Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mason Burstow - progress at Chelsea (p47)

Comments

• Options
    A word of caution if I may. There are many like Mason who looked equally as good to me in the under 23s, who the club thought would make it. I'm thinking Azeez, Sho Silva, Hanlon and Umerah.

Let's just see how he goes. Same with Kanu and Gavin. This time last year Aaron Henry was the coming man and his progress appears to have stalled. 
    Very fair point. You could even use Morgan as an example of someone who has maybe not reached the heights hoped for, and he actually is part of the squad. 

That said, all the while signs are promising let's HOPE Burstow really is a big deal without letting that become expectation. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    If Burstow has a career like Hanlon, that will be a fantastic success. Umerah was the one I was pinning my hopes on a few years back…
  • Options
    A word of caution if I may. There are many like Mason who looked equally as good to me in the under 23s, who the club thought would make it. I'm thinking Azeez, Sho Silva, Hanlon and Umerah.

Let's just see how he goes. Same with Kanu and Gavin. This time last year Aaron Henry was the coming man and his progress appears to have stalled. 
    I don’t watch u-23 or u-18 football but has Henry stalled or is it that we have a bigger first team squad which means he can develop in his age groups rather than be played in the first team?
  • Options

I don’t watch u-23 or u-18 football but has Henry stalled or is it that we have a bigger first team squad which means he can develop in his age groups rather than be played in the first team?
    I believe with Aaron Henry it is currently about transition.
    Which might or might not be successful.
    Aaron has been used to being the main man, and expected to be the one to make it all happen, now he is advancing to an older more developed level he has to appreciate the 'sherpa' aspect of his team contribution, and maybe realise that sometimes less is more.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
     Scoham said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Good chance he'll make his full debut in the pizza cup I reckon. Would be good to see him get some proper minutes out there. But, however good he his, doesn't stop a proven striker being our top priority in January... we still only have 2 established front men. 
    Hopefully he gives JJ something to think about by then. I don’t see the point in bringing in another striker unless they’re a clear step up from Washington.
    Err, what if Washington gets injured? 
    If there’s good value out there and a player who will definitely improve us (like when we brought in BWP) then that’s a signing worth making.

What we don’t need is a 10 goal a season League 1 striker on a 2/3 year contract when we have two young players who have the potential to be far better than that.

Why block Davison and Burstow’s progress by signing an average striker when they’ve scored a decent number of goals between them?
    Don’t wanna block burstows progress if he’s good enough, no idea about him and hope he’s shit hot and the next Grant. But for the
    moment, assuming he isn’t.

Davison is a trier but clearly not good enough which I think we’ve seen across an extended period now. He’s definitely a substantial step down from Washington as an overall package in my opinion. Your point was that you don’t want a striker in unless they’re a significant improvement on Washington - obviously I would love that too but on if that’s not realistic it’s essential we sign another striker who is on a par with Washington because Davison just isn’t, and if Washington and/or stockley get injured and we’re lining up with Davison and then an unknown kid on the bench and hoping to be climbing up and troubling the top 6 , for me that ain’t gonna happen. 

We just about got away without a proper 2nd striker when we had Taylor in the play off season, and that was only cos Taylor was so exceptionally good (way above stockley or Washington) - and when he was suspended after that red card we went on an awful run with our makeshift attack. 

Point being - in my view we 100% need a 3rd good quality league one striker. It isn’t and wont be Davison, if it’s Burstow brilliant. Otherwise it’s a signing. 
    What extended period are you judging Davison on? Forget everything before this season, he’s a now a far better player. He’s shown he’s a threat since August by scoring 4 goals despite not having a run of starts and most of that being under Adkins management.

Put him in place of Washington in a full strength team and he’ll score goals. I didn’t need to see the game yesterday to know a midfield of Morgan, Kirk and Arter is a significant downgrade compared to Dobson, Gilbey and Lee - the latter has far more mobility, energy and creativity. It must be far easier to play in a team like that where you’ll get more touches of the ball and can rely on them and the wing backs getting good passes and crosses into the box.

