Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your England Squad For This Summer (vs Romania page 27)

Comments

• Options
    Trippier is playing regularly for the best defence in world football. He has to go.
    Isnt he suspended for nine weeks though due to the betting offence... Or was that nine games?
    Originally a 10 week ban, then it was suspended because Atletico appealed, so he played a game, then it was reinstated, now Atletico have appealed to CAS so his ban may get suspended again.
  • Options
    What is the view on mason mount? Is he good enough? 
  • Options
    If I'm honest, I've never been his biggest fan. Always thought he was a decent player but not quite good enough to be top quality. However, I am slowly changing my mind as I've seen him put in a few top draw performances this season. Still wouldn't put him above Grealish or Foden, and if Maddison carries on adding a few goals he can directly compete with him for a place. Not sure I'd be taking all four of them due to similarities. Like RB it's an area where we starting to have real depth. 
  • Options
    If I'm honest, I've never been his biggest fan. Always thought he was a decent player but not quite good enough to be top quality. However, I am slowly changing my mind as I've seen him put in a few top draw performances this season. Still wouldn't put him above Grealish or Foden, and if Maddison carries on adding a few goals he can directly compete with him for a place. Not sure I'd be taking all four of them due to similarities. Like RB it's an area where we starting to have real depth. 

I really started to warm to Mount around October time and he has played well for England too. Probably been one of Chelsea's best players over the last couple of months too. A lot of my Chelsea mates feel the same, although from now until the end of the season is going to be really telling, with Lampard going and Tuchel in, there really is no guarantee he is going to play and needs to step up to the challenge. Lampard knew what he could do from their time together at Derby and Lampard would've likely enjoyed having at least somewhat of a reputation for bringing through young English players. I doubt this is on Tuchel's agenda, so big 5 months ahead for Mount now if he wants to be on the plane. Not a great start being left on the bench last night but time will tell on that one.

To be honest @cafcfan1990 I think four creative midfielders in a squad of 23 is fine, especially as Southgate is deploying Grealish as a forward and not in a deeper role. 
  • Options

To be honest @cafcfan1990 I think four creative midfielders in a squad of 23 is fine, especially as Southgate is deploying Grealish as a forward and not in a deeper role. 
    Just personal opinion. I'd go with a 4231 and so I'd take 8 attacking players. With Sterling, Sancho, Kane, DCL and Rashford, I'd then take 3 of those. Not sure the squad needs three of Foden, Mount and Maddison who are fairly similar. 
  • Options

Just personal opinion. I'd go with a 4231 and so I'd take 8 attacking players. With Sterling, Sancho, Kane, DCL and Rashford, I'd then take 3 of those. Not sure the squad needs three of Foden, Mount and Maddison who are fairly similar. 
    Would enjoy a 4231 just can't see it happening. I think its 4-3-3 or 5-2-3 just based on what Southgate has done in the past.

Could be a 4-3-3 with Foden, Rice and Mount with Grealish up top with Kane and Sterling.

