Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why can't we keep the ball out of our own net at home?

edited April 2021 in General Charlton
- We have conceded 36 goals at home this season. By contrast, we've conceded 18 away.

- Only Burton, Rochdale and Wigan have conceded more goals on their own turf. They've all played 22 home games, we've played 21. 

WTF is the problem with defending at the Valley?

Comments

• Options
    Our defenders.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    We very rarely take the game to the opposition with possession and tactics. We play like sitting ducks and hope for a bit of magic.
  • Options
    We're shit.
  • Options
    Too happy to piss about with it at the back, inviting pressure and ‘leaving the man’ to someone else! 

Real lack of leadership as been obvious since Jackson stopped, and that hurts us
  • Options
    Ask Nige.
  • Options
    Pathetic really, what a horrible season.
  • Options
    I think Watson's lack of pace and energy is becoming an issue for us.
  • Options
    It was an issue tonight but he wasn't the problem on Saturday.  Him and Pratley shouldn't be playing 3 games in a row. Very different types of players but we look better with a fresh one or the other.  It's often when they have played a few games in a row they get worse. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It was an issue tonight but he wasn't the problem on Saturday.  Him and Pratley shouldn't be playing 3 games in a row. Very different types of players but we look better with a fresh one or the other.  It's often when they have played a few games in a row they get worse. 
    I agree. It wasn't an issue on Saturday. I think overall, it works better away than at home though. I'm going to bed so I won't mention it again as I am sounding like a worn record, but what has Shinnie done wrong? He is a passing midfielder with energy and an eye for goal. Why is he not at least on the bench?
  • Options
    I said early on in this campaign that if we lose Shinnie we won't win many games.

And so it came to pass. Yes he's played in a few turkey's but on the whole he is the most creative midfielder we've got.

Nige's reluctance to play him is baffling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope we buy the best of league one and start afresh. Like when Curbs was talking about buying Kiely from Bury. 

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    I hope we buy the best of league one and start afresh. Like when Curbs was talking about buying Kiely from Bury. 

Only problem that season we were a Premier League team down to the Championship

Might have been a different story if we'd had the whole of the summer ahead of this season to build the squad as we were a Championship team down in League One, so may have had the edge over Peterborough for Clarke-Harris for example.

Got three other teams down this summer who'll equally be looking to bounce back at the first attempt and if they each keep their squads together they'll instantly be a more lucrative option as we'll be once again a whole rebuild with no guarantees
  • Options
    It is an odd one, but it is worth remembering that there is currently very little difference playing at home vs away. We're not the only team suddenly struggling at home.
  • Options
    All Bowyer’s fault - Nigel would never concede a last minute equaliser !
  • Options
    I noticed the old habits of coasting back and letting the opposition run 40 yards unchallenged reappear last night with Watson being the main culprit. 
  • Options
    I said early on in this campaign that if we lose Shinnie we won't win many games.

And so it came to pass. Yes he's played in a few turkey's but on the whole he is the most creative midfielder we've got.

Not baffling to me. Shinnie is shit.
    If he had played last night he would have hardly touched the ball because Crewe would have played around him. 
    Shinnie is a lightweight that we cannot accommodate or afford to have in the starting line-up. 
  • Options
    Our defenders.
    ... and our midfielders and our attackers. 
  • Options

Most of Shinnie’s assists have been to Stockley and has been mentioned elsewhere we didn’t win any of those games that Stockley scored in.
  • Options
    Too many ageing players coming to the end of their careers in the team. Those teams who’ve given us the run around this season seem to have lots of fit, energetic and younger players. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    If we get back to the question. Why have we conceded 36 goals at home and only 18 away ?

Are the opposition inspired by playing at a impressive stadium even with no fans ?

Is the size of our pitch bigger that most of League 1 grounds ?

Without sitting in when the analysis is taking place at Sparrows lane, I don't know the data on how quick are we to get back in transition. Earlier in the season we were slow and Rochdale, Wimbledon, Burton etc punished us on the turn over at the Valley.

Different opinions on Shinnie but that doesn't answer the question posed by Callum.
  • Options

Not baffling to me. Shinnie is shit.
    If he had played last night he would have hardly touched the ball because Crewe would have played around him. 
    Shinnie is a lightweight that we cannot accommodate or afford to have in the starting line-up. 
    I literally couldn't disagree with a post more
  • Options
    What I don't understand is how we're so different away from home. Teams have zero fear of us at The Valley and always seem to be more like the home side, taking the game to us and not sitting back. Whatever it is we do as an away side we should look to replicate at home. If it means trying to be more counter attacking so be it. We also need to keep it on the deck more. We seem to go longer at home more than away.
  • Options
    I like Stockley and hope we sign him on a permanent, but he does make us very predictable and one dimensional when we play. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Amos was not at fault for the goals last night and having watched Quest with the goals of other teams he is one of the better stoppers in this division. Keepers make mistakes ;Lloris makes more than most but also does Great saves. Amos must be in credit on the matches I have watched this season. Considering i missed most of the clean sheets in that 7 game clean sheet run(I went back to watching grass roots football until Covid stopped the matches on Nov 5th.)
  • Options
    The answer to the title of this forum is..

According to many on CL Amos never has much to do and isn't at fault for anything remotely connected with him doing or not doing his job.

Therefore the question is unfathomable or Amos stands in the wrong place most of the time.
    So you're saying Amos stands in the wrong place most of the time at The Valley.
    But he stands in the right place away.
    Well, there's a first.
  • Options
    We need more players like Owen Dale.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Dale and Lowery would be a good start plus Piggot. 
  • Options
    I don't profess to know the reason for it but the whole team seems more spread out at The Valley and there's way too much space between the lines. and the back line sits deeper.
    Easier for the other team to play though and harder for us to support others when we have the ball. How often is a ball pumped up to an isolated Stockley?
    Away from home, the whole formation seems more compact, they play further up and press the opposition defence.
    That's the main difference I have seen, anyway.