Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty - Signed for Luton for an undisclosed fee (p16)

Comments

• Options
    Has had a setback in his recovery from injury

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alfie-doughty-stoke-city-injury-5308519

Seems Stoke were hoping he'd appear before the end of the season but has suffered a foot injury
  • Options
    Strong Ju-Ju that Charltonisation thingy...
  • Options
    Good thing he isn't still on our books really, would have been a waste of 4 months worth of wages
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Good thing he isn't still on our books really, would have been a waste of 4 months worth of wages
    Would've liked him to stay and sign a new deal but given the injury and his willingness to leave, it was a complete no brainer to take a fee for him and say goodbye.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Who?
  • Options
    Almost forgot he even played for us already 
    Likewise. It was almost like he was on loan to us for a season, got injured and then he was gone. Personally, and I might get pelters for this, but he just got the ball knocked it past people and then ran very fast..... 
    I agree mate. Alot of potential there but not what we need at the moment so as long as we have a decent sell on clause let someone else take the chance imo. Plus I can see him being out for quite a while
  • Options
    Likewise. It was almost like he was on loan to us for a season, got injured and then he was gone. Personally, and I might get pelters for this, but he just got the ball knocked it past people and then ran very fast..... 
    Blew hot and cold like any winger in terms of performance and decision making, finishing was very sporadic

Bit of a Theo Walcott type player

Remember him being outstanding in his final game against Northampton for us and think he'd have been a nightmare against some of the lower teams in this Division - at the same time I remember him being invisible against Doncaster
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That was his main attribute, a hamstring tear was probably the worst injury he could have suffered. 
  • Options
    That pace could be very effective though, especially at this level where he had goals and assists in him.

The quickest players don’t tend to have a good all round game but then they don’t need to do well. Those that do don’t play for clubs like us or Stoke.

Clearly he’s not in the class of players like Gomez, Shelvey and Lookman, but if he can get fit again, avoid too many injuries and retain his pace he’ll have a good career. Fox and Cousins are competing in the Championship, he should at least do the same and could potentially do more than that.

If fit I’d rather have him in our squad than not. He’s better suited and more threatening  in one of the front 3 wide roles than Maatsen and Washington.
  • Options
    Which is a pretty decent attribute to have especially in away games on the counter, but won't be much use when he plays against teams who sit deep
  • Options
    He was fantastically fast. Less effective when we lost our other faster players to keep up with him.

Did the defensive stuff really well imo.
  • Options
    Here's the first 14 games of the season:

As you can see we got 13 points from the first 7 and 13 points from the next 7.

We scored 7 goals with him in the side, conceding 5. +2GD (5 clean sheets)

We scored 10 goals, conceding 8 with him out of the side +2GD (3 clean sheets)

I'd argue he was more beneficial in defending than attacking.
  • Options
    Never really rated him to be honest, crossing was average, first touch was poor, pacy but always looked awkward on ball and was all left foot.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Alfie Doughty's career in first team football was just starting. Playing him on the right just negated his speed. What is the latest on his injury because Danny Haynes always springs to mind with pacey players and hamstring problems in their careers.

I hope losing players like Doughty so early in their careers stop under Thomas Sandgaard, unless they are Joe Gomez class and we won't have any choice unless we are already in the Premier !

Ps. I know he could still sprint down the right wing but the cross he put in was so far away from our strikers that an opposition defender put the ball in the net for Cafc in one match.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I agree mate. Alot of potential there but not what we need at the moment so as long as we have a decent sell on clause let someone else take the chance imo. Plus I can see him being out for quite a while
    I know he’s injured but he’s plainly much better than Millar and DJ. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    AndyG said:
    Quicker sure, but better?
    Absolutely better ! One of those players who got you excited when he got the ball. Millar's decision making is terrible and DJ seems to be lacking confidence. 
  • Options
    I too had forgotten all about him till this thread had popped up, hope he can get his career back on track.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    AndyG said:

Doughty
    P51 - all comps, 6 goals, 5 assists.

Millar 
    P20 - 2 goals, 5 assists this season.

Jaiyesimi 
    P29 - 5 goals, 4 assists this season.
    Mostly in the championship and a lot of games at full back or wing back in a crap team. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    AndyG said:

Doughty
    P51 - all comps, 6 goals, 5 assists.

Millar 
    P20 - 2 goals, 5 assists this season.

Jaiyesimi 
    P29 - 5 goals, 4 assists this season.
    Mostly in the championship and a lot of games at full back or wing back in a crap team. 
    I think some of Doughty's are Non league though
  • Options
    Millar will never play top level, far too one dimensional and doesn’t have a footballing brain. 
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    Millar will never play top level, far too one dimensional and doesn’t have a footballing brain. 
    I know he looks about 45, but he is actually only 21, and is playing his second full season of 'mens football'.

He clearly has a lot of raw talent, and still has plenty of time to develop if he can. Not sure we should be writing him off just yet. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    AndyG said:
    I'm not sure that's correct mate imo. He has potential yes but that's about it. He hasnt proven anything yet. My point was I think it was good business to let him go when we did and let someone else take the risk if it works out we have a decent sell on I presume. All he showed to me mostly was that he can run fast he hadnt developed any end product that I could see
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    wmcf123 said:
    AndyG said:
    I'm not sure that's correct mate imo. He has potential yes but that's about it. He hasnt proven anything yet. My point was I think it was good business to let him go when we did and let someone else take the risk if it works out we have a decent sell on I presume. All he showed to me mostly was that he can run fast he hadnt developed any end product that I could see
     He’s achieved very little, given that he hasn’t played a full season.  Not sure Millar and DJ have achieved anything either
  • Options
    Good to see him back playing and whilst a goal is a goal... It wasn't a "sweet" strike at all really!