Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:

Is that our new CB with LL?
    No, LL is the new CB!
  • Options
    Next up perleese!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    DOUCHER said:

Bobby Bolder’s let himself go!
  • Options
    'Bobby Holder’s let himself go!'

do you mean Bobby Bolder or Noddy Holder?
  • Options
    Can’t be 100% certain of course but from that I conclude there has been no real interest in him. If a club like Charlton came calling then I’m sure his agent would be keen for something to happen and probably the player as well. That’s not bigging up Charlton up over FGR but thems the reality. 
  • Options
    Depends on the price.
  • Options
    Been whistling 'special brew' for the last 3 hours, just can't work out why. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Been whistling 'special brew' for the last 3 hours, just can't work out why. 
    Be careful. You could easily bust a blood vessel 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    rikofold said:
    This thread is unbelievable. The sense of entitlement is off the scale. Grown men spending another person's money and throwing keyboard tantrums left right and centre as the other person isn't throwing his money round in a manner which they deem acceptable.

This time last year we were on the brink. A very real possibility of going out of business. Sandergaard might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he is well in credit for effectively saving the club from going out of business.

He set his stall out very early on and made it clear he would be running things as a business. A business does not burn through a fuck ton of money that it potentially has no hope of recouping.

We all know the squad is thin, but the business we have done so far is good. There is no way we won't being additional players in before the window closes.

I wish people would stop with the I want it and I want it now bollocks. There are people on this thread who are like a fucking stuck record. Spouting the same shit over and over whilst launching toys round whatever room they are sitting in.

The sooner people accept that the club were just about at rock bottom and that unless you get a billionaire coming in with very deep pockets, coming back from that takes time, the better.
    You're right, of course you're right.

Only thing I'd observe that puts a slightly different perspective on things is that Sandgaard didn't come in quietly promising a slow build. We all know that getting established in the Premiership within 5 years is unlikely to begin with a poorer League One squad than missed out on promotion the  previous season.

Time will tell, but I'm not sure the frustration is that we're not spending millions but with what seems strikingly obvious: we're missing out on our target players because of financial constraints. 

I really wish he'd just talked about a long term plan, getting the foundations in place and getting us challenging in the Championship, than promising top end Premiership within 5 years - because no-one would have any unrealistic expectations on transfer spend. 

Tl:Dr - it was Sandgaard who said, I want it and I want it now. 

Who have we missed out on? 
  • Options
    I can’t see us signing Dion Charles, surprised Sunderland haven’t been in for him. As for the CB at FGR, he’s just signed a new deal so unlikely.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rikofold said:
    This thread is unbelievable. The sense of entitlement is off the scale. Grown men spending another person's money and throwing keyboard tantrums left right and centre as the other person isn't throwing his money round in a manner which they deem acceptable.

This time last year we were on the brink. A very real possibility of going out of business. Sandergaard might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he is well in credit for effectively saving the club from going out of business.

He set his stall out very early on and made it clear he would be running things as a business. A business does not burn through a fuck ton of money that it potentially has no hope of recouping.

We all know the squad is thin, but the business we have done so far is good. There is no way we won't being additional players in before the window closes.

I wish people would stop with the I want it and I want it now bollocks. There are people on this thread who are like a fucking stuck record. Spouting the same shit over and over whilst launching toys round whatever room they are sitting in.

The sooner people accept that the club were just about at rock bottom and that unless you get a billionaire coming in with very deep pockets, coming back from that takes time, the better.

Only thing I'd observe that puts a slightly different perspective on things is that Sandgaard didn't come in quietly promising a slow build. We all know that getting established in the Premiership within 5 years is unlikely to begin with a poorer League One squad than missed out on promotion the  previous season.

Time will tell, but I'm not sure the frustration is that we're not spending millions but with what seems strikingly obvious: we're missing out on our target players because of financial constraints. 

I really wish he'd just talked about a long term plan, getting the foundations in place and getting us challenging in the Championship, than promising top end Premiership within 5 years - because no-one would have any unrealistic expectations on transfer spend. 

In fairness the poster said it was obvious, which personally I don't quite agree on, but it's also fairly clear we're not splashing the cash. I think it's a good bet we'd have missed out on a few, Cawley hinted as much, but whether this was because our offer was poor or a Championship club simply won the battle I don't know. Sandgaard is probably going to be very disappointed if he thinks he can get to the Prem without spending a large amount of money though, I think he'll regret some of his ambition when we're miles away. 
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    I can’t see us signing Dion Charles, surprised Sunderland haven’t been in for him. As for the CB at FGR, he’s just signed a new deal so unlikely.
    The guy at FGR I'd doubt is unlikely to sign a deal he can't get out of by which I mean clauses where he can go if certain valuations are met.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rikofold said:

