Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Worst Gifted Goals

Famewo's backpass yesterday is surely up there with Naby's Wembley gaffe. I know there have been dozens of gifts we've given over the years, but I seem to have repressed the memories. So as a bit of therapy, what are the other worst gifts we've given? And just to lighten the mood, the best one's we've been given.

Comments

• Trying to remember when we scored a similar goal.
  • Kiely against Swindon at home in title winning season. Dived out to claim a low cross and ended up pushing it back into the net.
  • Naby at Wembley must be the all time worst, we don’t get to cup finals very often!
  • Didn’t Kish play a killer through ball (back pass) to Andy Cole in the 3-2 game vs Blackburn ?
  • Christ - that’s so depressing! Who’s our defensive coach again?!
  • Not the worst but i will always remember Moutouakil going to clear a cross for a corner away at Scunthorpe, completely miskicking it with one foot, the ball hit his other foot and bounced right to their striker who scored.
  • Not a gift on yesterday's scale, but this might cheer us up.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmJ8jsiSvyk
  • Jim Tolmie’s own goal from what seemed like the halfway line, late in the 1st half at Carlisle in ‘86 minutes as a cracker. We were 2 0 down at the time and went on the win 3 2 and virtually seal promotion to Div 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:
    Trying to remember when we scored a similar goal.
    JJ against Fulham in the Prem.
  • The own goal Barness scored is still a classic! 1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4CjIkrSqHY
  • cfgs said:
    Kiely against Swindon at home in title winning season. Dived out to claim a low cross and ended up pushing it back into the net.
    Apart from Wembley, this is always the one that comes immediately to mind. The collective shock around The Valley when that rolled in to back of the net. 
  • edited March 2021
    se9addick said:
    Christ - that’s so depressing! Who’s our defensive coach again?!

Mr Bean.

I blame players who have a brain freeze from over coaching at times.

• Some classics there which made me have to pay out for more therapy but do you guys remember a 4-0 win at Sunderland when they scored 3 own goals and one of their own goals was assisted by two other Sunderland players !

• Addickted said:
    Trying to remember when we scored a similar goal.
    Didn’t the Southend goalkeeper pass the ball out to BWP who waiting waiting just outside the D ?
  • Killer’s goal at the Stamford Bridge when we were treated to a recreation of the keystone kops crashing into to each other and leaving him to leisurely collect the ball that was standing there all alone and put it into the back of the net 
  • edited March 2021
    One we gave away was a 1970s league cup game at home, 4th round (?) Stoke (I think) and we gave away a corner, our keeper decided to run the distance to helpfully collect the ball for them, kicked  it to their player waiting to take it and watched as he quickly took it with him in No mans land and they scored in a goal keeper empty net.
  • edited March 2021
    Stig said:
    Famewo's backpass yesterday is surely up there with Naby's Wembley gaffe. I know there have been dozens of gifts we've given over the years, but I seem to have repressed the memories. So as a bit of therapy, what are the other worst gifts we've given? And just to lighten the mood, the best one's we've been given.
    To be fair, we probably needed a dickhead pass like that for NA to understand why this squad is not running away with the league 
  • Dave Shipperleys from 30 yards was a bit special
  • Sponsored links:

• One we gave away was a 1970s league cup game at home, 4th round (?) Stoke (I think) and we gave away a corner, our keeper decided to run the distance to helpfully collect the ball for them, kicked  it to their player waiting to take it and watched as he quickly took it with him in No mans land and they scored in a goal keeper empty net.
    Garth Crooks headed it in...
  • In terms of gifted goals we shouldnt forget the goal we got back against Doncaster at the Valley - Goalkeeper should have done so much better with Taylor's cross and palmed it straight into Pratley's path.

Had that not happened I didnt see us getting another opportunity to equalise and so send it to penalties
  • A few poor back passes gifting a goal; various OG's; and the odd blooper that caused blushes galore....but never have we seen so many gifts given to oppo forwards in one season resulting in lost points!

One famous one not mentioned was versus Bolton in the late sixties.  Charlie Wright catches a cross by the goal line, and thinks it's gone behind for a goal kick. He walks forward, puts the ball down on the edge of the six yard box and retreats to take his run up.  The Bolton forward wanders up and strokes the ball into the empty net. Goal given!
  • Killer’s goal at the Stamford Bridge when we were treated to a recreation of the keystone kops crashing into to each other and leaving him to leisurely collect the ball that was standing there all alone and put it into the back of the net 
    Good one. Pretty sure Chopper Harris was one of them, which made it all the more hilarious.
  • edited March 2021
    Stig said:
    To be fair there wasn't a lot Naby did that was fundamentaly wrong, all he did was pass back to Dillon
    who let it bobble over his foot, if anything he was too relaxed and failed to collect, you could also argue that it bobbled before it got to him, but lack of concentration on Dillon's part really.
    Good one. Pretty sure Chopper Harris was one of them, which made it all the more hilarious.
    Yes, pretty sure it was Chopper and Peter Bonetti crashing into one another. Killer said thank you very much and rolled it in. The day after Boxing Day 1975 (when we got stuffed at home by Pompey) IIRC.
  • Jim Tolmie’s own goal from what seemed like the halfway line, late in the 1st half at Carlisle in ‘86 minutes as a cracker. We were 2 0 down at the time and went on the win 3 2 and virtually seal promotion to Div 1
    What a goal that was, totally changed the game. 

• Steve Downan scored a cracking OG at home to Sheff Wed and did it again away to Sheff U. 
  • Considering the size of the occasion, it has to be Naby Sarr's. 

And if it was going to be any player, it would have been him wouldn't it? 

All worked out in the end though
  • Pedro45 said:
    One we gave away was a 1970s league cup game at home, 4th round (?) Stoke (I think) and we gave away a corner, our keeper decided to run the distance to helpfully collect the ball for them, kicked  it to their player waiting to take it and watched as he quickly took it with him in No mans land and they scored in a goal keeper empty net.
    Garth Crooks headed it in...
    I think this may have been a cup tie v Sheff United and the culprit was John Dunn. Game finished 2-2 aet. We lost the second replay 1-0.