Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jake Forster Caskey - waiting to hear if club will exercise 1 year option (p11)

Comments

• edited May 2021
    The club's duty of care here is to make sure JFC gets the medical care he needs to rehabilitate and still has enough money to pay his rent/mortgage and put food on the table. That doesn't necessarily mean the club should or will pay him 5k a week.

Morally though, and has been the approach of the club in the past, it's the right thing to do to look after him.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I imagine he won't get a new contract with us if injured as back to back ACLs is bit of a risk, but we may take it.
    Is it really a risk, giving him another year, in "football terms" it's sod all money.  If there is another wage cap he would be exempt from it as wouldn't be in our "squad".

It's 100% the right thing to do.  Especially for our 2nd longest serving player and one that has played nearly every game this season.  

Depends on how long he’s out for (it sounds like a less serious version of the previous injury so maybe 3-6 months rather than the 8-9 last time?) and whether Nigel was planning to keep him prior to this news.

There’s no room for sentiment in football. Thomas would not take kindly to paying someone a pity wage. Come and use our facilities for your recovery, sure. But let’s only be offering contracts to players that are actually in Nigel’s plan.
    It wouldn't be a pity wage though. JFC could well be voted player of the season and have more to offer us.  It does also make the club more attractive to players and ultimately we (us fans) should be more generous to Taylor and Solly if we don't think we should do this.
    I know I'm in the minority here - he's a decent player and will win POTY for good reason but I was hoping he wouldn't be first choice next season after the rebuild. I think he gets a lot of leeway from our fans because he's a bit of a local lad that the fans can identify with and he gets stuck in which helps.

The numbers are such that giving JFC another year will cost the club $200-250k at a rough guess. The decision makers at the club will have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide if spending that amount of money will be worth it if he can only play half a season. If they make that call, I will support it.
    I don't get what bit of this people don't get.  You don't just need 1st choices!

If he hadn't been injured in 18/19 he would have still played over 30 games.  Despite being not 1st choice.  He would have been behind Cullen and Beilek.  So were Lapslie and Reeves.  Guess what those 2 played over 40 games between them!

You need at least 6 center mids.  You aren't getting 5 better than JFC, not in league 1. 

This is a league 1 rebuild.  We aren't buying the man city team.

Plus what's 200k when your talking about 10s of millions of quid? 
    No we definitely do need more than just a first XI but if he's going to be injured / back-up when healthy, that's an expensive wage to carry.

It's because we aren't buying the Man City team that we need to be careful. We can't spent 5k per week on six midfielders after spending 48k p/w (wage cap) total for the duration of the prior season. Wage cap won't exist for next year but I'm sure we won't let the wage bill explode. Spending 40-50% of the budget on six players that all play the same position would be madness.
    I'd he is out for 9-12 months we should roll over his contract.  It's the right thing to do.

If he is out for 3-6 months he is well worth being part of the squad.  If him, Morgan and the new version of Gilbey are something like 3rd to 6th choice we will probably win the league.

There is no way that those 3 average anywhere near 5k a week between them. 
  • Absolutely gutted for JFC. Been brilliant this season. I know he’ll be back stronger from this set back
  • AndyG said:
    Imo there is absolutely no choice in this situation. I'm not a big fan of JFC but he has been injured playing for the club. If the club doesnt look after him then that would 100% make Taylor correct in his actions last year. The guy has been injured whilst playing so we look after him
    Unfortunately, as the Taylor situation you refer to shows, there is no loyalty in football. We need to provide him with the best medical and rehabilitate care we can as the injury happened on our watch. In terms of contracts for next season, he should be judged on what he can offer versus alternatives available to us. 
  • Possibly 1 year contract to recover and get fit hopefully with extra year if he comes back able to play
  • JaShea99 said:
    Is JFC a Championship player? As good as he’s been this season I don’t believe he is.
    I agree, but last time i checked we were in league 1
    Good one.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think he’s a championship quality player. He might not set the championship alight every game but he’s got decent quality especially when he gets his eye in after a run of games. Helps if not surrounded by idiots.
  • I do find it hilarious that people moan about players leaving, youth products not giving us more than a season and a lack of loyalty in football, but when the bloke who wore the captain’s armband on Tuesday gets a bad injury he should be turfed out because there’s ‘no room for sentiment’ in football. What? We support a shit third division club, sentiment is all there’s room for. We all want players who care about the club representing the shirt, and the least we can offer in return is support for those same players when they go through a difficult time. What kind of fanbase that prides itself on its community aspects doesn’t extend that to its own players when they’re in a bad place?  It doesn’t sound like JFC’s injury is quite as bad as the last one so hopefully he’ll have the off-season to rehab and can be back part way through next season, and I hope he gets an extension to achieve that with us. 
    Circa 20 players will be released from our u-18 team this season, for most of them it will end the dream of making it as a pro despite being with us for most of their childhood. Should they all get contracts for the sake of “sentiment”? 

