Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Deleted….wrong thread 
    Wrong thread
    But a great post though? Would have got me 550 likes, 720 lols and a promote
  • Options
    Scott Fraser would be an amazing signing... tore us a new one this season
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Scott Fraser would be an amazing signing... tore us a new one this season
    Yeah but you know if he signs for us it won’t take him long to be charltonised like every other good player we sign! 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Let's put it all into context, this is the midfield, defence, and bench from the 1st game of the 18/19 season.  We didn't even fill the bench.  The positions are a bit out but does anyone think we will start next season in the same position?  Remember we got promoted that season! 

So currently we have signed up: 

M.Brewer
    Gunter - Inniss - Purrington
    Watson
    Washington - Morgan - Gilbey - Jaiyesimi
    Stockley - Schwartz

BENCH - No option but to make up with kids
    J.Beadle
    C.Barker
    A.Henry
    J.Davison 
    H.Ghandour
    W.Aouachria

• Options
    Probably beat a few sides 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Let's put it all into context, this is the midfield, defence, and bench from the 1st game of the 18/19 season.  We didn't even fill the bench.  The positions are a bit out but does anyone think we will start next season in the same position?  Remember we got promoted that season! 

So currently we have signed up: 

M.Brewer
    Gunter - Inniss - Purrington
    Watson
    Washington - Morgan - Gilbey - Jaiyesimi
    Stockley - Schwartz

BENCH - No option but to make up with kids
    J.Beadle
    C.Barker
    A.Henry
    J.Davison 
    H.Ghandour
    W.Aouachria

And that game was the 4th August, it's currently the 18th of JUNE! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Difference that season was the ownership issues - I would be massively disappointed if we don't have the full squad basically sorted for the start of the season.
    Yes I get that, what I am saying is that what we had at the start of the season.  Pratley hadn't been here 48 hours either and we still went up.

To say "if we don't have all 20-25 players in place at the start of the season we will throw promotion away" is wrong.  I am presenting the evidence. 
    Nobody has said we would be throwing promotion away, just that it'd be disappointing. 

The effort some go to try and make others sound like they're being negative really takes some mental acrobatics. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Difference that season was the ownership issues - I would be massively disappointed if we don't have the full squad basically sorted for the start of the season.
    Yes I get that, what I am saying is that what we had at the start of the season.  Pratley hadn't been here 48 hours either and we still went up.

To say "if we don't have all 20-25 players in place at the start of the season we will throw promotion away" is wrong.  I am presenting the evidence. 
    Nobody has said we would be throwing promotion away, just that it'd be disappointing. 

The effort some go to try and make others sound like they're being negative really takes some mental acrobatics. 
    That's exactly what someone said!!!

It's halfway down the previous page, that's what I originally replied to. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I've only peeked in and it's a mental thread nevermind acrobats. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    if Matthews, Amos & Aneke all resign and we sign five new players we won't be blowing League One out of the water.
    Why ? 
    because the squad won't be big enough and if we are only adding five new players of better quality we won't be good enough (in my opinion)
  • Options
    if Matthews, Amos & Aneke all resign and we sign five new players we won't be blowing League One out of the water.
    Why ? 
    because the squad won't be big enough and if we are only adding five new players of better quality we won't be good enough (in my opinion)
    I mean... Okay some people want to sound negative ;)
  • Options
    Reckon we’ll get 2 more in by end of next week
  • Options
    I think when the manager has said along the lines of, we are looking to do our business early, we want to have our signings in for the start of pre season training, we need more energy in the team & are looking to bring in younger players & play a high pressing game & that will be us next year as Hull cavorted on the pitch & the owner tells us we will blow this division away next season, you tend to think/hope targets are lined up ready to sign as in the Chris Powell revolution. So far the only signing has been the impressive Stockley but he was on the verge of signing for Pompey if you believe the Pompey chiefs posts. Look at some of the appalling performances from last season & yet the majority of those players will still be at the club this coming season if those offered new contracts sign on. It's still early days for sure & plenty can happen between now & the start of the season but I have to admit I thought we would have seen 2 or 3 coming in by now. Not bedwetting but have taken the plastic sheets out of the drawer just in case.
  • Options
    Why ? 
    No one as far as I have seen have mentioned how many we are looking at to bring in .. add to this 4/5 under 23 who will also get their chance to impress in per season .. by the end of the window we will have a very competitive squad and two players for each position 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

This with bells on ! 

I might seem pessimistic to some but in the 18/19 season we had an owner who couldn't give a shit & would like to have sold the club if someone was daft enough to pay him upwards of £50m for it and so was loathe to spend any money on players. In the 19/20 season we were under a transfer embargo from January 2020, which lasted most of of summer transfer window of the 20/21 season.

This season we have an a owner who has publicly said that we are going to "blow through League 1" and has said that he has a 5 year plan to get into the Premiership. You don't do that without spending significant money - either on fees or wages.....or both.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rothko said:
    Two good players at this level might come available, and that’s not ok to some. Oh well.

the rebuild is happening, sure we’ll see more signings in the coming weeks 
    Who said it's not okay? I hate it when people try and put words in your mouth.

It just doesn't match up as a rebuild when the only three players the club are willing to talk about are last season's loanees.

