Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sean Clare - signed for Wigan on a 3 year deal (p30)

Comments

• Looks great. If he was one of their priorities then I absolutely 'trust the system' and am sure he will do well. We needed to get younger, more dynamic, and start to build assets; this seems like another step in that process.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    You can bang on about Powell's summer all summer but let's be honest in in 2011 we finished 13th in league 1.

We only had 4 players left that played any meaningful part of the next season.  Fast foward 10 years and if you include the players that have resigned we already had 10 or 11 good but not great league 1 players.

We are only probably 3 or 4 players short of Powell's best team.  We didn't need the Hayes, Hughes, Evina, Euall, Taylor, Alonso, Sullivan type signings.  We have already made the Court, Hamer, Hollands signings.

Stephens, Yann, Green and Wiggins, probably Morrison type ones are still to come.

Anyone that counts Bover, Smith and Pope can give their head a wobble. 
    Why didn't we need Hayes, Taylor or Hughes? Not sure I agree with that. 

Also think you're being very optimistic about the Stephens, Yann and Morrison signings to come. Doubt we will sign a CB or Striker to be first choice. 
  • edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    You can bang on about Powell's summer all summer but let's be honest in in 2011 we finished 13th in league 1.

We only had 4 players left that played any meaningful part of the next season.  Fast foward 10 years and if you include the players that have resigned we already had 10 or 11 good but not great league 1 players.

We are only probably 3 or 4 players short of Powell's best team.  We didn't need the Hayes, Hughes, Evina, Euall, Taylor, Alonso, Sullivan type signings.  We have already made the Court, Hamer, Hollands signings.

Stephens, Yann, Green and Wiggins, probably Morrison type ones are still to come.

I don't agree we're only 3 or 4 players away.

We need another CB, another LB, 1 or 2 CMs, 2 wingers at the very least:

MacGillivray
    AMB

Matthews, Inniss, Famewo, Purrington
    Gunter, NEED, Pearce, NEED

Dobson
    Watson

Clare, Morgan
    NEED, Gilbey (ill at the moment).
    JFC (inj)

Jaiyesimi, Stockley, NEED
    NEED, Schwarz, Washington.

Realistically in a 50-odd game season I'd say we should be looking at 5 CBs not including JFC or the 2 DMs, maybe a versatile CB/CM to cover Inniss (injury prone), Pearce and Watson (old), and probably another forward if NA wants to go 442, doesn't rate Schwarz etc.

That's about 7 or 8 more.

I can see us doing that too, there's 2.5 weeks until the season starts and a 6 weeks until the window closes, could be say 3-4 permanently before the first and 3-4 loans near the end of the window when other clubs sort their squads.
  • Oh, and know nothing about Clare but he seems dynamic and can carry the ball, so that’s more than what we’ve had before. Let’s hope we use him properly and he has a great career at the club. He certainly seems hungry for it.
  • Sage said:
    Not quite sure why people have digged out @DamoNorthStand a little. He is also right about Evina. He won Oldham’s young player of the year before we signed him.

The summer of Powell we were very fortunate. We signed the best players in the league in a number of positions and we had two very key members of the team already at the club, Jackson and Wright-Phillips. I don’t believe we have that this season so any comparison is going to be way off.

The quality of signings so far is very difficult to judge and would be unfair to judge too. We haven’t even started the season yet, we haven’t played as a complete team.

Lots and lots of work still to do. My main concern is replacing Aneke and Millar with two very good players, because that is what we need.

Another keeper, centre back, and left back are not really priorities right now. We need the attacking areas stronger, a lot stronger than what they are right now.
    I appreciate where you're coming from but we do need a couple at the back - given Inniss's injury issues, we could easily be Purrington picking up a knock away from a defence of Gunter, Famewo, Pearce, Matthews.

We just also need a couple in midfield, a couple on the wings....
  • Sage said:
    Not quite sure why people have digged out @DamoNorthStand a little. He is also right about Evina. He won Oldham’s young player of the year before we signed him.

The summer of Powell we were very fortunate. We signed the best players in the league in a number of positions and we had two very key members of the team already at the club, Jackson and Wright-Phillips. I don’t believe we have that this season so any comparison is going to be way off.

The quality of signings so far is very difficult to judge and would be unfair to judge too. We haven’t even started the season yet, we haven’t played as a complete team.

Lots and lots of work still to do. My main concern is replacing Aneke and Millar with two very good players, because that is what we need.

Another keeper, centre back, and left back are not really priorities right now. We need the attacking areas stronger, a lot stronger than what they are right now.
    I appreciate where you're coming from but we do need a couple at the back - given Inniss's injury issues, we could easily be Purrington picking up a knock away from a defence of Gunter, Famewo, Pearce, Matthews.

Think one more in midfield will do it now, we've got 6 including JFC. 
  • edited July 2021
    like this signing....young, athletic, likes a tackle.
  • Sage said:

I think the salient point is that attackers should now take priority in the recruitment teams allocated time and budget. 

It would be nice to have some other options in those areas, but right now our attacking options are extremely thin. Without some real good investment up top (that doesn’t mean spend millions) we’ll struggle to score enough goals to win individual games, let alone leagues. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:

I think the salient point is that attackers should now take priority in the recruitment teams allocated time and budget. 

