Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    Similar pass accuracy to Pratley, though...
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Hah yeah but I'll take it. Beaten only by Watson (81.7%), Shinnie (81.4%) and Millar (80.2%) of our players last year.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Can't really remember him from the Wimbledon game but going by his stats he's a significant upgrade on Pratley and looks to be just what we have been needing in midfield.

These stats are Dobson: 29 games (4 as sub) Vs Pratley: 39 games (5 as sub)

20 more interceptions and 7 more tackles in 10 less games yes please.
    It's interesting, although AFC Wimbledon were on the backfoot in more of their games of course.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Chunes said:

Hah yeah but I'll take it. Beaten only by Watson (81.7%), Shinnie (81.4%) and Millar (80.2%) of our players last year.

Should also note it means Dobson was making 41.5 accurate passes per match (not adjusted for sub appearances), which is comfortably higher than our highest passers per match in Watson (33.5) and JFC (31). I'm very optimistic on this one. Hopefully we can sign another body or two in midfield with some ability on the ball to complement him.
  • Options
    I’m dreaming he’s going to be our new Mark Kinsella!
  • Options
    Loved to have seen what we all would have said about the kinsella signing if we’d had social media of today back then!
  • Options
    His interview is now up on Charlton TV.

He talks about wanting to prove a lot of people (namely Sunderland) wrong. That’s exactly the sort of character we want in a new recruit; young, hungry and a point to prove. 

I really like this signing, I have a feeling he’s going to be a fans favourite - something we severely lacked last season.
    Interview is here https://www.cafc.co.uk/valley-pass/video-player?widgets%5Bstream-amg%5D%5Bcontent_id%5D=0_6atsaolx
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Can't really remember him from the Wimbledon game but going by his stats he's a significant upgrade on Pratley and looks to be just what we have been needing in midfield.

It's interesting, although AFC Wimbledon were on the backfoot in more of their games of course.
    And Pratley played quite a few games at CB. Without actually watching someone play the stats don't mean that much. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    addickson said:
    Quote from NA on OS doesn't exactly inspire confidence in recruiting system this year "he has a reputation as a combative midfield player"...
    Why?
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

True and I guess we played Pratley at CB for quite a few games but it makes his passing stats in particular even more encouraging imo.

Means he can keep the ball pretty well in a team that might struggle to do so in a lot of games and more importantly, and what our midfield has sorely been lacking due to mobility issues, is that he can clearly find space and show for the ball. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:

And Pratley played quite a few games at CB. Without actually watching someone play the stats don't mean that much. 

No but they do at least point out that there is a high probability that Dobson will be far more effective than Pratley and Watson as a Defensive midfielder given he makes more tackles, interceptions and passes per game.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play for us anyway. Hope he settles in quickly and does well for us.

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Pratley's passing was accurate because he generally knocked it 5 yards sidewards or backwards.
    Yep. Passing completion percentage is the most useless stat in football
  • Options
    (except ARGUABLY at the absolute highest level, for certain specific positions) 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Pratley's passing was accurate because he generally knocked it 5 yards sidewards or backwards.
    Partly because everyone else was stood still like a game of statues. 

Hopefully Watson plays far less games next season but I think he will look better with different players around him.

It took us until about March to have anything like a consistent midfield and everyone looked worse for it.  Then the 3 of them got knackered.  I have no doubt the balance will be much better next season. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Dobson seems genuinely buzzing to sign for us. Really nice to see, think he'll be well up for it. 

The only positive for not being in the Championship is we can sign a lad from the freezing North east who didn't settle in Sunderland (yes the Pope is Catholic) who on all accounts was decent in League1 on loan at the Dons.
    Being at Cafc will be a step up for the lad and that is no disrespect to Wimbledon who have been a beacon of light in their phoenix from the Ashes story.

Joe Pigott would've told him about the positives about joining Cafc even though we are a different club since his long association with Charlton.
    Not sure the Pigott has too many good things to say about Charlton. 

I know his dad big 'Nod' Pigott was getting the hump driving up and down the motorways of England and Joe was always on the bench or on a few occasions not making the bench after traveling with the team.

I haven't seen Pigott senior since we beat Wimbledon 1-0 at the valley in the Naby red card match(Joe failed a fitness test)  Joe will definitely get an opportunity from at least half a dozen Championship teams.
  • Options
    Let's be honest Sunderland have been an absolute shit show for years now. Hundreds of players have passed through there leaving no impression whatsoever. A bit like us tbh! I like the sound of this lad. He must be able to play a bit having been at arsenal and west ham. Has dropped down the leagues and has plenty of games under his belt at only 23. Whats not to like?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    As long as he's an improvement on Watson  ( almost impossible not to  be  ) then he will improve the team.
  • Options
    Welcome George Dobson. If he shows as much energy and passion for the game as the AFC Wimbledon fans have spoken of him, he will be a young mobile step up on Pratley and Watson in my opinion.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    He has more key passes though so could be due to the fact he takes more risks
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Chunes said:

Yeah but Dobson passed forward, whereas Pratley just tried to pass to his other foot. 
  • Options
    We need a playmaker to go with Dobson, Morgan, Gilbey (who I do rate after seeing his form over a dozen games or so in the latter part of the season)but  will be very difficult to acquire a midfield general in the 3rd tier who can help us on our way to the top. We took a chance with Dale Stevens who was 22 and unknown in the big recruit under the England coach CP. We may have to take another chance on a youngster but this position may have to be a loanee similar to a Gallagher but obviously won't be so advanced or he wouldn't be allowed to drop down to the Third tier.
    As we have found with a team of Matt Smith's on loan from big clubs it's not easy to get the right person in.
  • Options
    As much as I will welcome George with open arms, I still yearn for the days of a "marquee" signing soon to be announced. And then that drip, drip, drip of Twitter clues culminating in the fanfare welcoming of someone like Omar Bogle for example.
  • Options
    We need a playmaker to go with Dobson, Morgan, Gilbey (who I do rate after seeing his form over a dozen games or so in the latter part of the season)but  will be very difficult to acquire a midfield general in the 3rd tier who can help us on our way to the top. We took a chance with Dale Stevens who was 22 and unknown in the big recruit under the England coach CP. We may have to take another chance on a youngster but this position may have to be a loanee similar to a Gallagher but obviously won't be so advanced or he wouldn't be allowed to drop down to the Third tier.
    As we have found with a team of Matt Smith's on loan from big clubs it's not easy to get the right person in.

Well we did manage to get Cullen and Bielik on loan at this level so it's not completely out of the question. Problem is we'll never have heard of them so won't know if they'll be a Smithii / Levitt or a Bielik / Cullen / Gallagher.