Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alfie Doughty - Signed for Luton for an undisclosed fee (p16)

Comments

• No agent has screwed Charlton over here.  An agent represents the player, not the club.  Their job is to do the best by the player.  Some players will be driven by money, others by playing prospects or geography etc. 

Stoke are a division above us, with great owners who are probably 10x richer than TS, PL parachute money, good infrastructure and a decent manager in decent form.  They seem an ideal place for someone like Alfie.  He has already proved himself in the Championship too so can realistically expect to go there and compete for minutes immediately he is fit.

He will get a significant pay rise that will secure his future.  An agent would not be doing a very good for his client if he did not recommend this move imo.  

It is sad to see him go and my immediate reaction was disappointment at Alfie, but tbf he came through our youth and signed a contract so we can get a return with both time on the pitch and money.

Fans should save their ire for the multitude of young players who come through, soak up the education and jog on before ever signing a contract - Abraham and Sarmiento being the last two after the likes of Defoe, JLSamuel and others before them.

Those that point to Gomez doing more to protect Charlton, I would be interested to know the differences, as I see it,they both came through the youth team, both signed one contract (although Joe and his agent insisted on a low ball buy out clause) and Alfiie then played 50% more games for us.

100% spot on.
  • No agent has screwed Charlton over here.  An agent represents the player, not the club.  Their job is to do the best by the player.  Some players will be driven by money, others by playing prospects or geography etc. 

Stoke are a division above us, with great owners who are probably 10x richer than TS, PL parachute money, good infrastructure and a decent manager in decent form.  They seem an ideal place for someone like Alfie.  He has already proved himself in the Championship too so can realistically expect to go there and compete for minutes immediately he is fit.

He will get a significant pay rise that will secure his future.  An agent would not be doing a very good for his client if he did not recommend this move imo.  

It is sad to see him go and my immediate reaction was disappointment at Alfie, but tbf he came through our youth and signed a contract so we can get a return with both time on the pitch and money.

Fans should save their ire for the multitude of young players who come through, soak up the education and jog on before ever signing a contract - Abraham and Sarmiento being the last two after the likes of Defoe, JLSamuel and others before them.

Those that point to Gomez doing more to protect Charlton, I would be interested to know the differences, as I see it,they both came through the youth team, both signed one contract (although Joe and his agent insisted on a low ball buy out clause) and Alfiie then played 50% more games for us.
    Come on, you're hoping for a free bet aren't you? :-)
    Haha.  As the world's worst gambler I am the best person to give a free bet too as I never win them.
  • edited January 2021
    ct_addick said:
    TS told me he wasnt going anywhere when he took over the club
    Pretty sure he didn't mean ever, he likely just meant in the summer when Celtic were sniffing around.

I also don't think we'd have let him go if he was fully fit and had been a key part of the team playing every week. The fact that he's injured for the rest of the season means it's a no brainer to get what we can for him now.
  • It's a risk signing an injured player. Doughty's main asset is his pace and it's unclear what the effect of his injury will be in the long term. 

Come on, @Athletico Charlton, you're taking this vilification thread right off topic by talking absolute sense.

I dont blame Alfie one bit. He hasn't screwed us over by going to Scotland at the end of the season for buttons, ensuring we get some kind of fee and as you say, securing his future to a decent extent, and who can blame him? His current injury will reinforce to him, as if he didnt already know, that it's a precarious career and opportunities are there to be taken. Were we in the champ and not shackled by a wage cap then he might well have signed on again, but promotion now looks way less than 50/50 and we arent in a position to offer him much bigger money.
    I just hope there's a decent sell on clause.

• Doughty has done nothing wrong whatsoever if you expect players to be loyal you’re living in a dream world, or one of years gone by.  Probably trebled his wages because there’s certainly no guarantee we’ll go up.  Try telling a 21 year old he should not move jobs cos “loyalty” ffs.

That said, he’s a millwall slag so if it doesn’t work out for him, as another poster said I will lose no sleep whatsoever. 

Another thing to remember is Cawley said this move was a bit of hangover from previous regimes, in other words, the dicks that ran us before TS didn’t do anything to get his contract sorted.  Hopefully this is the last of the youngsters going for next to nothing. 

Onwards and upwards, we move on.
  • Sponsored links:

• By selling to Bet365 at such a low price I hope that we have hedged our bets with a sell on percentage and an appearance clause.
    The agent for Doughty, who was apparently also the agent for  Phillips should be identified and subject to a Prague style portfolio. We have to have a way of stopping the pariahs who prey on the uncommercial youngsters and their parents.
    Even more respect for Joe Gomez and his parents now.
    Great point, would love to know who the agents are that have been screwing Charlton over, and who they represent at the club at the moment.