It would be nice to have some other options in those areas, but right now our attacking options are extremely thin. Without some real good investment up top (that doesn’t mean spend millions) we’ll struggle to score enough goals to win individual games, let alone leagues. 
    Agreed, but I'm very confident that Adkins & Co fully recognise the need for at least a winger very soon. 
  • Sage said:

I’ve said on another thread we need a left back, centre back, 2 centre mids (1 now), 2 wingers, and a striker.

The fact is, we have players in defensive positions that can step in if needed until we sign a left back and centre back. We don’t have players that can step in if Washington, DJ and Stockley were unavailable. It’s the attacking areas where we need to strengthen as a priority. Defensive positions will be filled.

Of course, we cannot control the order they come in, you just have to go with the one which is closest to being complete. But you can focus on getting in specific positions more than others due to the need of the squad.
  • edited July 2021
    @Sage what kind of centre mid would you reckon we need? We now have Dobson, Watson, Clare, Gilbey, Morgan and JFC when he's back from injury. That's six players to fill three central spots. Is a 7th centre mid necessary?

Would it be better to find a player who can play the 10 role but also slot into the wide areas if necessary? Feels like wingers have to be the priority now in my mind.
  • I thought he looked good against us last season, covered a lot of ground and closed us down and was involved breaking forwards too. My sort of midfielder 

• Sage said:

Agreed, but I'm very confident that Adkins & Co fully recognise the need for at least a winger very soon. 
    Yeah I think so too, I’ve got full faith in the manager and staff. Really interested to see who we end up with.
  • @Sage what kind of centre mid would you reckon we need? We now have Dobson, Watson, Clare, Gilbey, Morgan and JFC when he's back from injury. That's six players to fill three central spots. Is a 7th centre mid necessary?

Would it be better to find a player who can play the 10 role but also slot into the wide areas if necessary? Feels like wingers have to be the priority now in my mind.
    Don’t think we can rely on JFC, he may not return all season.
    That would be unusual. He should be fit (not match fit but able to run) by December, apparently. Unless there’s a major setback, he should be back for February. 

• @Sage what kind of centre mid would you reckon we need? We now have Dobson, Watson, Clare, Gilbey, Morgan and JFC when he's back from injury. That's six players to fill three central spots. Is a 7th centre mid necessary?

Don’t think we can rely on JFC, he may not return all season.
    I agree, I think we should do a squad to get us to the next window where we can re-assess. Hopefully JFC is well on the way to recovery by then, but still think we need 6 CM's to get us there. Then if he does come back in Jan, we have the option of offloading one if they haven't impressed. 
  • "relentless Ryan" is a funny nickname for someone called Sean Clare.
  • "relentless Ryan" is a funny nickname for someone called Sean Clare.
    Relentless Sean it is then! 
  • Sponsored links:

• I noticed on Sean's Instagram account, he's changed his profile name from SeanClare8 to SeanClare10. Guessing he's going to be given the no 10 then
  • Cafc43v3r said:

MacGillivray
    AMB

Dobson
    Watson

Clare, Morgan
    JFC (inj)

Realistically in a 50-odd game season I'd say we should be looking at 5 CBs not including JFC or the 2 DMs, maybe a versatile CB/CM to cover Inniss (injury prone), Pearce and Watson (old), and probably another forward if NA wants to go 442, doesn't rate Schwarz etc.

I can see us doing that too, there's 2.5 weeks until the season starts and a 6 weeks until the window closes, could be say 3-4 permanently before the first and 3-4 loans near the end of the window when other clubs sort their squads.
    I'm sure we'll sign at least 4 more, but i can't see us signing 7-8. Remember they want to start integrating some of the younger players so i'd guess the likes of Barker, Elerewe, Henry, Clayden and potentially Davison will make up the rest of the squad.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

MacGillivray
    AMB

Dobson
    Watson

Clare, Morgan
    JFC (inj)

I'm sure we'll sign at least 4 more, but i can't see us signing 7-8. Remember they want to start integrating some of the younger players so i'd guess the likes of Barker, Elerewe, Henry, Clayden and potentially Davison will make up the rest of the squad.
    I agree ,seen enough of the younger lads to know they are capable of filling in for odd games,maybe we should concentrate our budget on getting that extra special addition( e.g.Yann) which could make all the difference.
  • CAFCsayer said:
    ------------------Mcgivallry
    Matthews - Inniss - Famewo - NEW
    ---------------Dobson - Clare
    NEW ------------ NEW ----------------DJ
    -------------------Stockley

We desperately need a creative midfielder
    Albie Morgan 

We need a creative midfielder who pulls the strings and chips in with 8 - 10 goals. We currently don’t have one. Without a playmaker I can’t see where enough goals are coming from. None of our current midfielders are prolific enough for a promotion team. 

We need a creative midfielder who pulls the strings and chips in with 8 - 10 goals. We currently don’t have one. Without a playmaker I can’t see where enough goals are coming from. None of our current midfielders are prolific enough for a promotion team. 
    I don't disagree - but they are as rare as rocking horse shit (or very expensive).
  • Happy happy enough with this signing and I'm sure there will be more to come. Roll on the 7th.