Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mason Burstow - progress at Chelsea (p47)

Comments

• Goal machine!
  • He looked like the Brazilian Ronaldo bursting through the defence with pace & power and smashing it past the ‘keeper!
  • Scoham said:
    Stockley 10
    Davison 5
    Washington 3
    Burstow 2

Should always be on the look out for a good striker but I do feel these four are more capable than some realise. Twenty between them in twenty games and we’ve been playing Adkinsball until four games ago.

We’ve had a lot of non goalscoring strikers in the past. We’ve had a few better individuals but with good service there’s goals in this group of strikers.
    The caveat would be they scored nearly half of those v a League 2 side, a Non-League side and a youth team.
    True, but like I said Adkins has been manager for most of it. We’ve had more shots, got more on target and scored more per game since Jackson took over.
  • edited November 2021
    Burstow looks absolute class on the couple of glimpses I've seen of him. 
  • Good chance he'll make his full debut in the pizza cup I reckon. Would be good to see him get some proper minutes out there. But, however good he his, doesn't stop a proven striker being our top priority in January... we still only have 2 established front men. 
  • Jonniesta said:
    Good chance he'll make his full debut in the pizza cup I reckon. Would be good to see him get some proper minutes out there. But, however good he his, doesn't stop a proven striker being our top priority in January... we still only have 2 established front men. 
    Hopefully he gives JJ something to think about by then. I don’t see the point in bringing in another striker unless they’re a clear step up from Washington.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Good chance he'll make his full debut in the pizza cup I reckon. Would be good to see him get some proper minutes out there. But, however good he his, doesn't stop a proven striker being our top priority in January... we still only have 2 established front men. 
    Hopefully he gives JJ something to think about by then. I don’t see the point in bringing in another striker unless they’re a clear step up from Washington.
    Err, what if Washington gets injured? 
  • Scoham said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Davison comes in and we put other youth on the bench.
  • Scoham said:
    Jonniesta said:
    If we end up with a space in the squad then I would not object to another striker coming in as cover/competition but I wouldn't make it a priority over a centre back right now. 
  • well done Mason
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Davison comes in and we put other youth on the bench.
    That is not good enough IMO… and if stockley gets injured too🙈
  • Last player to score on debuts in two different competitions?
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Jonniesta said:
    If there’s good value out there and a player who will definitely improve us (like when we brought in BWP) then that’s a signing worth making.

What we don’t need is a 10 goal a season League 1 striker on a 2/3 year contract when we have two young players who have the potential to be far better than that.

Why block Davison and Burstow’s progress by signing an average striker when they’ve scored a decent number of goals between them?
    With Kanu waiting in the wings too. 

• Think he's been a bit lucky with the finish myself, was hit right at the goalies leg.

• Think he's been a bit lucky with the finish myself, was hit right at the goalies leg.

If you see where the defenders feet are he hit it hard and true in the only angle that was possible.

He loves the big stage and hopefully he can have a Charlton career and be part of our Journey along with Deji.
  • Scoham said:
     Scoham said:
    Jonniesta said:
    If there’s good value out there and a player who will definitely improve us (like when we brought in BWP) then that’s a signing worth making.

What we don’t need is a 10 goal a season League 1 striker on a 2/3 year contract when we have two young players who have the potential to be far better than that.

Why block Davison and Burstow’s progress by signing an average striker when they’ve scored a decent number of goals between them?
    Don’t wanna block burstows progress if he’s good enough, no idea about him and hope he’s shit hot and the next Grant. But for the
    moment, assuming he isn’t.

Davison is a trier but clearly not good enough which I think we’ve seen across an extended period now. He’s definitely a substantial step down from Washington as an overall package in my opinion. Your point was that you don’t want a striker in unless they’re a significant improvement on Washington - obviously I would love that too but on if that’s not realistic it’s essential we sign another striker who is on a par with Washington because Davison just isn’t, and if Washington and/or stockley get injured and we’re lining up with Davison and then an unknown kid on the bench and hoping to be climbing up and troubling the top 6 , for me that ain’t gonna happen. 

We just about got away without a proper 2nd striker when we had Taylor in the play off season, and that was only cos Taylor was so exceptionally good (way above stockley or Washington) - and when he was suspended after that red card we went on an awful run with our makeshift attack. 

Point being - in my view we 100% need a 3rd good quality league one striker. It isn’t and wont be Davison, if it’s Burstow brilliant. Otherwise it’s a signing. 
  • A better keeper may well have saved it but there was a lot of pace on the shot.

Have only seen some glimpses of him but the thing I do like about him, his first thought is to attack the penalty area and get a shot away.  That is a natural strikers instinct.  
  • He struck it well enough and on another day it hits the GK’s foot but then it’s always about small margins. Hugely important for the lads confidence and he’ll be chuffed. 
  • Scoham said:
     Scoham said:
    Jonniesta said:

Don’t wanna block burstows progress if he’s good enough, no idea about him and hope he’s shit hot and the next Grant. But for the
    moment, assuming he isn’t.

Davison is a trier but clearly not good enough which I think we’ve seen across an extended period now. He’s definitely a substantial step down from Washington as an overall package in my opinion. Your point was that you don’t want a striker in unless they’re a significant improvement on Washington - obviously I would love that too but on if that’s not realistic it’s essential we sign another striker who is on a par with Washington because Davison just isn’t, and if Washington and/or stockley get injured and we’re lining up with Davison and then an unknown kid on the bench and hoping to be climbing up and troubling the top 6 , for me that ain’t gonna happen. 

We just about got away without a proper 2nd striker when we had Taylor in the play off season, and that was only cos Taylor was so exceptionally good (way above stockley or Washington) - and when he was suspended after that red card we went on an awful run with our makeshift attack. 

Point being - in my view we 100% need a 3rd good quality league one striker. It isn’t and wont be Davison, if it’s Burstow brilliant. Otherwise it’s a signing. 
    Realistically though... this season we are bound for mid table. Not sure if it's worth bolstering the team in January unless it's someone for long term. If not, let's use Burstow and give him some experience. 
  • Last player to score on debuts in two different competitions?
    Mason Burstow.
    The quality of phrasing questions in Yorkshire is on a par with their ability to react to an investigation into racism.