Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rochdale Postponed - (Now 12th Jan)

edited November 2020 in General Charlton
With the November internationals approaching, I am guessing our tie against Rochdale will be postponed.

With that in mind would, I'd like to see Maddison and a few other bench warmers given a run out against Plymouth.
Whilst I wouldn't risk some of our first team picking up a few knocks, we need to give some fringe players a run.

Also, I bought the Fleetwood/Rochdale CAFCplayer package. With the match hypothetically suspended, will my pass be transferred to the next following home tie?

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5fa4047162a92/rochdale-home-fixture-postponed-due-to-international-break

Comments

• Options
    We have 4 people on international duty so I would be surprised if it's not called off
  • Options
    Charlton's four call-ups mean that the home fixture against Rochdale on November 14th is set to be postponed and will be announced once confirmed. #cafc
  • Options
    That'll be a shame.
  • Options
    Be interesting to find out should it be postponed, as some seems
    to say is possible, will be able to rearrange a game, as Ipswich did
    last month when their game was postponed, or rearrangements will
    start pilling up
  • Options
    3 weeks without a league fixture is a massive pain given we have such good momentum. I would have been tempted to play the game without Gunter, Williams, Levitt, Washington & Smyth.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    The problem is if we play players like Maddison, we have a chance of winning lol.

I would rather we just lost, dont care about The FA Cup this year, just get out of League 1 and next year we wont have to worry about 1st and 2nd round of it lol
    I never really get this way of thinking. These games give fringe/younger players an opportunity they may not get otherwise. Of course there's the risk of injuries but it's ideal for someone like Maddison wanting to get up to speed in a competitive game. 
    Or risk his injury becoming worse for a nothing game, why not just give him the extra time for recovery then with 10 games between 21st November and end of the year he has plenty of games to get up to speed in the competition 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    The problem is if we play players like Maddison, we have a chance of winning lol.

I would rather we just lost, dont care about The FA Cup this year, just get out of League 1 and next year we wont have to worry about 1st and 2nd round of it lol
    I never really get this way of thinking. These games give fringe/younger players an opportunity they may not get otherwise. Of course there's the risk of injuries but it's ideal for someone like Maddison wanting to get up to speed in a competitive game. 
    Or risk his injury becoming worse for a nothing game, why not just give him the extra time for recovery then with 10 games between 21st November and end of the year he has plenty of games to get up to speed in the competition 
    Surely Maddison is capable of playing 20 odd minutes. If he's not, then he shouldn't play. If he is, then he gets competitive minutes in a game which isn't as vital as others. He can get an injury in any game, and like I said, if he's not ready to play than he doesn't. As he was on the bench Tuesday I suspect he is. 
  • Options
    Talal said:

There's a risk in training. If Bowyer doesn't think it's worthwhile then he won't use him but I'd be surprised if he doesn't play some part. 
  • Options
    Talal said:

It's much about match sharpness as it is about fitness. Maddison's had 6 months of very limited playing time and will inevitably be rusty. He needs the game time if he's going to have any sort of impact other than bit part for the rest of this year.

Meaningless games like this and Tuesdays are perfect and I'd be worried if he wasn't chomping at the bit to get out there and show what he can do.
  • Options
    Think I'd prefer the game to be played if we can still get a decent team out. Especially as it's after two cup games where we can rest players. With the shortened season, postponing league games is just adding to the fixture congestion. And we can't know what injuries we're going to have in the future. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

I disagree with this opinion. Getting out of the league is a priority, but a cup run is great opportunity to get the lads who aren't yet match fit a chance for a run out.
    Also, who doesn't like a cup run?
    Me.
    Get out the cups, its going to be bad enough with games getting postponed because of international duties.
    The last thing we need is to have 3 games in hand over teams.

• Options
    Next league game on 21st November away at Gillingham then.

