Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p56 - left by mutual consent)

Comments

• Options
    Obviously I don’t know him but common sense suggests he doesn’t want to be here, I agree he’ll likely go to Blackpool towards the end of the window. 
  • Options
    Got a feeling this will be one of those deals which will be completed on the final day of the window, after Blackpool finally sell someone to raise the money.
    If Jackson was still here I would agree

But New manager, new formation, new Ideas

I for one would love to see Kirk given Pre Season.

If we can get the player Crewe had then that could be a key part to promotion, someone whipping balls in to Stockley 

• Options
    Fully expecting him to replicate the pre-season we saw with Cristian Ceballos

Came back to us and did really well, albeit, out in Ireland

Then got moved out to STVV so we never actually saw him play for us again
  • Options
    Obviously I don’t know him but common sense suggests he doesn’t want to be here, I agree he’ll likely go to Blackpool towards the end of the window. 
    If he is going to leave then best he goes asap. I'd prefer him to stay but if he's going it's no point us making him do a pre-season & feature in our plans only to sell him on aug 31st. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Kirk was completely underwhelming, of that there is little doubt.

The upside is that for a new manager, Kirk is potentially an easy/quick win.  If Kirk starts to deliver, the new manager gets to demonstrate ability, making a difference.  If Kirk continues to flounder, the new manager won't be faulted.  If I'm the new gaffer I'd be tempted to give Kirk another try
    Not if C B-T is available  for the same position. 
    Well, Kirk can  still step in after CB-T has done his hammy.

And that's the problem, isn't it.  Two totally different players that happen to play in the same position.  You can't swap them in and out and not change anything else. 
    That's how it should be, I don't understand why it's a problem. Swapping like for like in each position just makes you boring, predictable and easy to defend/plan against. Swapping one LW for a different type of player is perfect. 
    You do but not when the same situation is replicated through the rest of the team.  You need variation to react, adapt, counter etc but not at the expense of having no like for likes.  

You need a plan A, a B preferably a C but you shouldn't have to rip it up and start again every time someone gets a knock, a suspension or one player out of form.

Even with the squad cap you should have enough players for two for every position and a couple of wild cards.
  • Options
    I think he is absolutely hopeless, he cant beat a man, has no pace, always cuts inside and cant defend. 
    It’s like playing with 10 men when he plays - hope that clears this up 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I still expect Blackpool to come back in for him, it's a negotiating tactic, and one they've used before:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59982904

I suspect he'll go for an undisclosed fee, which will be a bit of a discount on the previously agreed figure.  They're in a better negotiating position than us.
  • Options
    It's in our interest to bring him to Spain and get him playing well, as either we'll integrate him into our team or we'll create interest in him elsewhere, so that Blackpool have to pay a sensible fee
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like to see Kirk get a 2nd chance under the new manager
    Sometimes moves just don't work out. I have a feeling Kirk's move to us falls into this category. Far better for him and us to go our separate ways.
  • Options
    I still expect Blackpool to come back in for him, it's a negotiating tactic, and one they've used before:

I suspect he'll go for an undisclosed fee, which will be a bit of a discount on the previously agreed figure.  They're in a better negotiating position than us.
    Are they? 

Here’s the fee you agreed, he did well with you and you still want him, bugger off if you don’t want to pay it.
  • Options
    I think he is absolutely hopeless, he cant beat a man, has no pace, always cuts inside and cant defend. 
    He must have fluked all those assists at Crewe then.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

Are they? 

Here’s the fee you agreed, he did well with you and you still want him, bugger off if you don’t want to pay it.
    They know we don't want him.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

Are they? 

They know we don't want him.
    and nobody else seems that interested either.
  • Options
    he must be good, MS's black box said so
  • Options
    I've certainly been critical of Martin and his role, but I don't think he was around to be blamed for last summer. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Kirk was completely underwhelming, of that there is little doubt.

The upside is that for a new manager, Kirk is potentially an easy/quick win.  If Kirk starts to deliver, the new manager gets to demonstrate ability, making a difference.  If Kirk continues to flounder, the new manager won't be faulted.  If I'm the new gaffer I'd be tempted to give Kirk another try
    Not if C B-T is available  for the same position. 
    Well, Kirk can  still step in after CB-T has done his hammy.

And that's the problem, isn't it.  Two totally different players that happen to play in the same position.  You can't swap them in and out and not change anything else. 
    That's how it should be, I don't understand why it's a problem. Swapping like for like in each position just makes you boring, predictable and easy to defend/plan against. Swapping one LW for a different type of player is perfect. 
    You do but not when the same situation is replicated through the rest of the team.  You need variation to react, adapt, counter etc but not at the expense of having no like for likes.  