Nothing on anyone actually new yet, so I hope some fresh names start coming through soon.
    Agreed it would be refreshing to hear new names, also two of those players were very hit and miss, and still contributed to a team that eventually failed to get in the playoffs. I’m not saying they were rubbish, but they didn’t set the world alight either. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Key for me has got to be a quality CM and a partner for Innis at CB. 

If we could somehow get Scott Fraser and Famewo that would be ideal. Although I'm sure there's plenty of names out there people will throw around as possible alternatives to those 2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just spoke to a Coventry fan who said they are trying to sign Chuks, he had no idea who he even was. 
  • Options
    Trying to put things in perspective here. Last season was a very strange one. We all had high hopes but the shenanigans before Thomas and then the behind the scenes whatever with Lee Bowyer taking a very decent league one team on a three month run of relegation form pretty much did for us and yet still we only missed out on playoffs on GD. That squad from the end of last season with 5 quality additions would be in my opinion a playoff certainty. We must also factor in Nigel Adkins. We’ll play differently to how we played last season once he puts his stamp on the team. Automatic promotion is hard to predict but I have every confidence that we’ll be playoff certs and have a really good season. That’s about as much as any of us can hand on heart truly expect.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Do people on here not slightly overrate Scott Fraser? He's a good player but I feel like a lot of eggs are being put in the 'must sign him' basket. He was very good against us once this season, and then was completely marked out of the second game by Darren Pratley who many felt wasn't good enough to play for us anymore. I'd be happy if we got Fraser but I think his performance against us at The Valley has had some overstate his brilliance. Kind of reminds me of when we were linked with Danny Green, people were absolutely fixated on us signing him and he went on to be...ok. Basically, I don't think we should put too much pressure on this signing, there are others out there if the deal isn't right
    Yup totally agree, if one off games against us counted for everything Jan Åge Fjørtoft and Ricky Otto would have won the Ballon d'Or.

He would be a very good signing for us IMO but we won't get promoted just because we sign him, neither will we not get promoted of we don't sign him. 
  • Options
    Do people on here not slightly overrate Scott Fraser? He's a good player but I feel like a lot of eggs are being put in the 'must sign him' basket. He was very good against us once this season, and then was completely marked out of the second game by Darren Pratley who many felt wasn't good enough to play for us anymore. I'd be happy if we got Fraser but I think his performance against us at The Valley has had some overstate his brilliance. Kind of reminds me of when we were linked with Danny Green, people were absolutely fixated on us signing him and he went on to be...ok. Basically, I don't think we should put too much pressure on this signing, there are others out there if the deal isn't right
    Even more recently was Gilbey who started off strong, had an injury that knocked his form/confidence for six and looked dire, then played his way back into looking decent again. 

This is league one and even the very best players tend to be inconsistent and patchy in form. The ones who are CONSISTENTLY good more often than not end up in the Championship instead, that's just the nature of the game sadly.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    This.

More recently more based on performances against us Marcus Maddison and Erhun Oztumer seemed to be outstanding signings and to be fair both had moments whilst playing for us.

I like Fraser since playing against us for Burton three seasons ago and as long as the other due diligence is favourable then its a big yes from me. Losing Doughty, Maddison, Maetsen, Oztumer and JFC to injury has left us short of left footed players. Fraser ticks that box as well.

It is not season defining though. If he doesn't sign we move on. 
  • Options
    That kid beadle could have a big hand of that trophy 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    " .... with Peterborough already having a bid rejected for the attacker." (Joel Randall)

That's because he's going to sign for Charlton. Premiership in 5 years, here we come! :smiley:

4 years now, unless we are doing a Soviet style roll over 5 year plan.

In which case who is brave enough to ask where Comrade Popov is ?
    Sssshhh! Confidential. No leaks, please.
    Steve Gallen is working his nuts off behind the scenes and doesn't want to miss out on Popov.

• Options
    Not sure why people are worried.  Stockley chose Charlton over other clubs, as he was probably told that we would be building a squad to win promotion, and build a team around him as the main man.  They may already know that Millar and Famewo are coming back on loan next season.  I would suspect other players will be happy to sign, when they see the intent we have, by signing Stockley.   WE ARE GOING UP!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    cafcfan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    These latest rumours please me. I have been saying for ages if we replaced the 5 worst players with 5 players who would be our best players the rest of the squad was fine.

It would be nice to have about 18 by the 1st of July though.   I still think a couple of contracted players might go as well.  Still a lot to do.

I have never owned a BMW. 
    Mrs cafcfan has a BMW and has no penis of any size. My Maserati is a 4x4 but runs 100% to the rear wheels unless it detects any slippage. Rear wheel drive is far and away preferable. Front wheel drive is cheaper to manufacture that's why it is common.
    Except when it snows heavily and you see all the BMWs and Mercs stranded on the slip road :) I recall my brother Parking his BMW on a snowy day when he had to take th etrain to London. When he got back the road had iced up and there was a slope he couldn't get his car up. He had to wait for the thaw.
  • Options
    He won MKDons players player of the year and community ambassador of the year.  Fans player of the year I think he was second after Lewington.  Seems promising although I note their fans did also vote their team performance of the year being the game v us so you may be right about us over rating him.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!