Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• edited March 2021
    I am very sceptical about 5 year plans, even 3 year plans. Of course you have to have long term elements to plans relating to youth development and growing the club, but every plan has to be a one season one. Things happen in football and we can't plan for the season after next until we know how next season pans out as how it pans out affects what you do. 

To be fair, we don't know how this season will pan out. I'm sure the plan will be very different if we get promoted.
  • Am I wrong in saying that Adkins preferred formation is 4231? It will be interesting to see if he tries to switch to that early on which would mean either moving an in form Washington out wide or if he sticks with some version of a 442
  • edited March 2021
    this is a big surprise .. 'we don't need Mourinho, we got a physio' .. EDIT (I see that comment has already been made lol) .. we could have done better .. he's been out of management for a few years, his managerial record is very mixed. T B H I am not impressed and hope that I am totally wrong
  • It's quite rare for goalkeepers to turn to management, I wonder if he's our first?
  • Glad we're keeping Johnnie, going to be good for him learning from someone who has done it at the very top.

Fast becoming a bit of a Mr Charlton Athletic, may well be one of the closest characters to the club after Sir Keith Peacock

Adkins wouldnt have been my choice but hearing about the positivity from fans of his other clubs Ive warmed to him a bit - Regardless will still have my full support until the day Sandgaard chooses to get rid

Hope he can be a rarity in being someone with a non-Charlton background to get us promoted!! 
  • Considering the dross the bookies mentioned and the fact that a lot of choices on here were tied to clubs, I think it's a pretty good choice. People might not like his previous links, for what reason I don't know, but the club must have a direction that everyone can buy into and support and this guy fits the bill. 
  • Done some great things but equally took Sheffield United to their lowest league finish the last time he worked in League One. Now not worked in two years.

This is a gamble.

I genuinely hope that he's successful, but this doesn't feel like progress to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Am I wrong in saying that Adkins preferred formation is 4231? It will be interesting to see if he tries to switch to that early on which would mean either moving an in form Washington out wide or if he sticks with some version of a 442
    Played Barnard and Lambert up top for Southampton - but can’t comment at other clubs. 

Think he’ll prove a good appointment. Delighted JJ is staying 
  • Chizz said:
    We've appointed a Nigel  :open_mouth:
    At least it's not Farage
    At least we wouldn't let many in
    This post shouldn't get overlooked.
    Quality
  • N. H. ADKINS RED AND WHITE ARMY!
  • what do all the Nigel haters think about this then ?? ((:>)   :smile::);)
  • Happy with this. 

I just feel we need experience. The naivety, mistakes, errors in basics, injuries in training we have shown for some time needs addressing. 

Am happy JJ has stayed on. The players clearly think a lot of him, but a caretaker replacing a caretaker cum manager is not what we need right now. 
  • Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

Really quite angry about this, feels like a complete piss take to be honest.
    Blimey! 🤔
  • this is a big surprise .. 'we don't need Mourinho, we got a physio' .. EDIT (I see that comment has already been made lol) .. we could have done better .. he's been out of management for a few years, his managerial record is very mixed. T B H I am not impressed and hope that I am totally wrong
    Only a season and a half.  Not sure football has changed much since 2019 (excepting the lack of crowds etc!).
  • Really happy with this especially with JJ staying on. Continuity but a change of style nevertheless. 

Welcome Nigel Adkins and thank you Jacko for staying.
  • Maybe not one to get the pulse racing if I'm honest but in our position I'm unsure who, realistically in our position, would. Other than an unknown from abroad. You can't argue against his record of getting clubs out of this tin pot division we've got far too comfortable in. Fingers crossed we'll be another promotion on his record ASAP.

As with all managers he gets a clean sheet from me and a fair crack of the whip to get his feet under the table. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Laddick01 said:
    JJ must've been given some reassurance that the job could be his one day. Adkins is experienced, and supposedly a good motivator.

Thinking seems to be let Nigel get us up, stabilise and then hopefully Johnnie will be fully ready to take over when needed.

I dont hate it.
    Thanks Nige for all ur hard work but step aside JJs here
  • Hoping this will help us keep hold of Chuks.
  • having watched his interview I'm far more upbeat - JJ staying is a massive plus, him choosing us over B'ham.

Welcome Nigel and good luck
  • The anti Nigel has arrived.
  • Good appointment, people had far too high expectations and absolutely bonkers ideas on who to get in. A lot of bullshit reasons that a lot on the facebook had telling themselves why Nigel is the worst appointment ever and making up rumours about how sandgaard hasn't got any money and just another crook. I think 6 years of Roland and ESI have completely broken some people.
  • Everyone is of course entitled to their opinions, it just saddens me somewhat when much of them appear to be not based upon on any individual research.

I honestly can't see how you can spend some time reading into Adkins career, his achievements, his ethos, and come to the conclusion that it's appointment which is so bad it makes you angry.

Is there any guarantee he will do well at Charlton. Of course not. But past Wilder and maybe Howe honestly who else that was available do you think would pretty much guarantee success?

The main thing is that him and the owner are on the same page, and we have a manger who has a fantastic record in this league and is one that barely any fans of his previous clubs have a bad word to say about.
    I think a lot of people wanted Curbs or JJ and wouldn't have been happy with anyone else.