Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• I must admit now that I understand that Lindsay is left footed ( thanks guys ) I would see him as an alternative to Fanewo rather than cover for Inniss . 
  • Where did the Lindsey rumour come from? I don’t think we’re actually in for him, someone just mentioned his name on here as an idea and it’s stuck. 

He’d be a great signing, but I can’t see any way that we can get him with the sort of wages he’s on. Even if Stoke didn’t want him and are happy to loan him out, there’s the likes of Luton, Wycombe, Barnsley, etc. who are higher in the pecking order than us and can pay a higher percentage of his current wage. 

If the stars align and we sell Doughty to Stoke and they’re happy to loan us Lindsey in return, will he really want to move away from his family during another national lockdown? 
  • edited January 2021
    Nixon may have the Lindsay part spot on - for once. Him being part of a swap deal was always less likely than a fee or sell on clause.

He’s (Nixon) a Partick Thistle fan if I remember right and that’s where Lindsay started his career. Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s one area where he does have connections.
  • edited January 2021
    Lindsay was a message board idea/rumour from here. 
  • For the hundreds of fans that are blocked for calling Nixon out on his constant nonsense, could people screenshot his tweets and put them in here as well please :) 
  • Chunes said:
    Nixon snorting his 8ball and writing tweets again.

• mendonca said:
    just what i was going to say.  If people have rumours please provide a link to it.
    Anyway Stoke play with three C/B's so will need at least 5 in squad.
    Having said that i would not mind him- we were after him before he joined Barnsley.
  • mendonca said:
    just what i was going to say.  If people have rumours please provide a link to it.
    Anyway Stoke play with three C/B's so will need at least 5 in squad.
    Having said that i would not mind him- we were after him before he joined Barnsley.
    Not if they've got a Pratley or Gunter!!!
  • Still not seen it explained how under the conditions of the wage cap we could even contemplate signing Lindsay. I think this rumour originated as just that a suggestion and now it seems it’s become main stream. Can’t see it.
  • I don't see what the harm was in throwing Lindsay's name into the mix in this thread which says Transfer Targets not Transfer Rumours. Stoke's purported interest in Doughty could possibly involve some sort of player swap especially as a CB is aproblem area with injuries and Oshilaja out of favour.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    Still not seen it explained how under the conditions of the wage cap we could even contemplate signing Lindsay. I think this rumour originated as just that a suggestion and now it seems it’s become main stream. Can’t see it.
    Stoke could pay his wages in a loan deal? At the moment the lad is getting splinters in his backside, a loan move would not only give him game time but put him in the shop window if Stoke are looking to move him on. If I was Gallen that's the negotiating stance I'd be taking.
  • I have no problem with Doughty moving on if we feel the deal is beneficial to us - and in beneficial to us i would say that means getting a good, fit, ready to go player in exchange now and putting a big sell on clause in place. 
  • edited January 2021
    Chunes said:
    Davo55 said:
    How long was his first contract at Charlton - 2 years?  Comes through our academy soaking up free tuition, gets given his chance of first team football early, spends 50% of his contract getting paid whilst injured.  Refuses to sign a new one.  Thanks for the memories Alfie.
    Spot on. Young players like Doughty showing a complete lack of loyalty to the club that's developed them pisses me off more than most things in football.
    Never really understand this argument.  My bro in law just finished his apprenticeship at Ford, how long does he have to stay there out of loyalty then?  

Footballers aren’t supporters, they treat their club the same way we treat our employers, they move when bigger money and opportunities come along.
    How can you compare Ford with your football club

I don't suppose Ford picked your brother out of a kids team of child automobile workers and took a chance on him, trained him up for free for X amount of years, gave him his first job, or that Ford has a history of depending upon raising these kids and getting fees for them for survival?

Why are some so willing to embrace the increasing soullessness of our sport
    Football has become "soulless" but that cuts both ways.

For every Doughty there will be a dozen kids who have committed their young lives to becoming pros but are let go. That's all they ever wanted to do. They've travelled the country, made personal sacrifices to not go out with their mates and possibly even allowed their academic work to suffer as a result.

Or someone like Lapslie who is being told he isn't good enough. And he's a fan. But who really cares enough about him? Apart from those close to him probably very few.

I don't see many threads about how unfair we have treated them but plenty about how selfish a young player is in leaving the club or refusing to sign a contract for less than he might command in a career that will probably only last another 10 years or so.

The other point is that football is now, more than ever, a business. Doughty is a commodity or an investment. A commodity that has been mismanaged in the sense that the Club failed to secure him on a long term contract. As it did with Grant, Phillips etc etc. If it had managed the situation correctly then we might be talking about millions rather than hundreds of thousands for Doughty and it is that money which keeps a club going. And with most investments some go down in value and others go up but if you fail to look after that commodity the value will only go one way.

We have very few saleable assets left now. If we are so attached to these academy boys perhaps we should be asking the question why they have virtually all gone now because, with the exception of Morgan who can't get a regular start, currently we have a squad of journeymen. I'm really struggling to think of any others because Barker, having done really well, at the start of the season has been displaced by a 35 year old central midfielder and Vennings will be 21 in May and has started one League game - not just for us but for anyone!

Aaron Henry and Jeremy Santos are the next through the conveyor belt I think along with Ashley Maynard-Brewer and Charlie Barker. I agree with you on these points though, mismanagement in past has caused us to lose so many top young players. It’s unforgivable.  
  • RedRobin said:
    Chunes said:
    Davo55 said:
    How long was his first contract at Charlton - 2 years?  Comes through our academy soaking up free tuition, gets given his chance of first team football early, spends 50% of his contract getting paid whilst injured.  Refuses to sign a new one.  Thanks for the memories Alfie.
    Spot on. Young players like Doughty showing a complete lack of loyalty to the club that's developed them pisses me off more than most things in football.
    Never really understand this argument.  My bro in law just finished his apprenticeship at Ford, how long does he have to stay there out of loyalty then?  

