Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty - Signed for Luton for an undisclosed fee (p16)

Comments

• Options
    We've always been a selling club, and probably always will be, even more so as we've been on a downward trajectory for some times.

Wages have got out of hand at the top level , the sooner we get out of this division the better, just means we'll get bigger transfer fees under a stable , well run ship ( thats my hope anyway!)
  • Options
    Share the views @AFKABartram. Seems like you're holding your thoughts back a bit?
  • Options
    Agent fees now count towards the salary cap. Hopefully that results in less agent interference in the lower leagues moving forward 
  • Options
    If Alfie doesn't sign he is an idiot or rather his 'adviser' is.

Pace is the thing that makes him special and now his hamstring's twanged will he have lost it or be subject to further hamstring injuries once he switches on the after burners?

Someone should tell him the tale of Danny Haynes.
  • Options
    One of the biggest downers of the last few years is how quickly any half decent kid can’t wait to get away from the club. Leaves me cold and I don’t feel a single bit of affiliation with any of them once they’ve gone (Gomez, Lookman, Phillips, Aribo etc). Made in Charlton my arse. 

I can understand the first two a little bit, the others though much less. Looks like Doughty can’t wait to join the latter. 
    Lookman was signed at 16 and sold at 19.
    Aribo was signed at 19 and sold at 22.

I know we gave them both their chance in pro football but i certainly don't consider either of them to have been 'made in Charlton'.

Gomez and Phillips i do, as they were here from a young age even before they both started secondary school i think.
  • Options
    Sadly I don’t think it is the players choice to leave anymore it is more of the case that their agent sells them the dream to earn them a few quid and once they are sat in the reserves gets them another deal with Lookman a prime example
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    ross1 said:
    Happy 21st birthday to Addicks academy graduate, @alfiedoughty4 #cafc

I really don't like that picture. A want away player grinning and pointing straight at us fans isn't a good look.
  • Options
    One of the biggest downers of the last few years is how quickly any half decent kid can’t wait to get away from the club. Leaves me cold and I don’t feel a single bit of affiliation with any of them once they’ve gone (Gomez, Lookman, Phillips, Aribo etc). Made in Charlton my arse. 

I can understand the first two a little bit, the others though much less. Looks like Doughty can’t wait to join the latter. 
    Unfortunately the result of, up until TS took over, being a stupendously badly run club.
    To a degree, but I don’t fully buy that personally.
    But for years now we haven't really been an attractive proposition to play for. We have bounced around league 1 and the lower end of the championship. We've had badly managed contracts for our best players which have seen them run them down or in a few cases get sold for a fraction of what we should have got for them.

Unfortunately the likes of Doughty, Aribo and Poyet are just examples of modern day footballers and the agents in their ears. They just see the pound notes and even if its not always the best move footballing wise. Even Phillips is now just a bench  warmer at Cardiff.

If however we as a club had been managed properly we would likely be a top end championship club and have a better chance of either keeping our best young talent or selling them for what is more like their true value.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He might never be the same player after his hammy anyway. Cash in and bring in someone who wants to be here. 

Think some of these youngsters need to have a think about their agents, and if they've really got their best, footballing interests at heart.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    He might never be the same player after his hammy anyway. Cash in and bring in someone who wants to be here. 

Think some of these youngsters need to have a think about their agents, and if they've really got their best, footballing interests at heart.
    probably why his agent is trying to cash in ... if the injury does have an impact, it's his last chance to make money out of Doughty
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Croydon said:

Maybe the youngsters don’t care as much about the footballing side as players used to. Increased wages asap is more important. I’m not saying this is how Doughty is thinking by the way. 
  • Options
    I’m sure I read somewhere that TS loves watching him play. Maybe TS might be able to persuade him to stay?
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Aside from Dillion Phillips, you could argue that the agents are doing the best for their clients.

