Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• Options
    A thoroughly decent bloke  , let down possibly by the club's recruitment team  , he should still have done better with the players at his disposal. 
  • Options
    In danish but apparently Laudrup is looking at getting back into football management. Might he be tempted by TS?

https://beta.bold.dk/fodbold/nyheder/laudrup-holder-doeren-paa-klem-som-traener
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Also let down by the players. How did they suddenly go from not knowing how to play to beating Sunderland away.  They must have had the ability to do that.  They need to take a look at themselves.
    I don’t think that’s necessarily fair. They put a lot of effort in every single game, it’s not as if they downed tools at any point to get rid of the manager. 

I just don’t think Adkins, or his tactics, is a great fit for the squad. As nice as he was, I know I wouldn’t want to be managed by someone like Adkins. 

Some people are born leaders and others aren’t -Jackson is a natural leader of men. Adkins came across as he read self-help books on leadership and management.
  • Options
    Also let down by the players. How did they suddenly go from not knowing how to play to beating Sunderland away.  They must have had the ability to do that.  They need to take a look at themselves.
    A lot of them are they same players, that did the same thing under Bowyer.  I don't know why (is it a mental thing?) but we have a number of players who after one or two sub par performances become awful and only a change of manager seems to solve it. 
  • Options
    I don’t think that’s necessarily fair. They put a lot of effort in every single game, it’s not as if they downed tools at any point to get rid of the manager. 

I just don’t think Adkins, or his tactics, was a great fit for the squad. As nice as he was, I know I wouldn’t want to be managed by someone like Adkins. 

Some people are born leaders and others aren’t -Jackson is a natural leader of men. Adkins came across as he read self-help books on leadership and management.
    I'd give them the benefit of the doubt if it wasn't the second time they've done it a year. 
  • Options
    That's a fair point. I'm also kind of pissed at them, then I am left wondering if Jackson was a part of their behaviour.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    A lot of them are they same players, that did the same thing under Bowyer.  I don't know why (is it a mental thing?) but we have a number of players who after one or two sub par performances become awful and only a change of manager seems to solve it. 
    It’s like Goldilocks and the three bears.

This manager is too nasty.

This manager is too nice.

This manager is just right.
    You might be right and the 4th manager was just too gobby.  Because the same thing happened then as well. 

Hopefully Jackson will be fully aware why it keeps happening, know what to do to stop it happening and wasn't part of the reason it happened. 

If he can stop a bad run at 2 or 3 games, not 2 or 3 months, I'll be convinced. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It’s like Goldilocks and the three bears.

This manager is too nasty.

This manager is too nice.

This manager is just right.
    You might be right and the 4th manager was just too gobby.  Because the same thing happened then as well. 

Hopefully Jackson will be fully aware why it keeps happening, know what to do to stop it happening and wasn't part of the reason it happened. 

If he can stop a bad run at 2 or 3 games, not 2 or 3 months, I'll be convinced. 

I mean in previous years (RD era) he's been one of the ring leaders in doing it. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I would absolutely love to know the truth of what went on, but we will never get to know it I guess.

Was Nigel too weak about saying what he needed in the summer transfer window, or was he being professional by keeping his mouth shut and not telling us the truth.

He made a big thing at the time about not going on holiday in the Summer time (he’d had a 2 year break?) so probably thought he didn’t need one / what with Covid travel restrictions thought it might be a bucket load of stress anyway.

I remember thinking , oh good he’s hard working not taking a break, he really wants to get it right, and knows what it takes given his previous experience.

With hindsight, he probably wishes he’d taken a break instead, given what a onnishambles the window was.

5 games in wasted without a proper left back, lots of points dropped, heaping the pressure on us, getting into a rut we couldn’t get out of.

My hope is that Thomas is serious about reviewing ‘how they do business in a transfer window’ otherwise regardless of who the manager is, it’s going to keep on happening.

Really hope Johnnie talks to other managers to see how they do their business.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I think something happened during the summer. 

