Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlie Kirk (p56 - left by mutual consent)

Comments

• Someone who works for me played all the way through the youth teams with Kirk until he got a career ending knee injury whilst playing. He has told me that kirk is a fantastic player but his head drops when things are not going well. By the sounds of it he will perform better when things turn around and I dont think he would react well to fans getting at him
  • yes Kirk hasn't lived up to expectations, but cut him some slack.

Gunter behind him at LB and our other midfielders have offered him absolutely nothing
  • So far, so so-so. At best.

It’s a footballer, Jim, but not as we know it. 
  • After reading some of the comments here of “poor recruitment” and “faulty product”, I’m possibly in the minority, but I have a lot of time for Kirk. 

It’s very early days in to a 4-year contract. Personally, think he deserves some patience, and I’m well aware that due to our poor start to the season that’s more to ask for than usual with a new young player. 
    He cost 500k. If it was your money you would not be so generous with your money. 
    You’re wrong. If I spent £500k on something, I wouldn’t give up on it after a few weeks, just because it didn’t immediately reach my high expectations. I’d stick by it and believe that then investment was worth it in the long term (hence a 4 year contract).
    👍
  • Leko should have straight in that lineup and Kirk/DJ battle for the left spot. 
  • yes Kirk hasn't lived up to expectations, but cut him some slack.

Gunter behind him at LB and our other midfielders have offered him absolutely nothing
    He has failed to cover Gunter and was appalling on Saturday at tracking back - that was allowing Cheltenham all the space they needed. Has Adkins told him and DJ they don't need to cover?
  • Others have said that he played most effectively at Crewe with a supporting LB.
    If we don't intend to provide a similar set up and he isn't used to playing to a different system, it will take time for him to learn some new tricks.
    We are paying the price for a lack of a decent pre-season for the squad as a unit...
  • Sponsored links:

• Nice to see that attitude from him. Interesting that he says that he turned us down in January...

I always thought it was the bogus Agent that messed things up
  • edited September 2021
    In addition this was an interesting quote:

Nigel Adkins just said pretty much: ‘Do what you’ve been doing most of your career. I will never tell you not to try things or stand in your way of wanting to play how you want to play’.

I assume and hope that he means to a degree, because I want Kirk to develop by learning from his team mates and manager and one thing he could do with learning is to track back.
  • edited September 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    In addition this was an interesting quote:

Nigel Adkins just said pretty much: ‘Do what you’ve been doing most of your career. I will never tell you not to try things or stand in your way of wanting to play how you want to play’.

I assume and hope that he means to a degree, because I want Kirk to develop by learning from his team mates and manager and one thing he could do with learning is to track back.
    Perhaps Adkins meant that Kirk had been signed for his ability and creativity, and that he wasn't going to try and turn him into a water carrier.

• Seems a sound lad. I really hope this move works out well. 
  • edited September 2021
    Did any of you guys see Kirk kicked in the pre match warm up by Jason  Pearce lat Saturday.

Not making excuses (yes you are Sam) for Charlie but it seemed it worried him for at least 5 minutes as he kept rubbing his ankle.
    Jason said sorry and gave him a pat.

Because Kirk was given a 4 year contract and the way guys ITK spoke about him on CL it hardly surprising we have been underwhelmed(CL cliche) so far.

Bereavements are difficult to quantify how much it affects players as Nathan Acke was inspired when scoring his first Champions League goal as his father sadly passed away.

My fears all along was the later we got players in, the longer it would take to have cohesion in the team for Cafc.

Ipswich went for Midfielders and Forwards early and now their defence is rubbish !

Once Charlton sort out their defence, midfield and forwards we will be fine   :#

• Some people writing him off after only 4 league appearances is ridiculous, especially when the whole team is playing shit.

Give him some time at least. If he's not doing it by Dec/Jan then i'd be concerned but not right now. 
    Doesn't matter what level you're playing at - if the team's struggling and other players off form, you're going to struggle too.
    You would need ability way above the level to impose yourself otherwise.

• I didn't see that but sounds like typical Pearce. 
  • Sponsored links:

• How do we manage to sign a player for what is a decent amount of money at this level, who has clearly performed well at this level........then bin him off after 4 games?

The guy needs games to play himself into form, not be sat in the fucking stand after a grand total of 246 minutes, and when he started in our only league win of the season.
    As much as I blame Adkins almost exclusively for our league position, this highlights the disconnect between the transfer committee and him.  If Kirk was an Adkins signing, surely he’d at least be on the bench and being used in games like the last two of NA wanted him 
  • wmcf123 said:
    How do we manage to sign a player for what is a decent amount of money at this level, who has clearly performed well at this level........then bin him off after 4 games?

The guy needs games to play himself into form, not be sat in the fucking stand after a grand total of 246 minutes, and when he started in our only league win of the season.
    As much as I blame Adkins almost exclusively for our league position, this highlights the disconnect between the transfer committee and him.  If Kirk was an Adkins signing, surely he’d at least be on the bench and being used in games like the last two of NA wanted him 
    Then who do you leave out? I don’t think it’s a case of some players being signings Adkins didn’t want. For me it’s as simple as we have depth at the moment and some players have to be left out. We’re not used to that because we usually lack depth and have several injuries.

Kirk and DJ didn’t put enough effort in against Cheltenham so they were dropped. Leko and CBT have come in and are playing well.

I’d expect one of Kirk or DJ back in the squad as Leko is now injured.
  • Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:
    How do we manage to sign a player for what is a decent amount of money at this level, who has clearly performed well at this level........then bin him off after 4 games?

Then who do you leave out? I don’t think it’s a case of some players being signings Adkins didn’t want. For me it’s as simple as we have depth at the moment and some players have to be left out. We’re not used to that because we usually lack depth and have several injuries.

Kirk and DJ didn’t put enough effort in against Cheltenham so they were dropped. Leko and CBT have come in and are playing well.

Surely one of them should be on the bench when you start with two wide players ? What if it’s going really well and one of them gets injured.  I understand why he isn’t starting -he was woeful against Cheltenham. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:

Surely one of them should be on the bench when you start with two wide players ? What if it’s going really well and one of them gets injured.  I understand why he isn’t starting -he was woeful against Cheltenham. 
    I’d have one on there but it means dropping someone on what was quite a balanced bench. We had Pearce and Gunter covering CB and FB, Arter DM, Gilbey AM then Washington and Stockley as two types of striker.
  • So Charlie, how's the big move going?
  • Smacks of a recruitment team and management team not being aligned on what is needed