Highly doubt Southgate has the minerals for that though...
  • Options
    Opinions on Mount are rapidly changing. Twitter is a cesspool, but it's also an interesting way to see what the general mob mentality is about a player. At the start of the season Chelsea Twitter was filled with 'fans' moaning that Mount was playing and calling him Lampard's son. Part of that was he isn't a winger so playing him out wide doesn't get that much out of him, and Lampard starting to play him deeper in midfield had a positive effect. He's been their most consistent performer this season though, and last night was primarily fans moaning that Tuchel had dropped Mount and not understanding why (and saying some pretty regrettable things about Jorginho). Mount is a manager's dream in terms of his work rate and he's good at forcing things in the final third. He's the player you want on the pitch at 0-0 or 0-1 down when you need a goal and things aren't working. He'll dig out a cross, smash a long rang shot that goes in or leads to a scramble and will keep driving the ball forwards. He's only just 22 and he has lots to work on but I can see him being a big part of what Southgate wants to do given his versatility. I don't think Maddison is likely to go because he's essentially a pure 10 and doesn't offer that much going the other way in a deeper role, so isn't the kind of player Southgate is as willing to work with
  • Options
    Opinions on Mount are rapidly changing. Twitter is a cesspool, but it's also an interesting way to see what the general mob mentality is about a player. At the start of the season Chelsea Twitter was filled with 'fans' moaning that Mount was playing and calling him Lampard's son. Part of that was he isn't a winger so playing him out wide doesn't get that much out of him, and Lampard starting to play him deeper in midfield had a positive effect. He's been their most consistent performer this season though, and last night was primarily fans moaning that Tuchel had dropped Mount and not understanding why (and saying some pretty regrettable things about Jorginho). Mount is a manager's dream in terms of his work rate and he's good at forcing things in the final third. He's the player you want on the pitch at 0-0 or 0-1 down when you need a goal and things aren't working. He'll dig out a cross, smash a long rang shot that goes in or leads to a scramble and will keep driving the ball forwards. He's only just 22 and he has lots to work on but I can see him being a big part of what Southgate wants to do given his versatility. I don't think Maddison is likely to go because he's essentially a pure 10 and doesn't offer that much going the other way in a deeper role, so isn't the kind of player Southgate is as willing to work with
    Yep I make you spot on with that one. If 3/4 creative midfielders we spoke about above are to go, Maddison would be the one to miss out I reckon.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Pope
    Pickford
    Henderson

Chillwell
    Mings
    Coady
    Maguire
    Stones
    Dier
    Walker
    Trippier
    Trent

Henderson
    Rice
    Mount
    Maddison
    Foden

Grealish
    Rashford
    Sancho
    Kane
    Sterling
    Saka

Just watch an Arsenal game and you'd know Saka should be one of the first names in the squad. He has been consistently quality all season long. Plays several positions too. LB/LM/LW/RW. 

• Options
    I thought one of Mounts best performances for England was when he was dropped back into the middle of the park. His passing in-between the lines is something that we miss when Rice and Henderson played together. Id definitely take him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought one of Mounts best performances for England was when he was dropped back into the middle of the park. His passing in-between the lines is something that we miss when Rice and Henderson played together. Id definitely take him.
    If Southgate plays 523 then I can see one of the two being someone like Mount. If he goes 4231 then he won't be brave enough not to play two relatively defensive CM's, particularly against someone half decent. 
  • Options
    100%, Foden and Grealish, maybe even Maddison, are far better attacking outlets. But Mount is a tidy player who can do well in the middle.
  • Options
    GK - Pope/Pickford, not decided on third choice, Henderson hasn't played enough. I'd probably just about choose him as a bit like Pope previously it will be good to get some tournament experience given he should be around for at least another decade. 

RB - Trent/James. Wan-Bissaka, Walker, Tripper, Justin, absolute outstanding depth here. 
    LB-  Chilwell/Shaw
    CB - Maguire, Keane, Stones, Mings
    CM - Henderson, Dier, Rice
    AM/Wingers - Foden, Grealish, Sancho, Sterling
    STR - Kane, DCL, Rashford

2 places up for grabs for me. Probably a CM and an attacking player. I'd probably have Mount, Saka and Maddison competing for one place, all three having good seasons. Phillips has been decent, wouldn't rule out James Ward-Prowse or even Ruben Loftus-Cheek. 
    Just a quick point, Dier is a CB, playing in Spurs defence week in week out. Although he can play in the middle, if he is going it would have to be as a Defender. Not sure we would play around with that anymore, he probably gets ahead of Keane. Gomez has the potential to be ahead of both imo 

Mount should be a shoe in, he has been Chelseas stand out player this season and really impressed lately in the England side imo.  

