Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sean Clare - signed for Wigan on a 3 year deal (p30)

Comments

• Options
    Dobson and Clare to me are first teamers but not automatic picks
    Who will be ahead of them. We sure won’t be bringing in two more players in those roles ?
  • Options
    like the look of this signing in the same way I liked the look of the Innis signing - no idea why, just a gut feeling

(just hope he's got a better injury record!)
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Living in Scotland, the last live match I went to was Hearts vs Airdrie. Washington and Clare both started and Clare scored a brilliant volley. That's all I know about him 😂 

https://youtu.be/IGUsKsymC7M

No doubt Connor was asked his opinion on Sean and if he’d fit in with the squad. It’s not always what you know but who you know 😉.
  • Options
    Well I did not see this one coming.
  • Options
    Dobson and Clare together is a huge upgrade on Watson and Pratley together. 
    You and me would be a huge upgrade on those 2 together. 
  • Options
    We must be approaching the point now where even the sceptics among us can see that we will be starting this season stronger than last
  • Options
    Let’s not be too hasty mate 😉.
  • Options
    Hang on... Undisclosed fee... Do we do those?
    Around 350,000
    100,000 ish according to Oxford fans, 350,000 according to "the other forum" 🤷‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Let’s not be too hasty mate 😉.
    Alright then, Just me. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Couldn’t agree more.  It was a big reason the football was so turgid last year.  It’s also psychological, for me anyway.  I wasn’t looking forward to seeing a team potentially made up of a lot of the players that started the season last year, bar Stockley, Inniss and Famewo.  I appreciate the likes of Watson and Pearce are back ups, but we lack the strength in depth.  Back ups can very quickly become regulars with injuries etc.  I’m also not so hot on Gilbey and Purrington, so would like to see better options than them if possible. 

You never know if new signings are going to work out, but there’s something exciting for me about bringing in new faces, even if some of them don’t work out 

I quite like Gilbey. Bit of an underwhelming season last year due to injuries but think he will be a good player for us especially with a more dynamic midfield around him. Purrington though is indeed a bit limited and we definitely need to bring in a LB but he was promoted with us a couple years back from this league so can certainly do a job.

Personally think we'll bring in 2 more permanent signings (hopefully a winger and a LB) and then supplement the rest with loans and youth.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Around 350,000
    100,000 ish according to Oxford fans, 350,000 according to "the other forum" 🤷‍♂️
    Unless someone at the signing was the source an undisclosed fee is just that 🤷‍♂️. People don’t just make stuff up for some street cred do they 🙄.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    cabbles said:
    Couldn’t agree more.  It was a big reason the football was so turgid last year.  It’s also psychological, for me anyway.  I wasn’t looking forward to seeing a team potentially made up of a lot of the players that started the season last year, bar Stockley, Inniss and Famewo.  I appreciate the likes of Watson and Pearce are back ups, but we lack the strength in depth.  Back ups can very quickly become regulars with injuries etc.  I’m also not so hot on Gilbey and Purrington, so would like to see better options than them if possible. 

You never know if new signings are going to work out, but there’s something exciting for me about bringing in new faces, even if some of them don’t work out 

I quite like Gilbey. Bit of an underwhelming season last year due to injuries but think he will be a good player for us especially with a more dynamic midfield around him. Purrington though is indeed a bit limited and we definitely need to bring in a LB but he was promoted with us a couple years back from this league so can certainly do a job.

Personally think we'll bring in 2 more permanent signings (hopefully a winger and a LB) and then supplement the rest with loans and youth.
    I like Gilbey too but I am concerned that after his bout of Covid it might take some weeks for him to get up to speed. He might not even be available for selection until September. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I'll tell you after a dozen or so games in a Charlton shirt if he's any good, but he feels like the right sort of signing. Mobile and energetic, bit of height to him. Should go a long way to helping us play with more intensity next season. Decent experience, but also a good age with time to improve.

Welcome back Sean.
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    ------------------Mcgivallry
    Matthews - Inniss - Famewo - NEW
    ---------------Dobson - Clare
    NEW ------------ NEW ----------------DJ
    -------------------Stockley

We desperately need a creative midfielder
                      Mcgivallry
    Matthews Inniss Famewo Purrington
             Clare   Dobson Gilbey  
              NEW   Stockley   DJ

Is how I'm expecting to see us. I'd be surprised if we signed another centre midfielder, maybe a backup or a decent loan.

Expecting to see a very good winger to complete the 11.
    I still think we have 5/6 players to come so think this team will change a lot in the next few weeks. 
    I think you're being very optimistic if you think we're going to sign 5 players that are better than what we have in the next few weeks.

We'll sign 5 but I expect 3 or 4 of them to be backups (GK, LB, ST, CB).
  • Options
    Decent replacement for Pratley
  • Options
    Who will be ahead of them. We sure won’t be bringing in two more players in those roles ?
    I'd be surprised if we played 2 workhorses in midfield every game, with the likes of Morgan and Gilbey fighting over one place
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd be surprised if we played 2 workhorses in midfield every game, with the likes of Morgan and Gilbey fighting over one place
    What’s Gilbey if he isn’t a work horse ? 
  • Options
    Around 350,000
    I read that Robinson was hoping to get back what they paid for him 2 years ago......which he said he thought was around £100k. 
  • Options
    Right back????

Looks like a number 9 all day from those clips.
    Looking at those clips he wore both the no 8 & no 9 shirt at Hearts. 
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    CAFCsayer said:

Mcgivallry
             Clare   Dobson Gilbey  
              NEW   Stockley   DJ

Is how I'm expecting to see us. I'd be surprised if we signed another centre midfielder, maybe a backup or a decent loan.

I still think we have 5/6 players to come so think this team will change a lot in the next few weeks. 
    I think you're being very optimistic if you think we're going to sign 5 players that are better than what we have in the next few weeks.

I think it’ll be 5/6 & 3/4 will be first teamers. Personally think we need that to really challenge. We’ll see I guess. 
  • Options
    Welcome back too cafc.
  • Options
    Floebot said:
    But I thought Ronnie...
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    mart77 said:
    CAFCsayer said:

Mcgivallry
             Clare   Dobson Gilbey  
              NEW   Stockley   DJ

I think it’ll be 5/6 & 3/4 will be first teamers. Personally think we need that to really challenge. We’ll see I guess. 
    I doubt many will come in purely as back up.

I expect we'll see an attacking left back to give us an alternative to Purrington, and it'll be down to both players to fight for their place.

We can't rely on Inniss staying fit or an academy playing covering for him, so I'm sure we'll see a decent CB come in to challenge Inniss.

One if not two wingers is a must, and between them, DJ and Washington (and perhaps Clayden) no one will be an automatic first choice without earning it.

We need an alternative to Stockley and possibly a GK so AMB can go on loan. I'd say those are the two positions where signings are likely to be cover.
  • Options
    I saw him play a couple of times when I was working at Gillingham and he was on loan there from Sheffield Wednesday. He was very impressive - highly confident dribbling with the ball at his feet and could move through the gears carrying it up the pitch. I think they were pretty gutted they couldn’t keep him on loan beyond January that season.

I’ve always kept my eye out for his name since then as I thought he’d naturally move through the leagues with his ability - I’m not sure Hearts was the right move for him. Somewhat similar to Aribo in that regard? (although Aribo has won silverware and played in Europe so fair play to him)