Washington’s strengths are his work rate and movement, the gap between him and Davison isn’t that big.
    Really don’t agree with this. He scored 6 goals in 30 games in the conference/ league two just last season so I’m not sure what merits the suggestion he’s somehow transformed into some ruthless animal this season… but it’s not really his goalscoring I’m worried about - he’s got a couple of scrappy goals this season as you say and he evidently works hard, but to be honest anyone not completely shit can score a handful at this level if you’ve got some half decent players around you. See Paul Benson - who he reminds me of a bit actually. I’d like him to come good but I’ve seen enough of him this season and his all round game just isn’t good enough IMO. Washington is no Taylor for sure but for me the gap between him and Davison is more than material enough to justify replacing him in the squad.
    He’s clearly improved since/due to those loan spells. He’s far more physical than Benson, both stronger and quicker. Combined with the effort he puts in and getting into goalscoring positions that makes him a dangerous player at this level.

I’m not saying he’s completely transformed but the way he’s improved and his age suggests he has room to get even better. He’s still only 22. I’d hate to see us let him go while he’s developing his all round game and replace him with another Washington type who we know isn’t up to the Championship.
    I love the "he's still only 22".

At that age he should be a regular in a 1st team somewhere. I see a "youngster" being someone under 20. Then again I was brought up with players like Bowyer & Konch who played 1st team football aged 16. And you still don't see them as exceptions rather than rules.
  • Options
    I’ll be honest I don’t want our players to peak at being good in league one 
    I want players heading towards smashing up league one because they’re championship minimum .
    Too many bang average league one  players at best  drifting through Charlton hence we’re gonna be in our 9th season in league one in 14 seasons next season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
     Scoham said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Good chance he'll make his full debut in the pizza cup I reckon. Would be good to see him get some proper minutes out there. But, however good he his, doesn't stop a proven striker being our top priority in January... we still only have 2 established front men. 
    Hopefully he gives JJ something to think about by then. I don’t see the point in bringing in another striker unless they’re a clear step up from Washington.
    If there’s good value out there and a player who will definitely improve us (like when we brought in BWP) then that’s a signing worth making.

What we don’t need is a 10 goal a season League 1 striker on a 2/3 year contract when we have two young players who have the potential to be far better than that.

Why block Davison and Burstow’s progress by signing an average striker when they’ve scored a decent number of goals between them?
    Don’t wanna block burstows progress if he’s good enough, no idea about him and hope he’s shit hot and the next Grant. But for the

Davison is a trier but clearly not good enough which I think we’ve seen across an extended period now. He’s definitely a substantial step down from Washington as an overall package in my opinion. Your point was that you don’t want a striker in unless they’re a significant improvement on Washington - obviously I would love that too but on if that’s not realistic it’s essential we sign another striker who is on a par with Washington because Davison just isn’t, and if Washington and/or stockley get injured and we’re lining up with Davison and then an unknown kid on the bench and hoping to be climbing up and troubling the top 6 , for me that ain’t gonna happen. 

We just about got away without a proper 2nd striker when we had Taylor in the play off season, and that was only cos Taylor was so exceptionally good (way above stockley or Washington) - and when he was suspended after that red card we went on an awful run with our makeshift attack. 

Point being - in my view we 100% need a 3rd good quality league one striker. It isn’t and wont be Davison, if it’s Burstow brilliant. Otherwise it’s a signing. 
    What extended period are you judging Davison on? Forget everything before this season, he’s a now a far better player. He’s shown he’s a threat since August by scoring 4 goals despite not having a run of starts and most of that being under Adkins management.

