Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pape Souaré - signed by Morecambe (p9)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    We seem to be confusing having anyone at a position rather than having quality at a position. Let’s see what happens.
    Which free agent left back would you have signed?
    Would have been helpful if there had just been a window in which you could sign or loan players in. 
    Clearly we decided Souare is a better option than anyone we could get on loan, whether it’s down to ability and/or value for money.
    Cheap basically. Fine but let's not beat around the bush. There's a high risk he's a bust and not worth having due to his injury 2 years ago. 
  • I think when fully fit, this could be a great signing. One that's gone under the radar but may well prove to be a very shrewd piece of business. If he starts playing, as soon as fit, and lives up to his pre-accident form we will have an attacking left back, and if we get promoted he will be able to hold his own in the Championship, if he cant get that form back he only has a years contract and will be gone at end of the season, conversely if he plays well but we don't get promoted we could sell him on for a profit! 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    We seem to be confusing having anyone at a position rather than having quality at a position. Let’s see what happens.
    Would have been helpful if there had just been a window in which you could sign or loan players in. 
    Clearly we decided Souare is a better option than anyone we could get on loan, whether it’s down to ability and/or value for money.
    Cheap basically. Fine but let's not beat around the bush. There's a high risk he's a bust and not worth having due to his injury 2 years ago. 
    What's his salary?
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Any free agent would be a risk, they'd be out of contract for some reason. In fact loanees are just as risky as the chances are you end up with an older player potentially past his prime or a young inconsistent prospect, neither being ideal.

• Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yeh, I don't see what's not to like with this.
    He has proven PL pedigree, albeit there are question marks regarding post accident mental and physical recovery.
    Hence he gets a cheapo 1 year deal with League 1 side.
    I'm going to assume it will be Purrington's shirt to lose when he is fit but Pape could be an inspired wildcard, like one or 2 of our other recruits.
    At the very least we have proper cover
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Are you ever happy with anything?  Ever? At all? 
    Summer window outside of LB was very good. Glad they realised the early signings were not up to promotion standard and rectified the mistake, albeit a little late in the day. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Sco has it, as per usual. We were looking for a backup LB and we got one. 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Would you pay first team wages for a left back who will be cover, unless he really impresses? If we wanted a first choice it would been a higher priority.

I think NA rates Purrington more than most and get the impression he wants full backs who are solid defensively, rather than naturally very attacking but inconsistent like Maatsen. One reason is perhaps having more freedom to use attacking wingers on each side.
    I wouldn't really say there's any proof of that due to how late he came in and the focus on the next season. Purrington was going to be his player and Maatsen wasn't. 

Anyway, lets hope it pays off, Purrington comes back soon and doesn't get injured again. 
  • I don't think there's any doubt that given the choice between Maatsen and Purrington this season, Adkins would have preferred Maatsen. I think Souare has been signed to be first choice
  • I think when fully fit, this could be a great signing. One that's gone under the radar but may well prove to be a very shrewd piece of business. If he starts playing, as soon as fit, and lives up to his pre-accident form we will have an attacking left back, and if we get promoted he will be able to hold his own in the Championship, if he cant get that form back he only has a years contract and will be gone at end of the season, conversely if he plays well but we don't get promoted we could sell him on for a profit! 
    I think you've jumped ahead about 20 steps there!

His accident was 5 years ago, virtually to the day, that's a long time ago, so whatever level of form he's now reached is almost certainly his new plateau.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Leuth said:
    I don't think there's any doubt that given the choice between Maatsen and Purrington this season, Adkins would have preferred Maatsen. I think Souare has been signed to be first choice
    i seem to recall adkins played purrington at left back rather than maatsen last year 
    Only one of the two were going to be 'his' player next season. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Leuth said:
    I don't think there's any doubt that given the choice between Maatsen and Purrington this season, Adkins would have preferred Maatsen. I think Souare has been signed to be first choice
    i seem to recall adkins played purrington at left back rather than maatsen last year 
    At first. By the end Maatsen had the position back. And he's a year older now. And we're looking to dominate games. And we know we were in for him again, except he's gone to the Championship. There's no sensible argument that Purrington would be preferred this season; last season, when young Maatsen had a blip, there was an argument
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    His injury was in 2016. He was playing regularly for Troyes until Covid closed down the French League

You moaned about Ged Roddy stopping a LB coming in order to fast track his son but now you're moaning we went for a cheap option.  We're a league one club, all our signings are cheap options.

He might be a huge flop but so might be Lee, Arter, Lavelle, Leko, Dobson, Clare, Henderson or Kirk.  That's football, every signing is a risk.
    What happened last season then? 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Would you pay first team wages for a left back who will be cover, unless he really impresses? If we wanted a first choice it would been a higher priority.

I think NA rates Purrington more than most and get the impression he wants full backs who are solid defensively, rather than naturally very attacking but inconsistent like Maatsen. One reason is perhaps having more freedom to use attacking wingers on each side.
    I wouldn't really say there's any proof of that due to how late he came in and the focus on the next season. Purrington was going to be his player and Maatsen wasn't. 

Anyway, lets hope it pays off, Purrington comes back soon and doesn't get injured again. 
    It’s only a guess based on the limited time he’s managed the club, I agree there isn’t any proof. However I feel if he really needed a different style full back it would be have been a high priority as it would be key to his style of play. There’s probably a lot quick young Prem full backs available for loan out there, it’s the style most of them are at that level.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    His injury was in 2016. He was playing regularly for Troyes until Covid closed down the French League

You moaned about Ged Roddy stopping a LB coming in order to fast track his son but now you're moaning we went for a cheap option.  We're a league one club, all our signings are cheap options.

He might be a huge flop but so might be Lee, Arter, Lavelle, Leko, Dobson, Clare, Henderson or Kirk.  That's football, every signing is a risk.
    Troyes had a big-money takeover and Souare chose to stay put during a national lockdown?
  • I believe BP form improved under Adkins. 

This is just a solid signing which will encourage good competition for the left back spot.

It can only be viewed as positive IMO. 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

I don't know but his car crash was in 2016
  • edited September 2021
    Leuth said:
    It’s a huge doubt given Purrington won his place and kept it for the rest of the season (other than a game and a half at the very end), while Maatsen spent some time on the wing. 

It’s clear with say Stockley and Davison who’s first choice, I’d say it’s not so defined for both sets of full backs.

Longer term for me it’s an area we need to invest in to improve with more pace and attacking threat. Probably wasn’t so much a concern in this league where finding a player who offers that and is also strong and reliable defensively is going to be difficult.
  • Leuth said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Leuth said:
    At first. By the end Maatsen had the position back. And he's a year older now. And we're looking to dominate games. And we know we were in for him again, except he's gone to the Championship. There's no sensible argument that Purrington would be preferred this season; last season, when young Maatsen had a blip, there was an argument
    no brainer he would go to a championship club rather than a league 1 one either  
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    I doubt he's comparatively cheap.