If JFC hadn’t have gotten injured then he would have left us if he had a better option this summer. His medical and physical rehabilitation is the extent of our obligation, another contract is a step too far. It’s brutal, but this summer we will have better options than him now he’s injured, so we should leave him just like he would have us.

The only loyalty in football is from the fans towards their club, I’m astonished some haven’t learnt that yet with the shenanigans we’ve been exposed to in recent years.
  • Gutted for JFC, and really surprised too as it didn't look like a bad injury. The reaction of the player was of someone with a muscle injury of the sort which keeps you out 2 to 4 weeks, rather than a bad knee injury, so hopefully it won't be a long term injury

Of course we should give him a new contract, 1 year plus the club having an option of a second year. He's definitely good enough to play a decent number of games in L1 and be a squad player in the Championship. And we do need some stability too
  • cabbles said:
    I can’t get on board with the opinion he’s Championship quality.  I think that’s pushing it a bit.  Had he not gotten this injury, I would’ve been surprised if he got picked up by someone in the Championship 
    "Championship quality" is a bit of a braod spectrum though.  When he played for us in the championship, and Brighton, he wasn't out of his depth.  Remember he got an assist on the opening day, was arguably MOM, out of position, at Fulham.

Would he have been in our 1st 11 last season probably not, especially when we had Gallagher.  Would he of added to the teams we played at Swansea, Derby and Huddersfield, to name 3 that stuck out, almost certainly.

Would I sign him to be my main man in a championship midfield?  No. Would I take him on free to be my 5th or 6th center mid?  I would strongly consider it.

Lots of people on here didn't rate Williams but he got a move to the championship. As a squad player.

If he hadn't got injured, and didn't sign a new contract, I strongly suspect he would have endes up at either a pompy or Ipswich as a 1st team player or a millwall or Luton as a squad one. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    I can’t get on board with the opinion he’s Championship quality.  I think that’s pushing it a bit.  Had he not gotten this injury, I would’ve been surprised if he got picked up by someone in the Championship 
    "Championship quality" is a bit of a braod spectrum though.  When he played for us in the championship, and Brighton, he wasn't out of his depth.  Remember he got an assist on the opening day, was arguably MOM, out of position, at Fulham.

Would he have been in our 1st 11 last season probably not, especially when we had Gallagher.  Would he of added to the teams we played at Swansea, Derby and Huddersfield, to name 3 that stuck out, almost certainly.

Would I sign him to be my main man in a championship midfield?  No. Would I take him on free to be my 5th or 6th center mid?  I would strongly consider it.

Lots of people on here didn't rate Williams but he got a move to the championship. As a squad player.

If he hadn't got injured, and didn't sign a new contract, I strongly suspect he would have endes up at either a pompy or Ipswich as a 1st team player or a millwall or Luton as a squad one. 
    He was very good at Fulham, put a great ball over for the knock back for Gallagher’s opener.  Having said that, if he was fit I wouldn’t have put him in ahead of Bielik, Cullen or Aribo during our promotion season from League One.  I’ve just never rated him that highly.  I can see why a lot of our fans like him, I’ve just always thought he was a limited player and has shone this season because it’s been pretty poor.  

In terms of a new contract, I am sure he would’ve been offered one given his run of games.  I don’t think the injury is as bad as it was last time, so as Manilow mentioned, he may well be able to get a lot of the rehab done in the off season and potentially still be here next season 
  • edited May 2021
    The injury seemed like an innocuous tangle at the time. Almost feel bad now moaning about his hair/set pieces of late as he may be out for 12 months again (if an acl reconstruction).

Good luck with recovery. Jake put in some performances that have got us to where we are in the final game of season.
  • Hope the recovery goes well and that the club stands by a player that has consistently given his all for us in recent years.
  • Sponsored links:

• The club should look after Jake.
    I think most on here would agree he has given his all whenever he has played this season and has brought an energy to midfield that had been seriously lacking. He was still giving his all on Tuesday, despite being obviously fatigued over the previous 2-3 games, something that quite possibly contributed to this injury.
    It reflects well on him that he continued to push himself so close to the end of the season despite his contract being due to expire, when he could have coasted through the last few games and still won POTY.
    It would reflect well on the club to offer him another year and hope that the loyalty and commitment to him will be reciprocated.
  • edited May 2021
    I do find it hilarious that people moan about players leaving, youth products not giving us more than a season and a lack of loyalty in football, but when the bloke who wore the captain’s armband on Tuesday gets a bad injury he should be turfed out because there’s ‘no room for sentiment’ in football. What? We support a shit third division club, sentiment is all there’s room for. We all want players who care about the club representing the shirt, and the least we can offer in return is support for those same players when they go through a difficult time. What kind of fanbase that prides itself on its community aspects doesn’t extend that to its own players when they’re in a bad place?  It doesn’t sound like JFC’s injury is quite as bad as the last one so hopefully he’ll have the off-season to rehab and can be back part way through next season, and I hope he gets an extension to achieve that with us. 
    Alright alright I’m being a dick to Jake. I apologise.