Gomez went to Liverpool, has won trophies and plays for England.
    Konsa to Brentford and now Villa.
    Pope to Burnley and the England squad.
    Aribo went to the top of the SPL and plays regularly in Europe and is now an international.
    Grant went to Huddersfield and now West Brom.
    Taylor went to Forest who are in a higher division.
    Dijksteel to Boro who are in a higher division.

Can't really argue against the fact that all of them are doing better than we are.

Fans obviously get a bit carried away and annoyed when the latest promising youngster leaves for bigger things, but no one gives a shit when players like Maloney, Hackett-Fairchild and Umerah end up in non league.
    From a fans perspective, it’s the where could we be if these talented youngsters had stayed and all played together. Understandable why some of them left considering the shocking ownership we were stuck under though. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Aside from Dillion Phillips, you could argue that the agents are doing the best for their clients.

Gomez went to Liverpool, has won trophies and plays for England.
    Konsa to Brentford and now Villa.
    Pope to Burnley and the England squad.
    Aribo went to the top of the SPL and plays regularly in Europe and is now an international.
    Grant went to Huddersfield and now West Brom.
    Taylor went to Forest who are in a higher division.
    Dijksteel to Boro who are in a higher division.

Can't really argue against the fact that all of them are doing better than we are.

Fans obviously get a bit carried away and annoyed when the latest promising youngster leaves for bigger things, but no one gives a shit when players like Maloney, Hackett-Fairchild and Umerah end up in non league.
    From a fans perspective, it’s the where could we be if these talented youngsters had stayed and all played together. Understandable why some of them left considering the shocking ownership we were stuck under though. 
    Yes true but people are blaming the agents for players moving on. It's not the agents fault that we were a shit show for years.

Arseholes like Mino Raiola constantly sniping to the press about Pogba wanting away, when he's at one of the worlds biggest clubs and has been underperforming for years are the worst of agents. But for me an agent getting a young player a move out of a league one club and into a higher division is just common sense.
  • Options
    I think Shelvey wanted to do right by Charlton. I have always liked and respected him for that. 
    This. Jonjo genuinely loved the club. I think his Uncle used to be on CL as well and seemed a good guy. I did ask TS on Linked In before he bought the club to sign Alfie on a new contract as one of the first things he should do. His words were 'He's not going anywhere'. This was probably before the salary cap was agreed by the L1 clubs. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

“But we have to be strong. There are certain conversations going on that are probably a bit harsh, but that’s the way negotiations go.”

I’m glad we’re not allowing the agent to be the bully he wants to be. If he’s promised Doughty a certain level of football and a specific weekly wage elsewhere, then he’s also going to have to promise we are paid now and in the future for what we’ve developed Doughty in to. 
  • Options
    No happy birthday from me. Lack of loyalty, nothing more nothing less.
  • Options
    If we don’t sell him I wonder if his hamstring will never be quite right for a return for us this season ? 
  • Options
    So much for loyalty! 

Get a few quid for him and leave if he doesn’t want to be at Charlton.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Loyalty is a very rare commodity in football, even more so these days, don’t knock yourselves out over it. Not worth the hassle.
  • Options
    Alfie who..... bollocks to him, he could easily sign and have a contract clause inserted re any bid above a certain £ figure can trigger a move, win for him, win for his agent, win for us. He’s playing a dangerous game, a dodgy hamstring = a stuttering career going forward. 

Yes I know Stoke or whoever guarantee better wages but it could be very short term and a better lucrative move in say 18 months might offer better financial benefits for him. Short term vs Long term.
  • Options
    We barely even miss him, Bowyer tells me there’s another 21 players in the squad that can tactically play as left wingers to counter oppositions speedy right backs
  • Options
    Swings and roundabouts....we have a young player in Lapslie who is a Charlton fan and would love to play and stay but we are letting him go and then Alfie a Millwall fan who wants to go and not play again for us. Send Alfie on his bike as long as we get a decent fee and sell on. Let's take care of George make sure he gets what he wants with a sell on and wish him well. It a tough business but let's respect the loyalty for the club. We are moving on to better things and there will be tough decisions along the way. All part of the TS journey.