You could almost predict then who is next on their ‘cash in’ list.
    Scott Barron 

You say that but the way Scott Barron conducts himself is questionable, recent quotes from Bowyer indicating he was giving the club 24hrs to accept an offer or he will take Alfie cross border! That indicates an agent that yeah might be looking out for his clients interests but also his own. 
  • Headline in the sports pages of the Stoke guardian.

Fox or Doughty.
  • seth plum said:
    I am labouring under the assumption that there is a sell on.
    Sure is. It’s an overnight stay in the Stoke Premier inn, with the bonus of Lenny Henry plumping your pillows. 
  • seth plum said:
    I am labouring under the assumption that there is a sell on.
    Sure is. It’s an overnight stay in the Stoke Premier inn, with the bonus of Lenny Henry plumping your pillows. 
    That really made me lol you slaaag
  • I don't like the way football is run nowadays, the way clubs can develop players for 10 years then get a pittance

However it does beg the question why we always seem to be the victim of this? When was the last time we signed a talented youngster for a pittance, that the other club wanted to keep?
  • Josh Davison the most recent I can think of. A bit further back... Joe Aribo, Nick Pope... plenty of others in between probably.
  • Sponsored links:

• None of those examples - Davison, Bonne, Aribo, Pope, Lookman - are equivalent to us losing someone like Doughty that had been at our academy for a long time. 

These are players who had never been in an EFL academy like Aribo or Lookman that we picked up from a low level or players who had been released by an EFL club that again we picked up from either a non league club (Pope, Davison) or bought from an league club (Bonne). In the cases of Aribo, Lookman, Pope and Davison the other club would have been pleased that the player was making a step up, knowing that the player was too good for that level. No agents would have been poking around either.

What I'm talking about is a player who comes through an academy at another club but refuses to extend their contract and either joins us when the contract expires (as with how Poyet left us) or for a fee in January when they have only 6 months left (as with how Doughty and Grant left us). Or refuses to sign a contract aged 16 at all...

I've never seen a story along the lines of

Cambridge United manager Sid Smith is frustrated at losing star youngster Jonny Goals to Charlton Athletic in the January window. Goals was out of contract in June, and had refused to sign an extension. 

"We offered him a great contract, but then his agent got involved, and there was no chance of getting him to sign it, especially once Charlton Athletic showed an interest. We can't compete with the wages they can pay. I wish the lad well, but I'm fed up of the big clubs taking advantage of us. They've got an absolute bargain in Jonny."
  • Haven’t seen a charlton player in a while who could impact a game single handedly like alfie ie Leeds game where we were shit but he could have scored 2 goals on his own with breakaways. That’s why I am pissed off about this. 
  • None of those examples - Davison, Bonne, Aribo, Pope, Lookman - are equivalent to us losing someone like Doughty that had been at our academy for a long time. 

These are players who had never been in an EFL academy like Aribo or Lookman that we picked up from a low level or players who had been released by an EFL club that again we picked up from either a non league club (Pope, Davison) or bought from an league club (Bonne). In the cases of Aribo, Lookman, Pope and Davison the other club would have been pleased that the player was making a step up, knowing that the player was too good for that level. No agents would have been poking around either.

What I'm talking about is a player who comes through an academy at another club but refuses to extend their contract and either joins us when the contract expires (as with how Poyet left us) or for a fee in January when they have only 6 months left (as with how Doughty and Grant left us). Or refuses to sign a contract aged 16 at all...

I've never seen a story along the lines of

Cambridge United manager Sid Smith is frustrated at losing star youngster Jonny Goals to Charlton Athletic in the January window. Goals was out of contract in June, and had refused to sign an extension. 

"We offered him a great contract, but then his agent got involved, and there was no chance of getting him to sign it, especially once Charlton Athletic showed an interest. We can't compete with the wages they can pay. I wish the lad well, but I'm fed up of the big clubs taking advantage of us. They've got an absolute bargain in Jonny."
    Let's face it, if we signed a young shit hot Jonny Goals from anyone he would only be in the building a few weeks before we realised his middle two names were Missing and Open.
  • SamB09 said:
    From Bromley to Stoke in just over a year.  Can’t help but think he should of proved himself a bit more, i mean 29 apps and 2 goals last season is hardly pulling up trees. 

Hope he does go on to do well though.
    I don't wish him ill but his career is now of no interest to me at all.
  • YESSSSSS We’ve only gone and signed Jonny Goals!!!!
  • Fumbluff said:
    YESSSSSS We’ve only gone and signed Jonny Goals!!!!
    Its not on the official web site so shouldn't this be put on the rumours thread.
  • Fumbluff said:
    Is he the younger sibling of Gary Goals?
  • Charwill said:
    Be interesting to see him play against us next season!
    Stoke won't be relegated.
  • Fumbluff said:
    As long as we don't sign his centre-half cousin Owen....
  • Scored last night on his debut coming on as a sub in the second half