In fairness the poster said it was obvious, which personally I don't quite agree on, but it's also fairly clear we're not splashing the cash. I think it's a good bet we'd have missed out on a few, Cawley hinted as much, but whether this was because our offer was poor or a Championship club simply won the battle I don't know. Sandgaard is probably going to be very disappointed if he thinks he can get to the Prem without spending a large amount of money though, I think he'll regret some of his ambition when we're miles away. 
    I am pretty sure the only player Cawley mentioned we missed out on was Graham that went to Birmingham.  Obviously we tried to keep Chuks and Amos but I don't think any of those 3 are due to obvious financial constraints. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rikofold said:

I am pretty sure the only player Cawley mentioned we missed out on was Graham that went to Birmingham.  Obviously we tried to keep Chuks and Amos but I don't think any of those 3 are due to obvious financial constraints. 
    Possibly only name confirmed but he mentioned recruitment tough because of players we were in for. Lets be honest, if we have only missed out on one player than that's a shit show because we all knew how many needed months ago. I'm as certain as I can be we have lost out on certain targets, but agree its not necessarily down to finances. 
  • Options
    Adkins himself said we had missed out on players financially at the training day Q+A with Curbs I believe although can't recall the exact context and he didn't give anything else away (or who they were or who we missed out to).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What we reckon in all seriousness, Gomes in this week then a few weeks in the wilderness until the premier league names their 25?
  • Options
    What we reckon in all seriousness, Gomes in this week then a few weeks in the wilderness until the premier league names their 25?
    Pretty much how I see it. 

I think it’s going to be dead quiet until the final week of the window 
  • Options
    I wonder if we are restricted in our budget, due to the fact Roland has whacked up the cost of the rent on the valley and the training ground?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rikofold said:

Possibly only name confirmed but he mentioned recruitment tough because of players we were in for. Lets be honest, if we have only missed out on one player than that's a shit show because we all knew how many needed months ago. I'm as certain as I can be we have lost out on certain targets, but agree its not necessarily down to finances. 
    As I've said before, the fault, if it is a fault, was being over ambitious and thinking we could get players who ended up in the championship.

Now we're waiting on league 1 clubs to blink, and they are waiting for us to do the same.

Meanwhile, Gallen is probably badgering Chelsea, Arsenal, etc etc everyday to release the next Gallagher or Matt Smith.

I'm not criticising, naturally I'm happy that we're going for players of that quality. Just think it's wrong to believe we've only missed out on one player. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rikofold said:

There is a big difference at missing out and not having signed them yet.

If you look at the stats that show the net volume of player recruitment league 1 is somewhere in the region of 150 players short.  The whys have already been done to death.  I assume people think Sunderland's billionaire owner is getting out bid for players as well? 
    Well we'll agree to disagree then, I'd be absolutely astounded if we've only missed out on one player but I don't think it can be proved either way unless Adkins did indeed say it last week. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    well i've got nothing to add on the signings front and this isn't really going to help people fretting about a lack of signings but i can report that Lennie Lawrence came round my house yesterday - what a legend 

Lennie or you?
    Lennie of course :):smile: and i thanked him for all he did for us in keeping the club afloat and doing such a great job although i did say that the 3-0 defeat to millwall at selhurst was one of the worst days of my life - he apologised and also accepted it wouldn't have happened had i been pulling the strings in centre mid !!! - all joking aside, it was very interesting - he said there were too many cockneys in the team and he purposefully went out and signed northerners and scots and concentrated mainly on rebuilding the defence - also, he felt he had to go as he couldn't keep selling, selling, selling to fund the valley return - 3rd in my list of all time charlton great managers 
    This is what plays on my mind , Lennie without doubt is a Charlton god and he knew more than most our precarious financial situation and need to get back to The Valley (and yes of course he was a Middlesbrough employee by then and that’s where his loyalties were at) so why the fuck did he low ball us with shit bids for Robert Lee , it just leaves a sour taste for me and he fucked himself up 
    How dare you speak of the great man like that.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rikofold said:

Unexpected downside of keeping tight-lipped about targets. You're less likely to get gazumped, which is really a total justification for it, but while your signings come with very little lead up, it also means that there's so little out there in the conversation that people start making up links in their head based on players they like. We've missed out on Scott Fraser, Joe Pigott, Conor Chaplin, Jordan Cousins, Chris Maguire and Jadon Sancho. No idea if we were ever in for them or even interested, but players move around us and there's nothing doing in our rumour camp so the image of us missing out is created. There's people literally counting down the days til the window closes on here (which given the way deadline day works means they'd be better off counting down the hours on the day, and probably will), so the desperation over not getting enough content poured directly down our throats leads us to create links, and because we're Charlton fans they apparently always have to be negative.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!