Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sean Clare - signed for Wigan on a 3 year deal (p30)

Comments

• wmcf123 said:
    Dobson and Clare to me are first teamers but not automatic picks
    Who will be ahead of them. We sure won’t be bringing in two more players in those roles ?
    I'd be surprised if we played 2 workhorses in midfield every game, with the likes of Morgan and Gilbey fighting over one place
    What’s Gilbey if he isn’t a work horse ? 
    If Gilbey is in the same category of player, the same applies that I don't consider Dobson and Clare to be automatically ahead of him if we play 2 in the engine room
  • edited July 2021
    thenewbie said:
    Are Clare and Dobson both first team starters? Do they have the quality we need - or are they more back up's to our first choice? I dont know enough about them to answer that.

I think back to the Powell promotion season which is what I guess we were all hoping to replicate in approach.... buying the best players from league 1.

Havent a clue if these are the best players in league 1 - or how they compare to someone like Fraser who went to Ipswich?

Then again - look how many games Pritchard played in our promotion season and he came from non league!
    Dobson and Clare seem to be indicative of a slightly different approach. Where Wigan are "doing a Powell" and pillaging players from bigger teams and direct competitors, these are two players who seem to have been stand outs at clubs that otherwise struggled.*

I would presume the logic is that if they can look good in a poor team, they will therefore turn out to be really rather tasty in a team of better quality. 

* I suddenly realise this also applies to Stockley, except that the struggling team in question was us!! 😏
    I don’t think what we’re doing is very different to what Powell did at all. We took players from Bournemouth, Oldham, Exeter and Dagenham, and cast offs from Preston, Reading, Wednesday, Scunthorpe and Leicester. The only team who were really a direct competitor was Weds and they couldn’t wait to get rid of Morrison. With the possible exception of Bournemouth, who were still a year away from properly starting up as a force, we didn’t actually take any bigger teams’ players off them that they wanted to keep 
    I think that we are a world away from the level of player we signed under Powell. Hollands and Wiggins were two of the most in demand players at league 1 level and had championship clubs looking at them. Kermorgant came from the Championship. Taylor was deemed a legend at Exeter. Evina was Oldhams best player - well other than Dale Stephens who we also signed after a cameo for the team who came second. Green had half the league chasing after him. 

What I would say is that the likes of Famewo and Stockley (who were here last year) compare favourably to what we had the season before.

But Powell wasnt signing players that Oxford aren't up in arms about losing. He would have signed Oxfords star player.
  • No overly excited then Damo!!, pissed on everyone’s chips a bit there mate!!😂
  • Perhaps Oxford fans didn't see the best of him as Robinson played him out of position?
  • edited July 2021
    Evina was Oldhams best player

You lost me there mate tbh. 
  • Perhaps Oxford fans didn't see the best of him as Robinson played him out of position?
    If Robinson signed Ronaldo he would probably play him at left back.
    Clueless Scouse prick.
    If Robinson signed Ronaldo he would probably play him at left back.
    Clueless Scouse prick.
    But would he play Shinnie there ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Seems that Burton played him as one of two holding midfielders in a 4-2-3-1, and as said Robinson tried to turn him into a right back.

Interesting signing, like Dobson he's young but experienced at this level and has a point to prove to his former club and manager.

Two year deals for both might suggest they weren't first choice on our list and need to do well here to earn a longer deal.

Looking forward to several more coming in, especially the attacking signings. Really important we get those right to give us players who can score and create.
    Very much this. I think our quality of signing will/needs to be of a good/better level than we currently have. I think we’ve been patient in the market for a reason and that’s not to sign players who aren’t as good as what we already have.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Dobson and Clare to me are first teamers but not automatic picks
    Who will be ahead of them. We sure won’t be bringing in two more players in those roles ?
    I'd be surprised if we played 2 workhorses in midfield every game, with the likes of Morgan and Gilbey fighting over one place
    What’s Gilbey if he isn’t a work horse ? 
    If Gilbey is in the same category of player, the same applies that I don't consider Dobson and Clare to be automatically ahead of him if we play 2 in the engine room
    Gilbey is sick with Covid. We may not see him for months
  • edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

Erm he was. They had him on loan from Arsenal and fans couldn’t believe they got him permanently.
    So the best ... outside of Dale Stephens who we also signed. As I stated in my post.
  • LoOkOuT said:
    Presumably his agent.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Erm he was. They had him on loan from Arsenal and fans couldn’t believe they got him permanently.
    So the best ... outside of Dale Stephens who we also signed. As I stated in my post.
    Chris Taylor who got a championship move?  The goal keeper they had on loan from Man United :p

Anyway its irrelevant because signing Evina had no impact on us getting promoted at all. 

• Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    LoOkOuT said:
    Sports Management Consultant & FA Registered Intermediary | Founder of @cassiussports

If Cassius Sports are his Agency it looks like Morgan Fox is one of its Clients as well

https://www.cassiussports.co.uk/about-us/
  • ross1 said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    ------------------Mcgivallry
    Matthews - Inniss - Famewo - NEW
    ---------------Dobson - Clare
    NEW ------------ NEW ----------------DJ
    -------------------Stockley

We desperately need a creative midfielder
    Gilbey?
    I like gilby, but unless you play a diamond (and dj misses out) you can't play those 3 together, nowhere near enough creativity 
  • Oxford have just won their pre season friendly against Hayes & Yeading by nine goals to nil. Wonder what KR will say about Clare post match.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    RedChaser said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Hang on... Undisclosed fee... Do we do those?
    Around 350,000
    100,000 ish according to Oxford fans, 350,000 according to "the other forum" 🤷‍♂️
    Unless someone at the signing was the source an undisclosed fee is just that 🤷‍♂️. People don’t just make stuff up for some street cred do the they 🙄.
    People never read something on one forum and post it as ITK on another either ;-) 
    Then forget which forum they posted on :smile:

I'll be honest and say I'd never heard of Clare before today.
    But the clips of him look promising and one of the things we needed.
    A tall midfielder, with loads of energy, a good tackle and an eye for goal.
    He looks like a good signing to me.
  • Jac_52 said:
    Happy with this.

Now that our right back slot is sorted hopefully we can sign a midfielder.
    He is a midfielder.
    I believe the term is "Whoosh" or something along those lines?
  • thenewbie said:
    Are Clare and Dobson both first team starters? Do they have the quality we need - or are they more back up's to our first choice? I dont know enough about them to answer that.

I think back to the Powell promotion season which is what I guess we were all hoping to replicate in approach.... buying the best players from league 1.

Havent a clue if these are the best players in league 1 - or how they compare to someone like Fraser who went to Ipswich?

Then again - look how many games Pritchard played in our promotion season and he came from non league!
    Dobson and Clare seem to be indicative of a slightly different approach. Where Wigan are "doing a Powell" and pillaging players from bigger teams and direct competitors, these are two players who seem to have been stand outs at clubs that otherwise struggled.*

I would presume the logic is that if they can look good in a poor team, they will therefore turn out to be really rather tasty in a team of better quality. 

* I suddenly realise this also applies to Stockley, except that the struggling team in question was us!! 😏
    I don’t think what we’re doing is very different to what Powell did at all. We took players from Bournemouth, Oldham, Exeter and Dagenham, and cast offs from Preston, Reading, Wednesday, Scunthorpe and Leicester. The only team who were really a direct competitor was Weds and they couldn’t wait to get rid of Morrison. With the possible exception of Bournemouth, who were still a year away from properly starting up as a force, we didn’t actually take any bigger teams’ players off them that they wanted to keep 
    I think that we are a world away from the level of player we signed under Powell. Hollands and Wiggins were two of the most in demand players at league 1 level and had championship clubs looking at them. Kermorgant came from the Championship. Taylor was deemed a legend at Exeter. Evina was Oldhams best player - well other than Dale Stephens who we also signed after a cameo for the team who came second. Green had half the league chasing after him. 

What I would say is that the likes of Famewo and Stockley (who were here last year) compare favourably to what we had the season before.

But Powell wasnt signing players that Oxford aren't up in arms about losing. He would have signed Oxfords star player.
    Agree with most of what you say about Powell's signings, but not sure our signings aren't there as well. Clare was apparently in demand by most of the projected top 6, McG was Pompey's best player, Stockley and Famewo you've mentioned. Just leaves Dobson... but given the standard of the others and what I saw against Dartford I'm inclined to believe we're getting this right. We are short going forwards though, but am excited about who is to come, especially if it's Edwards (sceptical that's true, though)
  • Well chuffed with this signing.! 👌🔴⚪️
  • I know the Youtube video should generally be ignored but it excited me. Pace and physical presence is something I really wanted in one of our CM's and he looks to fit the bill. A slightly more creative CM capable of chipping in with a few is last one for me now. 
  • edited July 2021
    You can bang on about Powell's summer all summer but let's be honest in in 2011 we finished 13th in league 1.

We only had 4 players left that played any meaningful part of the next season.  Fast foward 10 years and if you include the players that have resigned we already had 10 or 11 good but not great league 1 players.

We are only probably 3 or 4 players short of Powell's best team.  We didn't need the Hayes, Hughes, Evina, Euall, Taylor, Alonso, Sullivan type signings.  We have already made the Court, Hamer, Hollands signings.

Stephens, Yann, Green and Wiggins, probably Morrison type ones are still to come.

Anyone that counts Bover, Smith and Pope can give their head a wobble.