question is the ability for his body to recover enough to be an athlete again. If his body doesn’t fold then he’ll be first choice without doubt. 
    Joe Ledley was a top class international midfielder earlier in his career, indeed he would have played alongside Souare, but he was a shadow of that when he joined us...

• Options
    Scoham said:
    We seem to be confusing having anyone at a position rather than having quality at a position. Let’s see what happens.

Declan John, age 25, from Swansea
    Tom O'Connor, 22, Southampton
    Reece James, 26, Blackpool
    Max Clark, 25, Hull
    Connor Ogilvie, 22, Portsmouth
    Brendan Galloway, 25, Luton
    All played last year, all are younger, all signed for L1 clubs, all were available for free and all have higher market values. I think we just signed the only L1 left back who did not play last year for a club. And also the oldest. I believe all of the above would have been better free transfers if we did not wait til the end of the window (and after) to starting filling our roster.
    “Are you Collin in disguise”
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Max Clark, 25, Hull
    All played last year, all are younger, all signed for L1 clubs, all were available for free and all have higher market values. I think we just signed the only L1 left back who did not play last year for a club. And also the oldest. I believe all of the above would have been better free transfers if we did not wait til the end of the window (and after) to starting filling our roster.
    “Are you Collin in disguise”
    I would guess Colin thinks Souare is a quality signing.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Max Clark, 25, Hull
    Maybe it's felt we don't need any of those when we have Ben Purrington, 25, Charlton.

Makes sense to bring in an experienced player as competition. Of those listed by you, I think Ogilvie is the only upgrade on Purrington.
  • Options
    Just goes to show that you cant please all the people all the time lol
    If the recruitment team think he is worth signing that's good enough for me. Good luck and a big welcome hopefully you do great for us
  • Options
    We would be naïve to believe that Souare is anywhere near the player that played for Palace pre injury . If he was then he wouldn't be thinking of signing for us in League One .

Unfashionably on here I am happy with Gunter and Matthews as options at Right Back , I now believe we have an equal option on the left . Once the Saturday / Tuesday cycle begins we will need the extra cover  . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Would have been helpful if there had just been a window in which you could sign or loan players in. 
    Clearly we decided Souare is a better option than anyone we could get on loan, whether it’s down to ability and/or value for money.
    Cheap basically. Fine but let's not beat around the bush. There's a high risk he's a bust and not worth having due to his injury 2 years ago. 
    Would you pay first team wages for a left back who will be cover, unless he really impresses? If we wanted a first choice it would been a higher priority.

I think NA rates Purrington more than most and get the impression he wants full backs who are solid defensively, rather than naturally very attacking but inconsistent like Maatsen. One reason is perhaps having more freedom to use attacking wingers on each side.
    I wouldn't really say there's any proof of that due to how late he came in and the focus on the next season. Purrington was going to be his player and Maatsen wasn't. 

Anyway, lets hope it pays off, Purrington comes back soon and doesn't get injured again. 
    It’s only a guess based on the limited time he’s managed the club, I agree there isn’t any proof.

However I feel if he really needed a different style full back it would be have been a high priority as it would be key to his style of play. There’s probably a lot quick young Prem full backs available for loan out there, it’s the style most of them are at that level.
    And many are very good getting forward, but not so dependable defensively.

Purrington is dependable defensively.

• Options
    Be interesting to see if Pape makes the bench in the next few games. I don’t how he can’t be too far from fitness. He had a pre season with Palace U23’s and trained with us for a couple of weeks. Must have passed our medical. I doubt we would be offering any contract to a player that hadn’t proved a high level of fitness, Didn’t we blow out a couple of Medical’s already this season ? if not quite match sharp. Looking forward to this guy showing what he’s got. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:

Max Clark, 25, Hull
    Maybe it's felt we don't need any of those when we have Ben Purrington, 25, Charlton.

Makes sense to bring in an experienced player as competition. Of those listed by you, I think Ogilvie is the only upgrade on Purrington.
    Does not need to be an upgrade on Purrington, just an upgrade on Souare.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:

Max Clark, 25, Hull

Does not need to be an upgrade on Purrington, just an upgrade on Souare.
    Yes they do need to be an upgrade on Purrington if they are going to be first choice. I can't see any of those signing knowing they will be back-up/second choice.

Souare on the other hand knows he needs to prove himself and earn a place on merit.