Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Corey Blackett-Taylor - (p34 - signed for Derby on loan til the end of the season)

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I’m liking the Tranmere fans on Twitter: 

Those comments encourage you? Sounds like an absolute nightmare! 

This is fine as a squad option, provided there are more senior/established signings to come. If this is it for the window, or anywhere close to it, then we’re in trouble. 
  • Options
    Get behind him, 100%.

It's not his fault that his signing shows a complete lack of ambition. 
  • Options
    Good player. Excited to see him play. 
  • Options
    now we're looking for a club that does BOGOF deals 
  • Options
    Didn't think this would be the kind of signing we would be making TBH...wreaks of desperation
  • Options
    It’s not a bad deal when you consider it as a standalone agreement.  We need cover for Kirk and DJ and he may turn out to be decent, and the 6 months incentivizes him.  If it doesn’t, no pressure on us to renew 

Like others, I still think we need bigger impact players.  Whether or not that happens now I’m not sure 

Got a feeling additions are going to be in a similar mould to Blackett Taylor for whatever positions we feel.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I've watched this window from afar up until now, I know a lot of people are unhappy with our business however I'm prepared to wait unti the window shuts to judge either way as there's still time left to improve what we've got, and it's probably a bit to early to judge anyone we've brought in just yet.

However I must say I'm a little perplexed at this deal, not necessarily the signing of the player himself as I've never seen him so he could be a star for all I know. But a short term deal doesn't really inspire confidence that we think he's all that otherwise surely we'd be committing to something of at least a year. 

On the flip side if he ends up starting really well then surely we'll just end up competing with other clubs for his signature in January. January is always a tough window so if there's a player on a free that's had a good half-season then there'll be loads of teams competing for his signature and we'll end up either losing him to another club for nothing or paying over the odds to sign him up again to a longer term deal.

I get the point about it potentially being used as a motivator however I think if these kinds of deals worked then they'd be used far more frequently, I can't think of many players or clubs who have signed on a short term deal such as this at the start of a season and I suspect that's probably for a good reason. It almost feels like we are trying to be clever and reinvent the wheel whereas surely a one year deal would have suited everyone and allowed everyone to assess the state of play at the end of the season.

However good luck to him and fingers crossed it ends up being a good signing.
  • Options
    any reason why he was realesed from a l2 club?
  • Options
    What it shows is we don't know if he can perform at this level.....not the player we should be signing....should be going after proven L1 or Champ players who can exceed at this level....
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Read the thread
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Because he refused the contract that was offered the same way we released Taylor, Amos, Aneke, Aribo, Sarr, BFG and countless others 
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Feel better after reading Gallens comments, hopefully we get a player with a point to prove! 
    I felt more depressed on reading Gallen.
    If we were really lucky to get him why did he have to pay his own fare to get here ?

Why if we are so mega lucky to get him was he only offered a six month deal ?
    Have you ever not paid your own travel costs to a job interview?

a deal up until Christmas might work for the player as well. He might have a young family settled in the north west and wants to see if they can settle here before signing a longer deal
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Welcome Corey, hope it works out here (not that there's any chance of you reading this)
  • Options
    Never heard of him  , but we are lacking pace up front so he could be worth a punt .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wish him well and hope he has a successful time with our club. 
    But this type of signing is a depressing reminder of where we play our football nowadays and what our ambitions really are. If we are signing players that pay their own train fare just to get a trial we ain’t building squad that’s going to take this third division by storm. He’s 23, been around football from a very young age. If he doesn’t know what commitment is needed by now to be a professional footballer this could be his last contract as one.
    I hope I’m wrong and I really don’t want him to fail but I think he’s making the numbers up in our thin squad.   
  • Options
    No brainer gives the lad 6 months to prove he's worth a longer contract and the club 6 months to see if he's worth a longer contract
  • Options
    desperate time so any signing is welcome a extra body, especially as our bench is so weak, not the pedigree we all wanted but lets see, 4 month deal cant hurt, a wild card signing, now we need some sure thing ones
  • Options
    Crying out for some pace. Seems like it a cheap risk to take for next 5 months.
  • Options
    I will say this, last season we had two wingers and ended up playing a left back and Washington there.  This season we started with 1 plus Washington.

Now we have 3 and one is obviously 3rd choice. If there is any evidence at all that he is better or on a par with DJ and Kirk he will get a longer contract PDQ.   If he isn't we will go again in January, it's not a big deal. 
  • Options
    I've watched this window from afar up until now, I know a lot of people are unhappy with our business however I'm prepared to wait unti the window shuts to judge either way as there's still time left to improve what we've got, and it's probably a bit to early to judge anyone we've brought in just yet.

However I must say I'm a little perplexed at this deal, not necessarily the signing of the player himself as I've never seen him so he could be a star for all I know. But a short term deal doesn't really inspire confidence that we think he's all that otherwise surely we'd be committing to something of at least a year. 

On the flip side if he ends up starting really well then surely we'll just end up competing with other clubs for his signature in January. January is always a tough window so if there's a player on a free that's had a good half-season then there'll be loads of teams competing for his signature and we'll end up either losing him to another club for nothing or paying over the odds to sign him up again to a longer term deal.

I get the point about it potentially being used as a motivator however I think if these kinds of deals worked then they'd be used far more frequently, I can't think of many players or clubs who have signed on a short term deal such as this at the start of a season and I suspect that's probably for a good reason. It almost feels like we are trying to be clever and reinvent the wheel whereas surely a one year deal would have suited everyone and allowed everyone to assess the state of play at the end of the season.

However good luck to him and fingers crossed it ends up being a good signing.
    Agreed, short term deals like this are usually reserved for signing an older or injured player where there are doubts about their fitness

Contract lengths are a gamble. I'm a bit sceptical that short term deals motivate players more, as when the deal is running down, players may be saving themselves for their next move anyway
  • Options
    People saying other clubs might come in for him at the next window if he does well have seen the terms of his contract then? I mean we hear about players exercising options to extend what about if the club has that option? I haven’t seen his contract either, just putting it out there. 
  • Options
    He'll come on and score a 2nd half winner tomorrow.
  • Options
    He'll come on and score a 2nd half winner tomorrow.
    If he does I’ll happily donate a tenner to the upbeats.