I think I’m ok with that. Yes we have some momentum but we were also starting to pick up injuries. This is a good chance for the squad to regroup ahead of another crazy period of fixtures throughout the rest of the year.
  • Options
    I know its not ideal and i’m probably in the minority but i’d just play the game anyway. It’ll mean we won’t have played a league game for nearly 3 weeks, potentially lose our momentum and having games in hand isn’t always that great. Better to be have points on the board early rather than chasing the pack, i think the game against Ipswich which was postponed we’ve squeezed into a already busy December? Matthews instead of Gunter at right back, Levitt doesn’t get a game anyway, Williams is often on the bench and didn’t even get on last game. Losing Washington is not great i admit. 
    I’ve wasted far too long on this post, when i simply could have said Saturdays without Charlton are boring. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    PopIcon said:

I disagree with this opinion. Getting out of the league is a priority, but a cup run is great opportunity to get the lads who aren't yet match fit a chance for a run out.
    Me.
    Get out the cups, its going to be bad enough with games getting postponed because of international duties.

Just think back to 1994. We were 2nd in the League in March, when we went to Old Trafford in the FA Cup Quarter-Final.
    Hell of a great day out, you had to be there and loads of us were - we still talk about it today, more than a quarter of a century afterwards.

We played well enough but lost 3-1 ......... and our season fell apart, finishing outside the playoff.
    That cup run quite possibly cost us promotion.

#itcanonlygetbetter

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    clb74 said:
    PopIcon said:

Me.

Just think back to 1994. We were 2nd in the League in March, when we went to Old Trafford in the FA Cup Quarter-Final.
    Hell of a great day out, you had to be there and loads of us were - we still talk about it today, more than a quarter of a century afterwards.

We played well enough but lost 3-1 ......... and our season fell apart, finishing outside the playoff.
    That cup run quite possibly cost us promotion.

#itcanonlygetbetter

Great day out, but there won’t be any of those this season. Hoping Ipswich and us lose Saturday.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    So as I see it, next league game we should have Famewo, Pearce, Oshilaja, Gilbey back in the squad, and Maddison fully fit.
  • Options

I never want to see my team lose!   NEVER!!! 

No matter what competition or friendly game I always want us to win, no matter what! 

• Options
    A cup run is a sign of a good team. Winning is a habit. If Bowyer doesn’t think his players are up to it then that is a sign of weakness.

• Options
    I know its not ideal and i’m probably in the minority but i’d just play the game anyway. It’ll mean we won’t have played a league game for nearly 3 weeks, potentially lose our momentum and having games in hand isn’t always that great. Better to be have points on the board early rather than chasing the pack, i think the game against Ipswich which was postponed we’ve squeezed into a already busy December? Matthews instead of Gunter at right back, Levitt doesn’t get a game anyway, Williams is often on the bench and didn’t even get on last game. Losing Washington is not great i admit. 
    I’ve wasted far too long on this post, when i simply could have said Saturdays without Charlton are boring. 
    Or we play a weakened team against Rochdale and only draw the match (or worse) dropping points

I always remember Russell Slade being sacked after we lost against Swindon, in a team without Lookman and Magennis
  • Options

The answer is obvious. Play all the players who need games to improve their match fitness, but in the wrong positions 

Maddison at LB, Levitt as a striker, Smyth at CB, Pearce as a winger etc  :D
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    The Ipswich game has been scheduled to be played on 2nd round day if both us & them get knocked out on Saturday. If we happen to get knocked out but Ipswich don't, but Rochdale do too, I wonder if we could play them instead. No fans to worry about so I cant see why not.
  • Options
    Looking at the fixture list in the November edition of the match programme, the Rochdale match was already down as being postponed, which was a bit premature, seeing that it was published a week before any players had been called up!
  • Options
    The Ipswich game has been scheduled to be played on 2nd round day if both us & them get knocked out on Saturday. If we happen to get knocked out but Ipswich don't, but Rochdale do too, I wonder if we could play them instead. No fans to worry about so I cant see why not.
    Might be a game in March (Crewe maybe?) that'll get called off due to Internationals too... Wonder if that is another possible one that can be brought forward - Ipswich and Blackpool did the same when the former were supposed to play us
  • Options

Information for those that bought the two game Valley Pass bundle including the Rochdale game.

We are just writing to let you know that the code you have already received will work for the re-arranged game. You will not need to receive another code and will just need to login to Valley Pass on the date of the game.