There was talk that Sandgaard slashing the budget hence us going for option D or E rather than our first picks. (Rumours on here and not a fact).

Also talk that a lot of our targets went to Championship clubs or other League One sides paying more than us. 

Then at the end of the window we went into panic mode and brought in anyone that was available/maybe paying a little bit more. 

Plus there's all the stuff with the 'black box' and the committee so would be interesting to know how much input Adkins really had in the players that were brought in. 

The only players really that you could say we went out and got our first choice would be Stockley and Kirk. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021

I just don’t think Adkins, or his tactics, was a great fit for the squad. As nice as he was, I know I wouldn’t want to be managed by someone like Adkins. 

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt if it wasn't the second time they've done it a year. 
    Done what? Being in poor form? 

As a manager, you’re either successful and win games of football or you’re not and you get sacked. That’s the life of a manager, it always has been and always will be. I don’t think the players have done anything out of the ordinary apart from play bad football. 

A manager will always get sacked at some stage. It’s very odd to look back at our managerial churn as if it’s out of the ordinary in comparison to the rest of football.

If they had a habit of failing to work hard then I may agree with you, but I don’t think that’s something you can accuse the players of, under Bowyer or Adkins.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I wasn't saying they were letting down Adkins as much as just letting themselves, the team and us down.

"I'm not angry.  I'm just disappointed".
  • Options

As a manager, you’re either successful and win games of football or you’re not and you get sacked. That’s the life of a manager, it always has been and always will be. I don’t think the players have done anything out of the ordinary apart from play bad football. 

A manager will always get sacked at some stage. It’s very odd to look back at our managerial churn as if it’s out of the ordinary in comparison to the rest of football.

If they had a habit of failing to work hard then I may agree with you, but I don’t think that’s something you can accuse the players of, under Bowyer or Adkins.

It's not lack of effort, it's a lack of desire to win.  Win the 2nd balls, win the tackles.

Under Robinson, Bowyer and Adkins when we were shit there wasn't just one reason.  In the Accrington game last week there was a number of times a little bit more desire would have scored another goal.  For their second goal I think I counted 6 silly little mistakes in the lead up to the goal.  If anyone of those 6 players had done their job it would have been prevented.

When we are 100% on it we will beat almost every team in this divison, any drop from 100% we will lose to almost every team in this division.

I can't remember, in the last 18 months, were we lost a game we should have clearly won nor can I remember a game and thinking how the hell did we win that.

For that to be the case for such a long time is a bit unique huh? 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

It's not lack of effort, it's a lack of desire to win.  Win the 2nd balls, win the tackles.

Under Robinson, Bowyer and Adkins when we were shit there wasn't just one reason.  In the Accrington game last week there was a number of times a little bit more desire would have scored another goal.  For their second goal I think I counted 6 silly little mistakes in the lead up to the goal.  If anyone of those 6 players had done their job it would have been prevented.

When we are 100% on it we will beat almost every team in this divison, any drop from 100% we will lose to almost every team in this division.

I can't remember, in the last 18 months, were we lost a game we should have clearly won nor can I remember a game and thinking how the hell did we win that.

I don’t think there was a lack of desire to win games, second balls or tackles. Robinson and Bowyer left the club in and around the play-offs. What you’re describing is more commonly associated with a team finishing in the relegation zone, not one in the top 10. 

We’re in and around there now but I wouldn’t put it down to an inherent issue with the squad/club that stems back 5 seasons. There’s plenty of issues with the squad to be addressed, but I don’t think it’s fair to argue that we have players that lack the desire to win. 

Regarding you not remembering a game we lost that we should of won or a win we should have lost. I’m not sure what that would prove? I can think of games we should of lost but didn’t, e.g. Accrington away, Sunderland at home or Fleetwood away.

