Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    We need a reliable striker that can play three games a week and either get a number of goals or contribute significantly to the team.  Let's be honest, Bogle and Smyth have contributed very little.  Personally, I would recall Davison as well.
    I asked the question a couple of weeks ago and was told that we won’t be recalling Davison as we want to buy a striker. 

I asked if it was Schwartz and what I got back was “look out for January 1st”. 
    I’m not doubting you but wasn’t Schwartz a done deal is September but the never materialised. What has changed?
    I asked the same question at the time and apparently he thought he could remain in Denmark and work his way back into the team. That hasn’t happened so he’s now happy to make the move (apparently). 

It was essentially done last time before he got cold feet and said no at the last minute, much to everyone’s disappointment. I’d be shocked if he’s not here at the start of January. 

They’re overhauling the entire club, from scouting to the academy. The most exciting titbit I can share is “if you like what you’ve seen so far then wait for next  season, it will blow your mind”. Whatever that means, I don’t know - but it sounds good! 
    He must of done something to piss his club off though if they are not playing him. I'm not sure of the standard over there the league he has been playing in is it similar to league one or championship over here ?
  • Options
    but I don't like what I have seen so far this season, the football is uninspiring with too much sideways/backwards passing and little wing play
    Only really since Alfie and now Smyth are injured.  We now have no wide players or pace hence looking so flat.
    Indeed. But how Bowyer looked at his midfield options last week of Watson, Pratley, Morgan, JFC, Gilbey and Williams and thought 442 with Gilbey LM and JFC RM was the way to go is beyond me. 

Appreciate the injuries have left us with little pace, just means that 442 is a no go for the timebeing. 
    442 is an option but it'd have to be Morgan and Williams out wide, and only one of Pratley and Watson in the middle.
  • Options
    @ElliotCAFC speak da truuuuuwth
    Agree 100%
  • Options
    Thank you ElliottCAFC - excellent post. Congratulations you have restored an element of sanity and saved people from one of my lengthy tomes. People are entitled to their opinions but such was the almost endless repetitive negativity this board was becoming unreadable. 
    So true, the forum has become very toxic and not good for my mental health!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    but I don't like what I have seen so far this season, the football is uninspiring with too much sideways/backwards passing and little wing play
    Surely this is a windup. Do you not remember how ruined the club was just a few months ago? We've just gone from the EFL's biggest basket case to a well-run club with a wealthy, ambitious owner who genuinely cares. Not only does he care, so does his family. 

The football for a few games hasn't been anything to write home about but come on mate, a bit of perspective is needed here. We're 6th in League One and we're disappointed, that goes to show how well the club is being run right now. This season isn't make or break, we don't need to be promoted at the first attempt, it's about building strong foundations to get up the leagues. 

Rest assured Thomas Sandgaard will do everything one can do to get us playing beautiful football, but that takes time. The club has been on life-support for years, it's now finally in recovery. I'm very excited for the future, I don't particularly care about this season - COVID has ruined any chances of us properly enjoying a promotion anyway. Let's give TS and Lee a full pre-season together before we judge either too harshly.
    Omg spot on, the pathetic moaning this last week has been...pathetic.
    Sorry, I forgot I should just put up with watching dreary, slow, ponderous football instead of the attractive, exciting stuff that TS says that he likes. My bad. 

• Options
    2 proper wingers and a striker please
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Only really since Alfie and now Smyth are injured.  We now have no wide players or pace hence looking so flat.
    Indeed. But how Bowyer looked at his midfield options last week of Watson, Pratley, Morgan, JFC, Gilbey and Williams and thought 442 with Gilbey LM and JFC RM was the way to go is beyond me. 

Appreciate the injuries have left us with little pace, just means that 442 is a no go for the timebeing. 
    442 is an option but it'd have to be Morgan and Williams out wide, and only one of Pratley and Watson in the middle.
    Not convinced either of them could play out wide in a 422 personally. Gilbey certainly can't, two poor games out there. Only one I would be happy with is Maatsen LM with Purrington LB. 
  • Options
    I suppose our only chance of getting Cullen back would be promotion to the champo ? 
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    We were so spoilt with Cullen. Could play DM and CM equally well which was fantastic.

He also was very mobile. Not quick but could hold his own in those wide areas, whereas Gilbey looks totally lost every time he strays from the centre.

How a championship club didn’t try and snap Cullen up I’ll never know
    He injected energy into the midfield which I think we are missing at the moment. 
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    We were so spoilt with Cullen. Could play DM and CM equally well which was fantastic.

He also was very mobile. Not quick but could hold his own in those wide areas, whereas Gilbey looks totally lost every time he strays from the centre.

How a championship club didn’t try and snap Cullen up I’ll never know.
    If it wasn’t for the cap I have a feeling he might still be with us now, if not we may have got him in January. Can’t imagine he’s on anything less than 5 grand at Anderlecht, maybe next season. 
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-lee-bowyer-has-his-say-on-next-months-transfer-window/

I read that as at least one of our loans is going back. Almost certainly Famewo and possibly Levvitt too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-lee-bowyer-has-his-say-on-next-months-transfer-window/

I read that as at least one of our loans is going back. Almost certainly Famewo and possibly Levvitt too.
    I'd say its more Levitt than Famewo... Bet Man Utd were hoping he'd get a lot more game time than what has happened
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:

I think bowyer is just being cautious because of what happened with Gallagher last year and is planning for all eventualities. The positive is that anyone being recalled will be replaced 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    We're more than covered with players who create chances and forward play from midfield? Especially with Shinnie injured?
  • Options
    And we don’t need Levitt anyway. I hope the lad goes onto have a decent career but we’re more than covered with his type of player. I think we’ll spend our budget on a striker and look to replace Levitt with a U21 loan. 
    Gotta agree with this. It would've been interesting to see him play more of a part but we simply don't need him or extra cover of that position. At the minute he's not adding anything, and the loan spot that he's occupying currently I think all of us could agree could be used more appropriately.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    We're more than covered with players who create chances and forward play from midfield? Especially with Shinnie injured?
    No, but I don’t think Levitt does that. He passes sideways, an area we have mastered. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    No, but I don’t think Levitt does that. He passes sideways, an area we have mastered. 
    He looks to get it forward. He was criticised against Sunderland for passing too ambitiously and losing it
    Didn’t look to get it forward against Northampton or Plymouth when I saw him.