GK- Pope>Henderson>Pickford, I know Pickford likely to be Number one but i just dont really like him, although the last tournament he was one of our standouts. 
    RB: Wan Bassaka (defensive)/ Reece James (attacking) , i know Trent will be the starter but for me he needs to earn that has been disappointing for England and even lately for Liverpool. 
    LB: Chilwell/Shaw/ Targett (in two minds with Shaw i personally think Targett is having a great season and deserves a chance and alot more solid in defence than the others.
    CB: Mags/ Stones/ Gomez/ Dier, form dependent, possibly Coady for one but feels like he has dipped
    CDM - Henderson or Phillips or Rice (do not play more than one! pretty much like Prattley and Watson debate lol)
    CM/CAM - Mount/Foden Warde Prowse
    RM/RW - Sterling/ Sancho/Saka 
    LW- Grealish/Rashford
    ST- Kane/DCL/Vardy

Alot of the CM/RW/LW can pretty much cover alot of positions, for me a very exciting squad and hopefully we can find the best system. Saka for me is better RW based on watching alot this season same with a few others eg. Foden can literally play any of the CAM/RW/LW role probably CM too, becoming one of my fave players. 
  • Options
    Pope
    Pickford
    Henderson

Chillwell
    Mings
    Coady
    Maguire
    Stones
    Dier
    Walker
    Trippier
    Trent

Henderson
    Rice
    Mount
    Maddison
    Foden

Grealish
    Rashford
    Sancho
    Kane
    Sterling
    Saka

Just watch an Arsenal game and you'd know Saka should be one of the first names in the squad. He has been consistently quality all season long. Plays several positions too. LB/LM/LW/RW. 

Like it but can't see us taking just one out and out striker. Rashford is much more of a wide player these days. To be honest though, I would swap Coady out for DCL and then move Saka to a defenders spot for the sake of it looking neat :) 

Saka has been great this season and so versatile too like you say.
  • Options
    GK - Pope/Pickford, not decided on third choice, Henderson hasn't played enough. I'd probably just about choose him as a bit like Pope previously it will be good to get some tournament experience given he should be around for at least another decade. 

RB - Trent/James. Wan-Bissaka, Walker, Tripper, Justin, absolute outstanding depth here. 
    LB-  Chilwell/Shaw
    CB - Maguire, Keane, Stones, Mings
    CM - Henderson, Dier, Rice
    AM/Wingers - Foden, Grealish, Sancho, Sterling
    STR - Kane, DCL, Rashford

2 places up for grabs for me. Probably a CM and an attacking player. I'd probably have Mount, Saka and Maddison competing for one place, all three having good seasons. Phillips has been decent, wouldn't rule out James Ward-Prowse or even Ruben Loftus-Cheek. 
    Just a quick point, Dier is a CB, playing in Spurs defence week in week out. Although he can play in the middle, if he is going it would have to be as a Defender. Not sure we would play around with that anymore, he probably gets ahead of Keane. Gomez has the potential to be ahead of both imo 

Not disagreeing, I more put him as a CDM for the two players in each position argument. Against the better sides I don't think he's a bad option as a CM in a 4231 where he can drop into CB to make it a back 3. 

I think most are assuming Gomez won't be fit. Think very few (especially on here) would omit him from the squad if he was. 

• Options
    Laddick01 said:
    100%, Foden and Grealish, maybe even Maddison, are far better attacking outlets. But Mount is a tidy player who can do well in the middle.
    Maddison can’t even get into our team!!!

sorry!
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Pickford in goal (at least to start) as he seems at home in an England shirt. 

Back four is tough. Chilwell LB is about the only one I'm confident in starting and even he has defensive liabilities. Can't believe I'm saying it but I'd start James over TAA too. If we had a better CB pairing I'd maybe risk Trent but think James suits the way we'll play. CB's he'll probably go Maguire and whoever is in the best form hopefully.

Midfield is Henderson +2. This is where I'd like to see us go balls to the wall and play Foden and Mount in the easier games. Mount slightly deeper, Foden ahead.

Front 3 has to be Sterling, Kane, Grealish. Has a mixture of pace, power, and techincal ability. That could be the best attack in the tournament. 