You need a plan A, a B preferably a C but you shouldn't have to rip it up and start again every time someone gets a knock, a suspension or one player out of form.

Even with the squad cap you should have enough players for two for every position and a couple of wild cards.
    I do agree, you do need like for like to an extent. But in a position like LW, realistically you're only going to have 4 wingers, I don't see harm in Kirk and CBT competing for that spot despite the difference in the way they play. Ultimately, we want a left-back capable of getting forward, even if that's way more suited to Kirk than CBT. I think we'd have seen a different Kirk with someone like Maatsen behind him that's for sure. 

If you look at Man City, they have a range of different players but they wouldn't massively change their style if they were to swap out Sterling for Grealish which is the Kirk/CBT in our scenario (of course I appreciate the massive difference in class but they have similarities in style). Whichever one of them played you'd see the same Cancelo or Zinchenko behind. Naturally we'd need to change the way they play a bit and we might have a striker suited to one of them but not the other. 
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    But he didn’t do it for us Vincenzo……that’s all that matters mate! 😕
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yawn 🥱 
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    He only played 8 games for us! Is that all the chance we give a young lad before writing him off now?
  • Options
    It's in our interest to bring him to Spain and get him playing well, as either we'll integrate him into our team or we'll create interest in him elsewhere, so that Blackpool have to pay a sensible fee
    I think we should leave him in England, that can save Sandgaard 2k and he can give that to the new manager as a signing on fee.
  • Options
    I am for trying him again...however I still don't  understand why left wingers can't go by fullbacks on the outside. Sadly Kirk doesn't and is too one footed. Admittedly I have only seen him play 5 or 6 times and at Crewe he relied on support of a fullback now at Blackburn. 

A left winger who is right footed like Charlie will hardly ever go past a Right back on the outside.

This is why CBT is special for Cafc because he is two footed and can go past defenders on the outside or inside on either flank and also had that great run down the middle against Portsmouth away, ( I think it was Pompey ?) when it would have been goal of the season.
  • Options
    I've certainly been critical of Martin and his role, but I don't think he was around to be blamed for last summer. 
    I believe he was involved, however according to Gallen we missed him the January before, so certainly then before MS was involved. 
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Vincenzo said:
    He only played 8 games for us! Is that all the chance we give a young lad before writing him off now?
    V he was never completely comfortable being down south he never settled and from the word go didn’t give the club or his own situation a chance.
    He very soon wanted away and felt he had made a mistake.
    Exactly what those reasons were I don’t know but I was made aware of that quite early on after he joined us…..let’s just say home sickness in a young person can be a very serious condition.
    That he would welcome coming back would surprise me….nothing is impossible I suppose but I suspect he has little or no wish to do so, unless his personal circumstances and mindset have changed that is.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I just don't see where he gets in.  We do not have the players to play in a 433 and that's the only system in which he can play.  
    Most of this talk about formation is balls missing the point by a wider margin than Albie usually manages.
    Kirk is allegedly an attacking midfielder who himself claims to be able to play all across the pitch.
    Whatever formation Adkins played Kirk failed to contribute to any discernible level.  Energy, adaptability and drive were all missing.
    Kirk didn't start many games at Blackpool, we didn't see his tangerine "performances" to be able to assess why.
    Lack of ability, lack of effort, homesickness, all three together; they all add up to the same thing - inadequate on match day.
    If a manager gets a good look at him in pre-season they'll be able to take a punt on including him until Christmas, or not.
    If CK's head is already turned, there's no decision to make.  Offload to the earliest half way reasonable offer and both parties can move on.
    FWIW I think he's a sunk cost and any reduction in outgoings will be a bonus.  If I were Blackpool's manager and thought CK was the second coming of Stanley Matthews I'd still spin the sandgaards a load of old bullshit to try and get the price down from what I'd supposedly agreed, cos CAFC's position here is weak.
    We'll see worse in red at The Valley, ideally not often and hopefully we'll see loads better than CK but any of that hangs on the manager/head-coach/whatever post being filled pronto, until then all else is pointless guff.  
  • Options
    I'm really struggling to understand why people think our bargaining position is weak. He has multiple years under contract with us, it's not like its January and his contract runs out in summer or anything - if Blackpool want to renege on the option to buy at the price agreed then fuck em, see if the new manager fancies him, if not, loan him out for another year and basically tell him, if you want a move here's your chance to earn it. If he does well enough he could even up his stock with a decent season under his belt even if not necessarily with us.

I don't really buy into the whole "homesick for the north" thing either - are people telling me if Chelsea or Spurs came in for him he'd turn it down because of home sickness? Not on your nelly..