Footballers aren’t supporters, they treat their club the same way we treat our employers, they move when bigger money and opportunities come along.

I don't suppose Ford picked your brother out of a kids team of child automobile workers and took a chance on him, trained him up for free for X amount of years, gave him his first job, or that Ford has a history of depending upon raising these kids and getting fees for them for survival?

For every Doughty there will be a dozen kids who have committed their young lives to becoming pros but are let go. That's all they ever wanted to do. They've travelled the country, made personal sacrifices to not go out with their mates and possibly even allowed their academic work to suffer as a result.

Or someone like Lapslie who is being told he isn't good enough. And he's a fan. But who really cares enough about him? Apart from those close to him probably very few.

I don't see many threads about how unfair we have treated them but plenty about how selfish a young player is in leaving the club or refusing to sign a contract for less than he might command in a career that will probably only last another 10 years or so.

The other point is that football is now, more than ever, a business. Doughty is a commodity or an investment. A commodity that has been mismanaged in the sense that the Club failed to secure him on a long term contract. As it did with Grant, Phillips etc etc. If it had managed the situation correctly then we might be talking about millions rather than hundreds of thousands for Doughty and it is that money which keeps a club going. And with most investments some go down in value and others go up but if you fail to look after that commodity the value will only go one way.

We have very few saleable assets left now. If we are so attached to these academy boys perhaps we should be asking the question why they have virtually all gone now because, with the exception of Morgan who can't get a regular start, currently we have a squad of journeymen. I'm really struggling to think of any others because Barker, having done really well, at the start of the season has been displaced by a 35 year old central midfielder and Vennings will be 21 in May and has started one League game - not just for us but for anyone!

Aaron Henry and Jeremy Santos are the next through the conveyor belt I think along with Ashley Maynard-Brewer and Charlie Barker. I agree with you on these points though, mismanagement in past has caused us to lose so many top young players. It’s unforgivable.  
    I’m so excited for these two, they’re certainly the real deal. I believe a lot of top clubs are already looking at Jeremy Santos 
  • RedRobin said:
    Chunes said:
    Davo55 said:

mismanagement from former owners rather than team managers... It is a travesty and must have been so frustrating for those trying to build competitive teams. I really do hope Alfie is the last hangover that we have to contend with. We will likely be a selling club for a long while yet, but hopefully TS will now command fair terms for top young talent which helps us to become stronger, not constantly weaker. So much to rebuild when you step back...
  • I will admit I mentioned Lindsay a couple of weeks ago. 

I often look at players who have impressed me who haven't settled in somewhere. 
  • Seen on a Twitter we are interested in Jayden Stockley of Preston.

remember him being pretty dominant up top against us last season.  Not hugely prolific but he led the line very very well.  I’d actually be pretty excited with him but we are up against a few other teams
  • Sponsored links:

• RedRobin said:
    Chunes said:
    Davo55 said:

I’m so excited for these two, they’re certainly the real deal. I believe a lot of top clubs are already looking at Jeremy Santos 
    I’ve only seen clips of Santos, the goal against West Ham in the FA youth cup but really like the look of Henry can see him breaking into the first team next season. 
  • RedRobin said:
    Chunes said:
    Davo55 said:

Aaron Henry and Jeremy Santos are the next through the conveyor belt I think along with Ashley Maynard-Brewer and Charlie Barker. 
    Thats the problem though, Bowyer has preferred to play a right back in the centre of defence (Gunter) along side an aging defensive midfielder (Pratley) instead of playing Barker (who seemed to do more than ok when he played a couple of  games there). I bet Bowyer wouldn't have been happy in 1996 if Curbs had played Steve Brown or Phil Chappell in midfield instead of himself. If you have a youth set up then you might as well play them. Otherwise move them on or get rid of the Academy altogether.
    Completely agree, Barker is so impressive, not quite Joe Gomez level but not a million miles off, good old fashioned defender that can play a bit too. Bowyer has his reasons I suppose but Pratley and Gunter were not great. 
  • AndyG said: 
    Barker did really well when he played for us, he was not overawed and seemed to enjoy the experience. Why he hasn't been utilised lately is a mystery to me
    I wondered that as well, wondered if it was all part of Lee’s mindset of fear of making mistakes, not having a super solid settled defence has killed us recently.
  • edited January 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:
    RedRobin said:
    Chunes said:
    Davo55 said:

He certainly looks alright!

Don't worry, if he gets in our 1st team squad, Lee Bowyer won't put up with any of that old nonsense.  :smile:

Gallen: "Like the look of this fella Bows!"
    Bowyer: "The lad looks like a left back/utility full back to me from these clips Galls... Can he do 60 minutes every other game?"
  • AndyG said:
    Barker did really well when he played for us, he was not overawed and seemed to enjoy the experience. Why he hasn't been utilised lately is a mystery to me
    Bowyer, would rather trust old pros like Pratley that worked well
  • Even if Bowyer doesn't think Barker is ready, what about our U23s, surely there must be someone who can step up and play CB?
  • Even if Bowyer doesn't think Barker is ready, what about our U23s, surely there must be someone who can step up and play CB?
    Mingi is very capable. Hopefully Oshilaja will step up and show up the folly of Bowyer’s team selections. I trust Jacko can talk some sense into him, failing that Sandgaard needs to interject.