My only point was that either we were going to offer him a contract or not. Whichever way, I’m sure Nigel had made his mind up on him. If he was going to keep him, do it - I’ll support it, he’s a good League One player. If he was going to let him go, an injury shouldn’t stop him.

Paying him a full wage for another year would be madness if those same wages could be spent on a top transfer target.
  • If it wasn't for bad luck we'd have no luck at all
    Yeah, lucky that. No, wait. What?
  • Football fans are so fickle. 
  • edited May 2021
    If the club haven't announced to the squad that Jake will be looked after, the players are not going to be putting themselves on the line come Saturday.
  • I do find it hilarious that people moan about players leaving, youth products not giving us more than a season and a lack of loyalty in football, but when the bloke who wore the captain’s armband on Tuesday gets a bad injury he should be turfed out because there’s ‘no room for sentiment’ in football. What? We support a shit third division club, sentiment is all there’s room for. We all want players who care about the club representing the shirt, and the least we can offer in return is support for those same players when they go through a difficult time. What kind of fanbase that prides itself on its community aspects doesn’t extend that to its own players when they’re in a bad place?  It doesn’t sound like JFC’s injury is quite as bad as the last one so hopefully he’ll have the off-season to rehab and can be back part way through next season, and I hope he gets an extension to achieve that with us. 
    Alright alright I’m being a dick to Jake. I apologise.

My only point was that either we were going to offer him a contract or not. Whichever way, I’m sure Nigel had made his mind up on him. If he was going to keep him, do it - I’ll support it, he’s a good League One player. If he was going to let him go, an injury shouldn’t stop him.

Paying him a full wage for another year would be madness if those same wages could be spent on a top transfer target.
    If the whole European dream falls apart in the 1st proper full season because we give JFC a contract worth, probably less than, 250k.  I think there will be a lot of disappointment for reasons other than Jake. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

He was very good at Fulham, put a great ball over for the knock back for Gallagher’s opener.  Having said that, if he was fit I wouldn’t have put him in ahead of Bielik, Cullen or Aribo during our promotion season from League One.  I’ve just never rated him that highly.  I can see why a lot of our fans like him, I’ve just always thought he was a limited player and has shone this season because it’s been pretty poor.  

In terms of a new contract, I am sure he would’ve been offered one given his run of games.  I don’t think the injury is as bad as it was last time, so as Manilow mentioned, he may well be able to get a lot of the rehab done in the off season and potentially still be here next season 
    No one, as far as I can see, is.  The point is Lapslie, Reeves, Marshall, Morgan and Pratley played about 80 games between them.   We would have been better if JFC has played half of them.  That doesn't even include the games you could have played Aribo at 10, or Beilek as a center back and then slotted JFC into midfield.

He has shone this season and we will finish 6th-8th, he shined in 17/18 (3rd in POTY)  we finished 6th.

JFC gets a "bad press" because he isn't Josh Cullen. 
    He definitely doesn’t get a ‘bad press’.  He has been lauded on here by a lot of people, and highly praised on Valley Pass.  

It would’ve been interesting to see how he fitted in to that midfield of 2 seasons ago.  You make a good point.  I think he’ll still be here next season, as I feel Nigel likes him, his teammates like him and he’s a good pro.  Depending on the extent of the injury, I imagine he’ll be a regular.  Personally, if he’s a regular, I just don’t see us going up.  If we’re in a position of having him and Gilbey as the mainstays of the midfield, which I think they will be, then I’m not hopeful 
  • Very true. It does not feel like a complete rupture, else I'd have thought we would have heard about the operation. 

JFC being our player of the season is a good lesson when we sign a player who has been voted his Club's player of the season. It does not mean you will instantly get a player who is the complete package. 
  • Wow it is a real nightmare situation that all footballers (and clubs) must dread. At times like this Jake will be thankful for his, or the clubs, insurance policy. So we assume he will be okay financially until he is fit again. Then the club will be able to offer him a long term contract if he fits into their plans. I don't think Thomas will gamble on offering JFC a contract now because there is always the danger that he may never play again. I just hope he recovers okay and gets back to his top form because he is a tidy player, especially at tier 3 level.