I'd say we've really got to be looking at a Semi Final here. I can understand our defensive frailties set us back a little, but that is the most attacking talent we've had in an England side in ages. At worst go out in the Quarters, but go out trying to score goals.
    I think everyone would love to see that, but Southgates history doesn't exactly point to him being a manager willing to play exciting football
  • Options
    Pope
    Johnstone
    Pickford

Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Dier
    Keane/Mings
    Chilwell
    Saka
    Trippier
    A-A

Henderson
    Rice
    Foden
    Grealish
    Maddison
    Mount 

Sterling
    Sancho
    Rashford
    Kane
    Calvert Lewin
  • Options
    Stones and Maguire coming back into form for two successful clubs is massive for us. Changes instantly the perception of our centre back options IMO. Foden has the potential to be the young star of the tournament.

Rice has been immense for West Ham. Dier is reborn at centre back. Our right back reserve options would start for most countries.

Yep - I’m getting excited again.
  • Options
    Pope / Pickford

Trippier / TAA / James (embarrassment of riches)
    Shaw
    Stones
    Maguire

Henderson
    Rice
    Foden

Rashford
    Kane
    Sterling

SUBS (from): Pickford / Pope, D. Henderson, TAA/Trippier/James, Chilwell, Coady, Mings, Grealish, Sancho, Calvert-Lewin.............

Think if you play Henderson and Rice (who has been phenomenal for West Ham), then you can play all 4 of Rashford, Foden, Kane and Sterling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pope / Pickford

Shaw
    Stones
    Maguire

Henderson
    Rice
    Foden

Rashford
    Kane
    Sterling

SUBS (from): Pickford / Pope, D. Henderson, TAA/Trippier/James, Chilwell, Coady, Mings, Grealish, Sancho, Calvert-Lewin.............

Think if you play Henderson and Rice (who has been phenomenal for West Ham), then you can play all 4 of Rashford, Foden, Kane and Sterling.
    You can't leave Grealish out.

Been one of the top 5 players in the league this season.
  • Options
    Stones and Maguire coming back into form for two successful clubs is massive for us. Changes instantly the perception of our centre back options IMO. Foden has the potential to be the young star of the tournament.

Rice has been immense for West Ham. Dier is reborn at centre back. Our right back reserve options would start for most countries.

Dier isn't good enough at the top level.   He was embarrassingly bad midweek.  
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Dier isn't good enough at the top level.   He was embarrassingly bad midweek.  
    I think Stones and Maguire coming back to form means he won’t be needed at Cb anymore and he won’t get a midfield berth ahead of Henderson or Rice 
  • Options
    Pope / Pickford

Shaw
    Stones
    Maguire

Henderson
    Rice
    Foden

Rashford
    Kane
    Sterling

i think that's fair apart from i'd make sure I had Grealish in there 
  • Options
    And just when we think agreeing the best Charlton XI is nearly done, along comes the England squad to muddle through...
    Life as a footy fan doesn't get much harder than this !!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Pope / Pickford

Shaw
    Stones
    Maguire

Henderson
    Rice
    Foden

Rashford
    Kane
    Sterling

i think that's fair apart from i'd make sure I had Grealish in there 
    I tried a front six of Grealish, Henderson, Foden, Rashford, Kane, Sterling in my head...... but I couldn’t help but think it would make Kevin Keegans mid 90s Newcastle side look solid.
  • Options
    I don’t think Rashford has been good enough personally. I’d have Grealish, Sterling, Sancho and Foden infront of him at the moment.
  • Options
    Rashford also does well as an impact sub. Lethal running at tired legs.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I don’t think Rashford has been good enough personally. I’d have Grealish, Sterling, Sancho and Foden infront of him at the moment.
    Rashford has been better than Sancho.  Dortmund have struggled a lot without Haaland.

Sterling
    Keane
    Grealish

Foden
    Henderson
    Rice 

TAA
    Stones 
    Maguire
    Justin

Pope

For me

• Options
    By what standards are you judging whether he's been good enough?

Rashford has 16 goals in 35 games this season. In his best season (last year) he scored 22.