Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty - Signed for Luton for an undisclosed fee (p16)

Comments

• Options
    I can see it now

Doughty returns in Mid Feb, steps out of his first challenge after such a long lay off. Bowyer calls him out for it in the media and Doughty in the next game gets injured til the end of the season after going wholeheartedly into his next challenge. 
  • Options
    I agree. If we now get a fee of around a million and, a fair sell on, then he ought to go and make a fresh start.
    Loaning him back would create a further kind of player clutter and it's bad enough as it is.

• Options
    Loaning back would be for him to get fit for next season at his new club. At that same time, we can teach him a harsh lesson by offering our injury invoking services.
  • Options
    Joining Stoke to be Morgan Fox understudy! 
  • Options
    Not sure what to think of this. Find it strange given Bowyer's stance of not wanting to play players who refuse to sign new contracts. He was vocal in saying he thought Alfie should stay and develop with us, but now will be happy to give him games despite the fact he's leaving?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stoke’s Head of Recruitment is Millwall, started their News At Den fan site and wrote for the SLP / Southwark News up to about five years ago
  • Options
    Can we get Jordan Cousins back on loan as part of the deal too? Decent option at this level for the holding role. 
  • Options
    I think that's a great deal.

No real difference to getting the likes of Cullen or Beilek in on loan.

We know it's not going to be long term. They help push us to where we want to be and we say thanks very much and goodbye at the end of the season.
  • Options
    He doesn't wanna be here so fck him. If he's coming back April he'll likely only play what, 4 games or so? Lets not waste our time and resources on his rehab for a player who won't sign a contract. 
  • Options
    My initial thought was whether it was worth it, but if he does recover fully in the next 6-7 weeks, we would get 12-14 games out of him, plus possibly 3 more, so worth it. I like Dazzler’s suggestion too!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I think that's a great deal.

No real difference to getting the likes of Cullen or Beilek in on loan.

We know it's not going to be long term. They help push us to where we want to be and we say thanks very much and goodbye at the end of the season.
    Totally agree.

If we are in with a shout at the end of the season then I would want a fit Doughty in the squad rather than not. 
    For me Doughty adds something to the squad. If we forget his contract shenanigans, on his return to fitness, would I want to see him on the pitch, I'd say definitely. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My initial thought was whether it was worth it, but if he does recover fully in the next 6-7 weeks, we would get 12-14 games out of him, plus possibly 3 more, so worth it. I like Dazzler’s suggestion too!
    I reckon its more a case that none of the clubs had anyone decent to loan us. Or wanted to come to us. 
  • Options
    Michael O'Neill has to be one of the best (and most intelligent) managers in The Championship and would be very persuasive when talking with potential signings. On BBC Sounds there is a brilliant interview by Colin Murray in his "At home with..." series which is well worth a listen. Stoke are apparently at the limits of FFP but still have some expensive flops whose contracts are running out, so they will be in a better place financially next season.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Bournemouth easily the most attractive offer. On 1st season down parachute payments so should be able to afford decent wages, play an attacking style of football, a good chance of promotion to the PL AND a more attractive (and nearer) place to move to than Stoke or Glasgow
    Who plays for Bournemouth who might be worth taking in part exchange? 
    Simon Francis?
    Unattached but he wouldn't come back here after the bollocks he received from the brain dead clients the last time he was here.
    I was being facetious!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    It's a deal where all 3 parties get something out of it. 

Sounds like a good deal. Doesn’t affect the salary cap and is probably one of the better players in our team. If Doughty was match fit would be in the strongest 11? Absolutely.
  • Options
    What is best for the team?
    To me it is having Doughty available at a time when matches will come at 2 a week every week
  • Options
    Great deal for us 
    He doesn't want to stay so we get some money in for him. 
    Another player available if we have injury issues at the end of the season. 
    As he is U21 also means that he doesn't count towards the dreaded wage cap. 

• Options
    Is it hypocritical from Bowyer after formerly criticising those who won’t sign (and openly declaring they won’t play), or is there some caveat to that policy? For example, perhaps he thinks what we’re able to offer Doughty isn’t reasonable, whereas others were offered decent wages?

just a thought, as this seems odd to me after such a principled stance previously. 
  • Options
    fmaddick said:
    Is it hypocritical from Bowyer after formerly criticising those who won’t sign (and openly declaring they won’t play), or is there some caveat to that policy? For example, perhaps he thinks what we’re able to offer Doughty isn’t reasonable, whereas others were offered decent wages?

just a thought, as this seems odd to me after such a principled stance previously. 
    Think Bows is doing what's best for the club - dont see a problem with that. 

Club has sold him - he isn't our player so what's the problem with playing him as a loan if we need him ? 

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    cafctom said:
    Ha! Expect some tunes to change very quickly now about the ‘lack of loyalty’, when Alfie was the one who stated he was keen to finish the season with us....
    No change of tune for me. This is like getting a final BJ from the missus who's eloping with the window cleaner. 
    Great analogy!