Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sean Clare - signed for Wigan on a 3 year deal (p30)

Comments

• Options
    @Sage what kind of centre mid would you reckon we need? We now have Dobson, Watson, Clare, Gilbey, Morgan and JFC when he's back from injury. That's six players to fill three central spots. Is a 7th centre mid necessary?

Would it be better to find a player who can play the 10 role but also slot into the wide areas if necessary? Feels like wingers have to be the priority now in my mind.
    We need a creative midfielder who pulls the strings and chips in with 8 - 10 goals. We currently don’t have one. Without a playmaker I can’t see where enough goals are coming from. None of our current midfielders are prolific enough for a promotion team. 
    In the last 9 games of last season Gilbey scored 3 and got an assist.  That's about 15 goals a season. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    @Sage what kind of centre mid would you reckon we need? We now have Dobson, Watson, Clare, Gilbey, Morgan and JFC when he's back from injury. That's six players to fill three central spots. Is a 7th centre mid necessary?

Would it be better to find a player who can play the 10 role but also slot into the wide areas if necessary? Feels like wingers have to be the priority now in my mind.
    We need a creative midfielder who pulls the strings and chips in with 8 - 10 goals. We currently don’t have one. Without a playmaker I can’t see where enough goals are coming from. None of our current midfielders are prolific enough for a promotion team. 
    In the last 9 games of last season Gilbey scored 3 and got an assist.  That's about 15 goals a season. 
    Problem with a short example of nine games is that it can throw up an aberration. I’m also not sure we’ll see very much of Gilbey until late September at best. The poor man has been quite ill and it’s quite likely to have knocked the granny out of him for a bit. I think he’s going to be a key player for us this season but he’s never been prolific. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Neither was Jackson until he played for us. I can see goals in Gilbey if he plays that same role throughout the season.

What we need to add are more goals from elsewhere in midfield, an alternative to Stockley
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Good stat.
  • Options
    Oxford are our 2nd league game so should be a good target for him to show he's not a RB. I saw that interview when he signed for them, it was just odd. "So, you've been brought in as an attacking right back, what is your best position?"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    The changing transfer market is a brilliant point. How much would someone like a Dale Stephens be in today's market? Wouldn't be £350k that we paid for him , probably be in the millions. 
    and that's the type of midfielder I think we're missing at the moment, someone who can pick and a pace and keep the team ticking
    Absolutely agree , that's exactly what we need in the middle of the park. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    The changing transfer market is a brilliant point. How much would someone like a Dale Stephens be in today's market? Wouldn't be £350k that we paid for him , probably be in the millions. 
    and that's the type of midfielder I think we're missing at the moment, someone who can pick a pass and keep the team ticking
    I see Albie as this type of midfielder? Think we do need another option with Jake being out for so long though. 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Rothko said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    and that's the type of midfielder I think we're missing at the moment, someone who can pick a pass and keep the team ticking
    I see Albie as this type of midfielder? Think we do need another option with Jake being out for so long though. 
    It's that "keeping play ticking" aspect he needs to just improve on. A huge season for him that could define whether he makes it as a solid Championship player or one lingering around L1/2 for the upcoming years. 
  • Options
    Having watched the video I now remember him from last season due to his birth mark.

I though he was a dirty bastard hard working combative player who was effective against us. 
    Yes, but now he's our dirty bastard hard working combative player!
  • Options
    I expect we'll probably get one more midfielder on loan, can't see us signing another one on a perm personally. We'll most likely need that money to go to other positions to secure the players we want/need 
  • Options

Interesting background. Alongside Stockley, Washington and a few others, we have players who can give a decent post match interview now. Just a shame Scottie won't be there to hear we was the better team.

“I went to college. This was Year 11 in England, I was 16, 17 and I did my GCSE’s and from there I went to ‘football colleges’, you could say.

“I went to one in Walthamstow called Rushcroft, another one in Essex called Shenfield.

“I did a BTEC in Sport and Biology and did that as well as playing football.

“I went to the Nike Academy a bit early, which wasn’t educational in a sense but that almost came as a second thing because I had already applied to university.

“So when I got in I knew I wasn’t going to university!

“I applied to Loughborough, Brunel and Bath. Loughborough was a conditional offer, Brunel said they’d have me and I can’t remember if Bath ever got back to me.

• Options
    Ferryman said:
    He looks good, don’t think much of his teammates.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I think Powell's recruitment leading up to the title win was so good, it is unfair to compare anything with it. 
  • Options
    BFG94 said:
    Happy happy enough with this signing and I'm sure there will be more to come. Roll on the 7th.
    Wow, as soon as I read that I got massive butterflies. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I think Powell's recruitment leading up to the title win was so good, it is unfair to compare anything with it. 
    Not to mention the points tally they got.

In the last 20-years only three other teams have been promoted from League One with 100-points or more.

Powell's team have the second highest points haul in the entire history of this Division!!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Having watched the video I now remember him from last season due to his birth mark.

I though he was a dirty bastard hard working combative player who was effective against us. 
    Yes, but now he's our dirty bastard hard working combative player!
    We never have dirty players, just combatives one : - )
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Yep, and David "ere, 'ere, 'ere" Young marshalled and captained Theo's players to promotion that season under Andy Nelson.
    That's your challenge Sean.
  • Options

Once Gilbey got back into the side under Adkins, he scored three goals in nine appearances. I’d back him to get to ten this upcoming season.
  • Options
    So his description made him sound very much like a CDM, however EVERY video of him suggests he's a CAM. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    So his description made him sound very much like a CDM, however EVERY video of him suggests he's a CAM. 
    He is what used to be quite common a CM. 
  • Options
    I noticed on Sean's Instagram account, he's changed his profile name from SeanClare8 to SeanClare10. Guessing he's going to be given the no 10 then
    Strange shirt number for a right back 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Clare also says he can play every role in midfield.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Clare also says he can play every role in midfield.
    I think I'll just call him a CM!