Put him in place of Washington in a full strength team and he’ll score goals. I didn’t need to see the game yesterday to know a midfield of Morgan, Kirk and Arter is a significant downgrade compared to Dobson, Gilbey and Lee - the latter has far more mobility, energy and creativity. It must be far easier to play in a team like that where you’ll get more touches of the ball and can rely on them and the wing backs getting good passes and crosses into the box.

Washington’s strengths are his work rate and movement, the gap between him and Davison isn’t that big.
    Really don’t agree with this. He scored 6 goals in 30 games in the conference/ league two just last season so I’m not sure what merits the suggestion he’s somehow transformed into some ruthless animal this season… but it’s not really his goalscoring I’m worried about - he’s got a couple of scrappy goals this season as you say and he evidently works hard, but to be honest anyone not completely shit can score a handful at this level if you’ve got some half decent players around you. See Paul Benson - who he reminds me of a bit actually. I’d like him to come good but I’ve seen enough of him this season and his all round game just isn’t good enough IMO. Washington is no Taylor for sure but for me the gap between him and Davison is more than material enough to justify replacing him in the squad.
    He was clearly a better option than Stockley for a time this season, despite Stockley being better in the air, and he’s had at least two efforts unluckily blocked on the line. Stockley’s had tap ins and a penalty to add to his tally, but has missed some easy headed chances in recent games. The big difference for me is that Stockley is invaluable defensively. 
    Neither is amazing, neither is awful. Hopefully Burstow will turn out to be better than both. 👍
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Haven't seen this lad play yet, but he sounds promising. Could say the keeper maybe should have saved it, but it was hit with real power. Shearer would always say "get it on target and work the keeper". Exactly what he did. Sometimes you earn a bit of luck by being direct and taking the chance on. Not stopping and looking for a cut back or lay off. You can see the lads brimming with confidence so just maybe with suspensions and injuries he'll grab his chance in the 1st team.
    I think he benefitted from the fact that he hit it close to the keeper, because the keeper had spread in anticipation of the shot. The pace of the shot was also key. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Haven't seen this lad play yet, but he sounds promising. Could say the keeper maybe should have saved it, but it was hit with real power. Shearer would always say "get it on target and work the keeper". Exactly what he did. Sometimes you earn a bit of luck by being direct and taking the chance on. Not stopping and looking for a cut back or lay off. You can see the lads brimming with confidence so just maybe with suspensions and injuries he'll grab his chance in the 1st team.
    I think he benefitted from the fact that he hit it close to the keeper, because the keeper had spread in anticipation of the shot. The pace of the shot was also key. 
    If you can hit the ball hard and low, instead of spongefooting it slowly towards the goal or sending it flying into row Z, that's a decent start
    Low, hard, and across the GK. Text book finish.
    Washington benefitted last game from a deflection in similar position. The GK had moved to his left anticipating the pass to Stockley, but if you don’t shoot you don’t score. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
     Scoham said:
    Jonniesta said:

He was clearly a better option than Stockley for a time this season, despite Stockley being better in the air, and he’s had at least two efforts unluckily blocked on the line. Stockley’s had tap ins and a penalty to add to his tally, but has missed some easy headed chances in recent games. The big difference for me is that Stockley is invaluable defensively. 
    Neither is amazing, neither is awful. Hopefully Burstow will turn out to be better than both. 👍
    Don’t really agree with that, and if it was briefly the case I think it was a management issue rather than a player ability point. Another hard working effort from Davison yesterday with some decent enough hold up but still looked a chugger to me. Hard game to judge him on in fairness in the circumstances though.

However, what you can clearly take from yesterday, and which was the original point of my post on this thread, is that if a better option than Washington isn’t possible for us in Jan then it WOULD definitely be worth us acquiring another on a par with him, because replacing a shattered Davison with a fish out of water CBT was not a great look!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought it was a decent cameo from him, didn’t look lost or out of place.
    Thought he was a little bit better in the air than Davison actually which surprised me - the "One of our own" chant made me smile though seeing he only signed for us last October from Maidstone.