The squad isn’t great and it hasn’t been for a while. We’ve got some older deadwood, we’ve got a lot of young players yet to prove themselves and we’ve got a few that just aren’t good enough. I don’t think we’ll finish the season in a relegation battle and I don’t think the failed promotion bid has stemmed from a lack of desire
  • Options
    In danish but apparently Laudrup is looking at getting back into football management. Might he be tempted by TS?

https://beta.bold.dk/fodbold/nyheder/laudrup-holder-doeren-paa-klem-som-traener
    The geezer is high profile but with ZERO knowledge of division three football.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I don’t think there was a lack of desire to win games, second balls or tackles. Robinson and Bowyer left the club in and around the play-offs. What you’re describing is more commonly associated with a team finishing in the relegation zone, not one in the top 10. 

We’re in and around there now but I wouldn’t put it down to an inherent issue with the squad/club that stems back 5 seasons. There’s plenty of issues with the squad to be addressed, but I don’t think it’s fair to argue that we have players that lack the desire to win. 

Regarding you not remembering a game we lost that we should of won or a win we should have lost. I’m not sure what that would prove? I can think of games we should of lost but didn’t, e.g. Accrington away, Sunderland at home or Fleetwood away.

The squad isn’t great and it hasn’t been for a while. We’ve got some older deadwood, we’ve got a lot of young players yet to prove themselves and we’ve got a few that just aren’t good enough. I don’t think we’ll finish the season in a relegation battle and I don’t think the failed promotion bid has stemmed from a lack of desire
    What is it then?  Teams that aren't very good don't put runs of 7 wins 3 draws from 10 games together, then another 1 deafet in 10 at the end of the season.  The same squad were in relegation form for 4 months, 26 games, in the middle of last season.   It would have been worse without the super sub.

What the winning games, or losing games, proves is its not luck.  Either in the good runs, or the bad runs, we have got exactly what we have deserved in every match.  We haven't won games by fluke or lost them the same way. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    We need a manager who is proven at this level. Someone with promotions on their CV.

Adkins in

(This is a joke)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    We need a manager who is proven at this level. Someone with promotions on their CV.

Adkins in

(This is a joke)
    Suits us then doesn't it, and I am usually glass half full, but not today....
  • Options

Adkins in

(This is a joke)
    Thought it was all down to the players? 
  • Options
    The clue was in the third line of the post.
  • Options
    The clue was in the third line of the post.
    Adkins in?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Get the joke but Adkins is not looking quite such an imbecile now is he?

Looks more like he was stitched up during the summer recruitment process and not allowed to choose his own players or his own backroom team. TS and and son meddled in every detail and him left to sort out the mess on the pitch. 

His facial expression looked a bit like Jackson's now - betrayed and bemused. 

Having said that we will probably re-sign him on a four year contract.

Probably all true, but playing Watson over Dobson proves Adkins was a terrible manager IMO.
  • Options

Looks more like he was stitched up during the summer recruitment process and not allowed to choose his own players or his own backroom team. TS and and son meddled in every detail and him left to sort out the mess on the pitch. 

Probably all true, but playing Watson over Dobson proves Adkins was a terrible manager IMO.
    More like Adkins rebelled because it wasn't  his choice.  However it now appears that apart from Stockley not many were. By the way Watson wasn't chosen early over Dobson, only after Dobson's early form was cack.
    You mean when all their form was cack and none of our tactics worked?
  • Options
    Both managers should have got more out of this squad. There's a lot of deadwood, but to capitulate the way we did at home to Bolton, and again yesterday, isn't just on the players
  • Options

More like Adkins rebelled because it wasn't  his choice.  However it now appears that apart from Stockley not many were. By the way Watson wasn't chosen early over Dobson, only after Dobson's early form was cack.
    Dobson’s early form wasn’t CACT. He was still one of the better performers in a very poor performing and saddled with settling in Clare and the liability that was Albie at the time 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:

Dobson’s early form wasn’t CACT. He was still one of the better performers in a very poor performing and saddled with settling in Clare and the liability that was Albie at the time 
    The concerning thing with Dobson's early season form was how he melted ay MK Dons.